Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Turbo Actuator Bits or Whole Unit

Views : 3694

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 14:31   #1
Mr R Design

Default V70 D5 Turbo Actuator Bits or Whole Unit

My 2009 V70 D5 that is only just run in at 155k has developed a problem with the electronic turbo actuator in so much that the worm gear is worn.

The electronics are fine it is the gears that are the problem and they are causing an intermittent fault.

Has anyone got one lying about that the electrics are duff on but the gears are ok pretty please or even a knackered turbo with an ok actuator?

Or even just the housing part of the actuator with the gears in as I don't really need the whole unit? (the unit can even be mangled and broke as long as the bit with the gears in is ok)

I know I can get an exchange unit but the fault on the gears is not blatantly obvious as they are not broken and I am concerned that whoever I exchange it with will test it, not get a fault, and then sell it to some poor unsuspecting soul.

There are about half a dozen different numbers on my actuator but I think the important one that is needed is G27.

Thanks in advance and I am open to suggestions.
Mr R Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr R Design For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 13:56   #2
neilk63

Hi I have a 2008 V70D5 and have just come back from the main dealers I have had a water ingress into the actuator and it is corroded they clean it up but it wont set again ...as they are electronic apparently they cant get a separate actuator I have been told I will have to buy a complete new turbo and connectors at a price of
£800 +vat parts
£396+vat Labour
£1432.00 total ....all for a water leak

I assume you car will be the same if not please let me know asap

cheers

Neil

ps my Volvo has only 52k on the clock as well!!

Last edited by neilk63; Aug 20th, 2014 at 13:58. Reason: addition
neilk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 20:06   #3
Whitey1

Default Electronic actuator

I'm also in the middle of limp mode hell, high boost sticking actuator and running up stellar garage bills whilst decididing whether I need counselling, alcohol or a Saab as the alternative to this torture. Five weeks ago limp mode. Local garage (good all rounder) puts in computer. Low and high boost. Replace MAP sensor. Runs ok for ten miles then after it had stopped for ten mins goes back into limp mode. Change fuel filter just in case. No change. Decide to stick it into main Volvo dealer. £1040 later with new intercooler and front engine mount I set off. Ten miles later stop car, go for coffee, back to car ....limp mode. Furious with main dealer, give it back and they come back with.......needs a new turbo because the actuating arm is sticking when it's warmed up. About £1300 or do. Eh, no thanks. Take it back to local garage, show them what's happening. He frees actuating arm attachment to check and valves move easily so not bunged up. Therefore probably the electronic actuator. So back in touch with Volvo but no don't sell electronic actuator separately. Good grief! So I've found a place that will recondition actuator to a higher spec and give two year warranty for about £180 and all in all maybe an hour labour. Will feed back when it's all completed but I expect this to work. But tell me if you can do main dealers now employ fitters instead of mechanics and just read computer and remove and replace parts bit by bit till they get it right?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 20:09   #4
Whitey1

Smile Actuator

Link to actuator rebuild company. http://www.actronics.eu/en/
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 22:52   #5
Whitey1

Default Actuator update

OK here is the latest on this saga, and the news is better. The company ACtronics provided my local independent garage with my rebuilt actuator but only after querying the processes and the fault codes which had been undertaken and discovered before contacting them. They then agreed to look at the actuator and then after examination confirmed they had found it faulty. It was repaired and returned sealed with a caution that any breakage of the seal would invalidate their two year warranty. It cost £200 for the renovated part plus only two hours (non main dealer rates) labour..........a major saving over the franchised dealer quote of £800 plus VAT plus 4 hours labour. So far the car has run faultlessly including a 2000+miles trip to Austria fully laden, four adults plus heavy luggage to cover 5 days self-sufficiency. On this trip it averaged out at 57mph and 44.4mpg which i thought was pretty good. So the result so far is definitely that the actuator can be cured without resorting to a full new turbo. The new intercooler and front engine mount acquired along the way probably have helped but the improvement isn't particularly noticeable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitey1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 08:39   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Good to hear the result. Will be handy to know theres a cheap repair should any other owners have the same issue!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote