Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fluid leak help needed

Views : 789

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2017, 13:46   #1
jademcquade

Default Fluid leak help needed

Hi there,

I have noticed recently that there's fluid dripping from underneath my car. I've noticed it dripping off the bottom of my engine, which part I'm not sure but I've taken a a picture so something can maybe help identify what part it is.

The fluid seems to be running along the bottom of a large engine part then dripping off every few seconds. I've only noticed this after the car has been running and has done my 15 mile commute to work. I've not noticed it when the car has been sitting and not having been driven e.g. first thing in the morning before engine start.

I've checked the engine oil which looks fine. I'll check the other fluids too if they are easy enough to check. I've also smelled burning when I have been driving recently but am sure it's not the breaks etc as they have been done recently.

From what I've ready burning can be a symptom of low transmission fluid. Can anyone tell from my photo what engine part the oil is closest too? It's the front nearside of the car. The car is an auto transmission.

Any help greatly appreciated. I don't have engine skills or tools but it would be good to have a rough idea what might be the problem before seeking help from a garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluid_leak_annotated.jpg (54.0 KB, 28 views)
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 13:53   #2
Petey80
Premier Member

It could be the A/C unit dripping. Condensation due to being cold and the heat we're having.

Have you checked the fluid on the floor for colour and consistency?

Noticed it the other day on my V50 and got a bit worried. But a quick search found it was the A/C system.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 15:51   #3
jademcquade

Thanks Petey,

I didn't have too close an inspection of the fluid but I will do next time. The consistency looks more like water, or some other thin fluid, than it does oil. I'm also certain it's not an oily substance as there's not stains on my monoblock on the drive way. So if it's leaking when I drive it in when I return home I'd expect it to stain.

I'll check to see that it is dripping when I get home but I believe whatever it is dries up quickly and doesn't leave a lasting oily stain.

Just as an aside, I haven't ever used the AC in my car and I'm not sure if it works. Also something odd happens with the air blower in my cabin. If I flip the switch to have my blower on at number 1 it will run on low for a few seconds then will run faster and blow more air through for a few seconds, then it will go slow then speed up again intermittently without me adjusting the controls. Not sure if this could be related but it drives me nuts.

I think I just have the blower switched off at all times and if I'm too hot put the windows down :-(
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 16:07   #4
canis
Non Fragile

On a V40, just about every fluid in the car goes through vaguely that area. Fuel lines, brake pipes, power steering, the gearbox is there, air con too.

But if it's dripping off the "engine", I'd suspect the clutch slave cylinder first. Gear oil is very thick, hydraulic fluid will feel greasy but thin.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 16:20   #5
jademcquade

Thanks canis, I should have just said dripping off a mechanical part as it may not be the engine, I use the term loosely due to my lack of knowledge.

It's definitely a thin liquid. The car is an automatic and I believe the part you mentioned is only used on manual cars? So it may not be that.

I'll likely take the car to a garage but it would be good to try to narrow it down to see how quickly I need to get it there :-(
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 17:41   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Ah, automatic, sorry didn't see that before. Although they also work by hydraulic fluid. Does the fluid have any colour to it? Power steering is also hydraulic, and usually deeply coloured. I think red, but might be wrong, it's not something I look at everyday.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 18:45   #7
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

check all your fluid levels each day (including trans fluid). It looks to be dripping enough that a low level somewhere will eventually show itself UNLESS it is the AC purging itself of water which is totally normal. Be sure to check trans fluid while engine is warm (after driving for 10min). Dipstick is located below and to the right of the intake manifold - it's a yellow dipstick down low. How are your brakes? It could be brake fluid dripping down from the flex hose. Rub it between your fingers and take a sniff, brake fluid has a very distinct (chemical-like) smell. Open up the brake fluid reservoir and take a sniff - you'll know what I mean. In fact, if you can, get a gob of it on your hand and pop open each reservoir to see if you can find a matching smell: :-)
- power steering
- transmission oil
- engine oil - you could probably figure that one out
- Coolant (be sure NOT to open reservoir when engine is hot)
- Windshield washer fluid

If it's not leaving a trace in the drive though, it's not engine oil, trans oil or power steering fluid....

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 22:12   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Almost sure it is the condensate from the aircon. The vent pipe is on the bulkhead just above where the water is dripping from. Lift the bonnet and look down the back of the engine on the passenger side and you will see an angled rubber pipe that just hangs down from the bulkhead, about 75mm long, this is drain pipe and should dribble in hot weather.

You say you do not use the aircon, but on a 2003 sport lux you will have climate control where you can dial a temperature and the system automatically maintains that temperature. That is why your fan is erratic at times because the system is adjusting itself to reach the set temperature as quickly as possible and then maintains the temperature. It could be that the climate has been working without you realising, hence the puddle under the car. Any other fluid leaking would stain your block paving faster than a fast thing going fast.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 16:05   #9
druid
V40 Owner

It was described to me as looking like gonzo's nose and I found it!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post: