Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front lower suspension bush

Views : 7309

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:56   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default Front lower suspension bush

Hi All,

is it possible to change the front lower suspension bush as a DIY job on the floor, rather than up in the air?

I assume i'll need some suspension spring compressors? other than that, and normal sockets/spanners is anything else major needed?

thanks in advance.

Stu
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 21:50   #2
ianu
Premier Member

Hi Stu,
I assume you mean the whole wishbone including the bushes - I'd expect this to be the easier option unless you have access to some serious press hardware.

There is a pretty good 'how to' on here somewhere if you try searching for it. I've done it myself too and it's pretty straightforward if your confident with a spanner.
No special tools required over and above a torque wrench, a couple of axle stands, jacks (I used a trolley and bottle jack), and some webbing came in handy too.
I managed without a spring compressor using the bottle jack to slowly release the tension on the strut (and wind it back up again).
I used the webbing strap to pull the wishbone down against the tension in the bushes to be able to release the bottom ball joint, and likewise to slot it back into the new w/bone.

It's really not a complicated job - you just need to manage the tension in all the right places very carefully so you don't lose a fingernail (thick gloves help). Make sure you have the right socket sizes (18 and 22mm spring to mind)..

Seriously - there is a great 'how to' on here that one of the team has posted that claims about an hour all in..... hmm I allowed all day and was glad I did but that was more nerves than incompetance on my part I like to think :-)
The second one was definitely a lot quicker having mastered the technique of splitting the ball joint (socket extension bar and @*&king big hammer on just the right spot).

AS always - safety first. It's a very heavy car to drop in your lap. The front strut spring will bite you if it slips off anything you have holding it and you're in the way and worth having someone around nearby if you need them.

Chuffed to bits when I'd done it though - good luck.

cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 09:02   #3
Beavis
Premier Member

Hi Ian, Thanks very much for the detailed response. i was originally going to just change the bushes, and hope i could get them out of the wishbone using a big vice and a couple of sockets to push them through (like i've seen in Wheeler Dealers). i'll weigh up the cost of wishbone + bushes v's bushes. I'll see if i can find the other "how to" you mentioned.

i'm fairly handy with a spanner, so wanted to give it a go myself, but the instructions on Vida make it sound a lot harder than what i thought it should be.

thanks

Stu
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:34   #4
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

FWIW - just had all 4 wishbone bushes changed on mine to try and cure a f/o/s knocking (which turned out to be knackered damper) - local indy swapped them out and said it was a bit of a pig to press them out/in and next time would suggest just a full wishbone replacement.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockhopper For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:58   #5
Beavis
Premier Member

Many thanks Rockhopper. I will weigh up cost v's time/motion/hassle.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 23:13   #6
greenfingers

By the time you have removed the wishbone, surely it would be simpler to just replace the whole assembly than to then try and remove and replace the front bush?
I remember the trouble I went to grinding off the rivets on one my van's ball joints, so I could save 40 quid in parts rather than replace the whole wishbone.
If I remember correctly, the XC90 wishbone was only about 80 quid all in, and the bush would cost over 30 on it's own.
However, you may feel a gain from enduring the pain!
greenfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 16:17   #7
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfingers View Post
By the time you have removed the wishbone, surely it would be simpler to just replace the whole assembly than to then try and remove and replace the front bush?
I remember the trouble I went to grinding off the rivets on one my van's ball joints, so I could save 40 quid in parts rather than replace the whole wishbone.
If I remember correctly, the XC90 wishbone was only about 80 quid all in, and the bush would cost over 30 on it's own.
However, you may feel a gain from enduring the pain!
you're right. i was expecting about £20 per bush, so i was going to do 4 bushes and 1 ball joint, but i've just been quoted £197 (from FRF) all in for 4 bushes and a ball joint (which was £47) so will now cost up the complete wishbone, which i've seen on ebay for about £70 for a patent part.

if i could have saved a chunk on just replacing the bushes i would have considered it.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 21:11   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
you're right. i was expecting about £20 per bush, so i was going to do 4 bushes and 1 ball joint, but i've just been quoted £197 (from FRF) all in for 4 bushes and a ball joint (which was £47) so will now cost up the complete wishbone, which i've seen on ebay for about £70 for a patent part.

if i could have saved a chunk on just replacing the bushes i would have considered it.
Be carefull before you buy. Non Volvo suspension parts have caused steering issues and ended up being replaced with the real deal. Give the forum a chance to respond more fully before you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 21:49   #9
Beavis
Premier Member

cheers Roy, as the estimated cost is now over £100 regardless of if i do just bushes or the entire wishbone, i'll now wait a few months and see what more i can find out about those patent ones. i was hoping to get a "cheap" repair done over spring.

the bushes are not dangerous, just a recent MOT advisory on the front wheel, rear bushes, and i was going to do them as i was going to get a 4 wheel alignment done, but i'll put both on hold now as its a bit more than i was wanting to pay.

i'll probably go volvo parts anyway - as a car of that size needs good parts, and the quality of volvos part is usually superior to patent parts.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 21:59   #10
bullseal

I have to echo Roy's comment...definitely use Volvo parts. I made the mistake of using front suspension arms from Euro car parts on my 03 XC90....frightening !!!
Soon had them changed to Volvo parts.

Tony
bullseal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bullseal For This Useful Post: