Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200E Saloon Auto, 146k, fsh, Excellent Car.

Views : 1389

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2011, 19:33   #1
JCL

Default B200E Saloon Auto, 146k, fsh, Excellent Car.

I have two 240 2.0i Auto's one in white and one in red and one of them has to go and my wife and I prefer the white colour and it has lower miles, it was a tricky decision as they are both sound cars and very pleasing on the eye.

240 GL 146k miles fsh upto 18k miles ago DIY servicing since. A huge folder of history and original owners pack includung the fully stamped service book and original spare keys. Four previous owners. No rust or bodywork issues anywhere, drives and stops as it should. Went straight through its last MOT in October with no advisories. New discs, pads, power steering pump and tyres recently, and I spent a small fortune having the heater motor professionally replaced two months ago.

One fly in the ointment would be slight wear in the power steering rack (seals) as on cold mornings it takes 30 seconds to warm up and activate fully.

She is a lovely car which never fails to start or misses a beat, I would drive to Scotland in her tomorrow (if I could afford the fuel!), reluctant sale but I cannot justify running two....or so the wife tells me.

A very reasonable £695 asked.

Any questions or to arrange a test call Jon 07919897509. I accept that the IOW maybe akward to view so I would be happy to discuss bringing her over the water for any serious party.

Don't make me have to Ebay her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047.JPG (215.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 053.JPG (242.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 050.JPG (166.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0277.JPG (195.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0479.JPG (199.7 KB, 36 views)
JCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 10:18   #2
Mike1967
Premier Member

Hi Jon ... out of interest is there any tax left on the car , also any movement in price .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 20:56   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Sure I recognise that car - it's pretty distinctive!

Looks very nice. It's featured on here before I'm fairly sure.

Did it not once belong to Southampton FC?

Good luck with the sale - if it was white and under £500 I could be tempted - maybe!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 22:02   #4
JCL

Mike the car has 10 months tax but I am sorry but that cannot be included at the price area I'm asking. The wife taxed it for a year 2 months ago (£205) and will want her share back unless an agreeable deal is done with a buyer. Regards movement on price, a little! £600 without the tax is the lowest I will go at this early stage of marketing her.

Jack, she did previously belong to a fellow owners club member some year ago and yes the original owner was Southampton Football club as it was the then managers company car and the initial 100k miles were done by him on the motorways heading all over the UK to away games.. The service book is stamped by the original supplying main dealer in Southampton 'Rudds' throughout that period.... in fact if you enlarge the photos you'll see the original number plate and tax disc holder have 'Rudds of Southampoton' printed... nice original touches.

Incidentally I replaced the plugs, oil & filter, air filter, distributor cap & rotar arm, power steering fluid and checked all other fluids for level and condition 800 miles ago.. greased all hinges, replaced every fuse and cleaned each contact etc etc etc.... in other words although DIY maintained the past couple of years I have done it with much love!

Thank you for the interest gentlemen.

Jon

Last edited by JCL; Mar 18th, 2011 at 22:09.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JCL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 06:12   #5
JCL

Default Price Reduction in am effort to keep her from Ebay!

£580 so a substantial reduction. Based on my not wanting to ebay her and also I admit that every day she sits I lose on the excise and insurance refund. She's an excellent very eyecatching car with gleaming rustfree bodywork which i detailed/cutted over a week of hard work and sweat!

Jon
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 07:41   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Jon

Good luck with selling the red 240 - I hope you get a good price.

If I may make a few observations?

1. Ditch the photo of the front of the car with the headlamp washer pipe hanging off!

2. Advertising it on here's great, but it's a very limited audience - we've all got Volvos already! Try http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/cat//102/240/ for a week or two.

3. If you're not using the car why not SORN it and get your road tax back? You're just losing money otherwise.

4. Accept it might be a tough sell. It's possibly not the best colour (you say yourself you prefer your white 240!), it's a 2 litre, not the preferred 2.3, it's an auto - not everyone's taste, and you're located where 99% of the population would struggle to get to you!

5. When wording you ad emphasise the car's good points and think about why someone might want it. At the moment it just sounds as though your Missus wants rid of it. A buyer is more interested in what the car will do for him or her, not really what it's already done for your domestic situation!!

