Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 Recharge slow charging

Views : 735

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 21:06   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Frankly it is all a bit odd for the UK.

Basically if you have a domestic single phase 230v supply you will have 2 options of charger:

Either a 16amp supply to a 3.7kw charger
Or a 32amp supply to a 7kw charger

This is pretty much the only 2 options for 99% of UK homes with a 230v supply.

Then commercially you have more options. If you have a 3 phase 400v commercial supply you could install either an 11kw charger or a 22kw charger.

If this is what you are using then the T8 will charge at up to 7kw.

The above are pretty much the only options using AC. Fast chargers use DC and utilise the 2 additional pins below the 7 pin socket.

So back to the car. Volvo has provided a car which will charge only up to 3.7kw on a domestic install (which kind of makes sense), or up to 7kw but only on a commercial install (which would only ever be rated at either 11 or 22). Nobody installs a 7kw charger on a 3 phase supply.

If the charger was just 3.7kw it would make sense.

If it was just 7kw (single phase it would make sense)

If it was 3.7/11 it would make sense as would 3.7/22. But what it is (3.7/7) makes no sense.

I am now intrigued as to my EX30 which is due in about 2 months. It says it can charge at 22kw (because it is the ultra model), but will it be 3.7/22 or 7/22? Anyone know? Is it worth me re-wiring my pod point to be a 7kw charger at home or is it going to not make a jot of difference?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 14:03   #12
Joe H

How can I tell what rate my car is charging at? I don't remember seeing any display in the car or App.
New T6 Recharge owner so may be missing the obvious.
Thanks
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 14:52   #13
EasyTiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
How can I tell what rate my car is charging at? I don't remember seeing any display in the car or App.
Thanks
Joe
You are not missing the obvious, it is not displayed in either the car or the app. I can't believe it would be very difficult to implement in software as its available in the developer API, but like so many other basic features it is missing. The only way of knowing the actual charging rate is to check the app for the charger you are using
EasyTiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EasyTiger75 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 17:58   #14
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Thanks
Joe
Yup as mention via your charger app or calculate from it your smart meter in house display