Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Air Intake Manifold Gasket

Views : 4061

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 18:37   #1
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default Replacing Air Intake Manifold Gasket

This is how I changed my A/I manifold gasket on my B200E engined 240. My method may have been a tad un-orthodox as I did'nt completely remove the manifold, I just moved it back enough to remove the old gasket, clean up & insert the new one. This saves dis-connecting the throttle 'assembly'.

1) Disconnect the battery, then remove the dizzy-cap. Disconnect the 'king lead' from the cap. Then placethe dizzy cap with the rest of the leads still connected, to one side. This just gives better access to the manifold.

2) Remove the pipes and the earth lead that are connected on top of the manifold.

3) Undo the jubilee clip holding the black 'bellows' to the underside of the manifold & ease the bellows from it

4) Undo & remove the support brace underneath the manifold.

5) Now you can begin to remove the bolts (8 in total) which hold the manifold in place. I only managed to get a socket onto two of these, I had to use a ring spanner with off-set head on the rest.

6) Once these nuts are removed you should find that you can lift the manifold up & away from the head. You may find that you need to remove two further hoses from below the manifold to allow it to move back sufficiently. Once away I found that it will sit safely.

7) Now you can ease the old gasket away from the head & wriggle it forwards towards the radiator, and out it comes.

8) Next step is to clean up the head. Make sure that all of the old gasket has been removed. I used Acetone to clean up. Also I was lucky in that the old gasket, despite being split came away cleanly. All that was needed in my case was a good clean up - no scraping required.

9) The new gasket can then be inserted working from the front.

10) Now the manifold can be lifted back over the studs. Whilst supporting the manifold replace the nuts, hand tight at first.
Once all are on, you can begin to tighten them, again support the manifold so that it is snug against the head.. Starting in the middle, go diagonaly & work to the outside till all are tight. Torque is specified at 16Ib ft. Mine are tighter I'm sure. You can only get a torque wrench onto the the frontmost & rearmost nut I found.

11) Re-connect the pipes under the manifold, then replace the under manifold support brace.

12) Re-connect the two pipes and earth lead. Then re-connect the dizzy, lead & battery.

Job done.

This took me just under two hours.
My gasket was suppled by GSF car parts. It was made by 'Elring' & cost £4.50 + VAT.

My Haynes says that you need to drain the coolant.This is only nesessary on models with a carb' as the manifold is liquid cooled (thanks Mike).
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 20:31   #2
stephend
Premier Member

Great write-up, thanks! And if you're going to the faff of moving the inlet manifold, it's a good opportunity to check out the breather system and clean out the flame trap. In fact, one of those jobs I was putting off because of the hassle of removing the inlet manifold...
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 21:06   #3
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Great write-up, thanks! And if you're going to the faff of moving the inlet manifold, it's a good opportunity to check out the breather system and clean out the flame trap. In fact, one of those jobs I was putting off because of the hassle of removing the inlet manifold...
That is a good point! Flame trap (PCV) cleaning/maintenance would be a darn sight easier with it out of the way! That said, it is by no means impossible working with the inlet manifold in place
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:45   #4
chesters6
Master Member

Now how about one with sound for replacing the exhaust side
i still havnt dared even try undoing the nuts on mine (well some are hexagon shaped so they could be nuts) to replace my pulsair pipe the shiny new one is winking at me every time i go in the spares box.
are the Studs a common size i hate driving 20 odd miles for little things from the volvo place i'm sure to snap them all

no amount of WD40 will help i'm sure
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:52   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
Now how about one with sound for replacing the exhaust side
i still havnt dared even try undoing the nuts on mine (well some are hexagon shaped so they could be nuts) to replace my pulsair pipe the shiny new one is winking at me every time i go in the spares box.
are the Studs a common size i hate driving 20 odd miles for little things from the volvo place i'm sure to snap them all

no amount of WD40 will help i'm sure
Hi Chesters, maybe we should have a competion for who has the rustier exhaust manifold? Like you I dread the thought of having to remove mine. Snapping studs would I'm sure, make me twitch as I do when near to wheel bearings - LOL
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 13:32   #6
chesters6
Master Member

you can only get better doing something thats already broke ,my pulsair is blowing so i might wait until it finally snaps and gunk cannot cure it for a few weeks anymore
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 15:48   #7
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

When it comes to exhaust manifolds I leavce it to the experts who have the right equipment including being able to heat them up and who also have spare studs if needed. For the cost involved it is hardly worth diy. Saying that when it comes to head gasket replacemnt if the manifold will undo I take it off otherwise undo at downpipe and let the guy who does the head sort it out including removing broken studs.

Edit Original thread here

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 12th, 2011 at 12:13.

Tags
air intake, gasket, manifold, replacement, volvo 240