6. Cutting the price so fast hints at desperation!

7. Don't threaten your audience with Ebay! It's make people think 'he's desperate and in a week or two that car will be on Ebay. The market is flat, he probably won't shift it, and if he does put it on Ebay there's a chance I'll get it for a song!'

8. There are quite a few 240 saloons for sale and they've stuck, but a couple (equally as nice as yours) have recently gone for £995. The vendors took their time and were canny with their marketing. But there's a Jersey-based 240 on at £1995. It's with a trader, and he's clearly prepared to sit it out. A nice white 2 litre GL auto was up at a dealer in Slough before Christmas at £795. He put it up to £995 when the weather improved - and the car sold wihtin a couple of weeks!

9. The market is still flat, it's a bit early in the year for the classic car brigade to be out in force, there are issues of geography, petrol prices are through the roof, and a buying big old gas-guzzler isn't at the top of everyone's priority list.

10. Don't suggest it's expensive to run!!!!!!!!!!!! If you state that you can't afford the fuel then anyone reading it is going to put off by the thought of the fuel consumption! In fact the car will probably not end up as a daily driver , so fuel consumption probably isn't an issue - unless you make it one! I'll bet the insurance costs are very low so why not stress that? Also, it will almost certainly have an overdrive - which improves fuel economy - so mention it!

11. If the tyres are good then say so! Tyres are expensive, and so if the buyer doesn't need to worry for the foreseeable future then that's a plus! Ditto the exhaust, and do mention the most recent cambelt change. Mention it's footballing and VOC provenance too! That makes it a little bit special at least!

12. Accept that it may take a few weeks to sell. Geography is against you so make sure that any photos you use tell the prospective buyer enough about the car to make it a one-visit purchase! The current mix of old and slightly foggy new pictures is a bit off-putting I'm afraid.

Good luck with this. It looks a nice car, you've clearly looked after it, and both the car and you deserve a good price!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Mar 19th, 2011 at 07:47.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 15:07   #7
minesa240x3
loyalty

Very good advice Jack,I have also noticed the poor end price on some amazing cars.
I would love to own the exceptional 240 estate on here but as I already have to many cars it would have to have the 2.3L and also a manual box.Having said that theres nothing actually wrong with the 2.0L and auto,Just that I already have one which is nowhere as good in condition.

You really have to sell them these days so everything you say is spot on!
Just wish I had unlimited funding as I would clear up a lot of cars right now.

I admired this car when he first posted some pictures of it,and it's a credit to him.
Kind regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 16:51   #8
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

I seem to remember that he bought it on ebay.
Car and classic is a good site maybe even try an ad in free papers the good old for sale sign in the window wouldnt hurt. If you do sorn it then prospective buyers wouldnt be able to test drive!

Good luck with the sale.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 17:20   #9
DW42

That's a very nice looking saloon, and has me tempted to give up on my own gold 240GL auto 2.0 saloon that I bought last year for £250 and buy yours. The previous owner of mine believed that maintenance meant oil, filter and cambelt changes, and a lot of polish, but nothing else. I've been steadily going through it, and have rear bushes, mad temp gauge, wobbly front seat back, and a little rust still to take care of. However, I think I've invested too much time into my purchase already to switch. The auto 2.0 k-jet 240s really are quite nice to drive. Best of luck with your sale, and I'll still be kicking myself for a little while.

David

1971 144DL saloon, M40 (daily driver)
1988 240GL saloon, AW70, B200E
DW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 17:32   #10
JCL

Many many thanks for the well thought out suggestions and pointers, especially to Jack. All very valid points duly noted. I guess I assumed that folk on here know the cars so well that I could merely keep oit simple, honest and to the point rather than 'sell' the good points of ownership etc. Strangely enough I am not desperate to sell and regret my sudden reduction in price. I could sorn and cover her up if needs be. I have both 240's insured with Footman James on a multi car policy for me aged 38 and the wife aged 32 comprehensive with all the fee ad on incl breakdown for a very reasonable £189. I have paid more than that for a C90 years ago!

I should photograph the two of mine together, nice location by the sea locally to me just in case she does sell.

Thanks again gents.

Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JCL For This Useful Post: