Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to wire in auxillary driving lamps

Views : 1746

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 20:56   #1
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default How to wire in auxillary driving lamps

As promised here is a mini "how to" on how to safely wire in auxillary lamps.

They are simple to wire in. You will need a suitable relay for the lamps (I use a 5 pin relay which gives two pins for output to lamps. (One works when the power to it is switched and the other when the power is off.) Also suitable cable and connectors.

I mount the relay on the bar on the inner wing that holds the headlamp relay and main power distribution from the battery.

From left to right - auxillary lamps relay, main power distributor, headlamp relay.

Firstly you need switching power - this is taken from the main beam circuit by tapping into the red/white wire. This connects to terminal 85. If you want the lights switched you would run the cable from the red/white wire to a switch on the dash and back to terminal 85.

The circuit for switching the relay is completed by connecting terminal 86 to earth. (I put the earth ring onto the securing screw for the rail)

Next you need power for the lamps this is taken from the distribution block (the cover pushes up to reveal the terminal)

This is connected to terminal 30. 87 and 87a provide output to the lamps. Connecting to 87 will put the lamps on when main beam is engaged. If 87a is used the lamp will come on at all other times (suitable for a switched fog lamp)

I normally use a two core cable to the lamps with the earth brought back from the lamp to a suitable earth point on the mounting rail.

If anyone has any problems feel free to PM me.

Mike

Edit: Link to original thread.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:39. Reason: link back to thread
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 16:40   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Don't forget to use suitably-gauged wire and fuses for the driving lamps - at 55watts/lamp the circuit would need about 12amps (55*2/12volts plus 25% switching allowance). I wired mine with a separate fuse for each lamp.

You might also wish to use different coloured wire for the different sections of the system for future fault tracing.