Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to buy your basic tool kit

Views : 10599

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 13:22   #31
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I've got a mix of Britool, Half%r$s (I'm an FE/VX fan as well and can't type the Blue Oval's name out in full), Kamasa and a lot of American kit - mainly Sears Roebuck's "Craftsman" range with lifetime guarantee, about which they're serious: ratchet repair kits which have everything but the handle cost a cent each over the counter!
I've also obtained from a US trip a "Sidewinder" Ratchet - 3/8" drive with a T-handle that you twist to drive the head - it's ideal for those bolts you can see, get a socket on but can't turn a ratchet handle on - I'll post a photo as soon as I re-locate it and the camera!

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 14:13   #32
the_traveller
Master Member

I bought a 42 piece draper socket set new years eve for my 240. first socket set i have aver had. i still borrow my dads. best i could afford.

http://www.partridges.uk.com/catalog...roducts_id=902

And this morning my girlfriend came home with a 1ft-2ft extendable wheel wrench, and it works really well. cost her £1!! M&S sale!!

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 14:48   #33
chesters6
Master Member

disk cutter ?
i'v yet to find a decent broken stud remover and rounded nut undoer yet but the most usefull tool i have is long/deep sockets! got some in half inch but looking for a set of 1/4 3/8ths drive.
another great "tool" is those boxed allen and torx straight err keys with the sockets to fit your socket handle you can put more welly on them than the bent ones.

the set of allen keys mentioned earlier are great but saddly missing for some strange reason 7mm which my golf has aplenty ,i cannot find a single 7mm of the same type to add to the set to make up the deficiancy

Last edited by chesters6; Jan 4th, 2008 at 14:52.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 15:14   #34
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_traveller View Post
I bought a 42 piece draper socket set new years eve for my 240. first socket set i have aver had. i still borrow my dads. best i could afford.

http://www.partridges.uk.com/catalog...roducts_id=902

And this morning my girlfriend came home with a 1ft-2ft extendable wheel wrench, and it works really well. cost her £1!! M&S sale!!

Bargain! I got one a little while back when Lidl were selling some for £3. Some of the best money I spent last year as a week or so later I got a puncture on the M26 at about 0530 one November morning on the way to the channel tunnel. This made everything so much easier than trying to stand on the one supplied by Volvo to undo the wheelnuts.

If they're going for £1 in M&S, I'll be buying a couple more to keep in the other cars.