Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon battery?

Views : 1463

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2010, 21:59   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Amazon battery?

So it turns out that my dead starter motor was actually a dead battery!

The battery in my Amazon is, like many things in the car, a bodge job. The battery is far too big, so a home-made bracket has been added to hold it in place with the assistance of a large piece of wood jammed down the back.

So now I need a new battery and am looking forward to buying one that will actually fit inside the car properly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for batteries that will fit nicely into the tray? I want something good quality and don't mind paying a bit extra to get a decent one.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 22:06   #2
Moosejaw
Premier Member

If you've got a Europarts or GSF near you, their budget job is perfectly good for an Amazon, and was about £40 IIRC.
You want a number 065, I remember it being the same size as the one I bought for my Alfa 156.
I've had it in for about a year now, the car erupts into life even after being left outside in winter for weeks at a time.

Avoid Halfords or Kwik Fit, they'll sell you a battery all right, but it'll be double the price of the Europarts one.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 22:12   #3
Faust
Master Member

There's a Eurocar parts place just near where my boyfriend works in Nottingham... he'll be going down there tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice.
Old May 13th, 2010, 13:13   #4
TomTom
Master Member

I'll have a look this eve at which Halfords battery I got last month. It was expensive but gives wonderful peace of mind in the winter.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 00:43   #5
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Originally my 121 had a pish little thing from a Reliant Robin in there. Gordon was horrified.

It's currently got an 063 (undersized I know) but I have an 065 equivalent Bosch waiting to go in (their numbering system is odd). It's three months old and came out of a stuffed Mi16 engined Peugeot 205. Guess how it got crashed, you'll all be STUNNED.
Old May 18th, 2010, 22:14   #6
Faust
Master Member

Unhappy

I picked up a new battery from Euro Car Parts today.

Now the problem is that the bodged bracket created for the old oversized battery won't fit. As the battery tray has no lip, I'm assuming that at one point there would have been a properly fitting battery bracket/clamp type thing?

If so, does anyone know where I could get one from?

I'm really annoyed - I've not been able to drive the car for bloody ages and was really looking forward to taking him out for a spin tomorrow. If he was utterly broken, it wouldn't be so bad, but just for the want of two shorter bits of metal, the whole car is still off the road
Old May 18th, 2010, 22:41   #7
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Vehicle Wiring Products in Ilkeston have this which I fitted to my Amazon:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...s/battaccs.php

I had to shorten the studded bar a bit with a hacksaw but it works well. I used cable ties before that
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 23:12   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Dont worry about it. You just got to stop it moving around till you get the proper brackets. I still have cable ties holding mine on! If you do use ties though, make sure you use good strong ones. Get yourself out for a spin tomorrow!
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:51   #9
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

So irratating when it's something so simple stopping you from going for a buzz in an Amazon!

I had a piece of wood wedged between my clamp and the battery for yonks until I finally got around to getting the correct sized clamp!
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 20:38   #10
Faust
Master Member

Cable ties! Is there nothing they can't do...

Why didn't I think of cable ties! I recently bought a big bag of extra long cable ties thinking that they'd come in handy for something

I'll have a fettle tomorrow morning with the ties, and may have chance to get over to Ilkeston on Friday. (Need to go over there to Salvo for some stuff for the V70 anyway)

Excellent, many thanks!