Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel pumps

Views : 1962

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 13:33   #1
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Default fuel pumps

Im going to be replacing the in-tank pump on my 240 soon with a top notch high pressure pump and it got me thinking.

Arent 240s a twin pump setup with an intank and external?

If thats the case, where is the external pump located and how do I go about removing it completely from the system since the in tank pump Im fitting is more than capable of supplying what I need for this engine and any future specs as wild as my dreams can create. If a jobs worht doing, its worth over doing!

Im guessing the external pump will be on the little shelf just in front of the rear wheel on the left hand side?

And just to clarify, the cars a 1988 GLT that was running K-Jet.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 14:16   #2
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Im guessing the external pump will be on the little shelf just in front of the rear wheel on the left hand side?
Yep.

Out of interest, why can't you just replace the main pump with a more powerful one and leave the in-tank one alone? Seems like it'd be easier.
leftfootleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 16:34   #3
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Because I found an in tank pump that was much better for a far cheaper price than an external one.

I'd rather keep the internal and bin the external than have to fanny around with two pumps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 16:40   #4
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Fair enough. Replacing the two prone-to-fail pumps with one strong one seems like a good idea. The internal one's more difficult to replace (and I had assumed find an uprated one that fits) but if it's cheaper then why not.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 16:50   #5
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Finding an internal one was a doddle. There are a whole range of in tank uprated pumps available since most Jap cars use them. You can get them rated up to about 1100hp now depending on the size of the fuel lines you use.

I was just wondering how to ditch the external. If its simnply a case of removing it and piping between it.

To be honest I havent looked at it to assess the situation. Im sure once I have, ill find things will slide into place.

More time spent lying under the car in the dark surrounded by LED lights I suppose!

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 17:03   #6
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

I assumed finding one which would fit would be more of a problem but I haven't actually replaced one myself so I don't know exactly what the setup is so if you've found one, great. (1100hp? Good luck running that off a 12V battery)

The input and output hoses are different sizes but I'm sure you could get an adapter. Obviously the hose into the back of the main pump is going to be seeing higher pressure than previously, but the standard rating seems to be 300psi with a 3:1 safety factor anyway so plenty of headroom. Good luck!
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 17:58   #7
wooble
Stay gold baby!

yours was originally a GLT, right? the main high-pressure pump is on a cradle bolted under the car, just ahead of the tank on the passenger side, along with another doodad whose name I forget, but I believe is a combination pressure regulator/pressure wave damper. on LH cars that doodad is replaced by the filter, which moved back there from the firewall.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 18:00   #8
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
another doodad whose name I forget, but I believe is a combination pressure regulator/pressure wave damper.
Believe you mean the accumulator, but that's basically what it is.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 19:57   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootleashed View Post
Believe you mean the accumulator, but that's basically what it is.
that's the name I was grasping for. oh, and I remembered something else - something at the back of my mind tells me Volvo used a strange non-standard size for the high-pressure fuel hoses and barbs which is a pain to find - worth bearing in mind.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 20:41   #10
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
something at the back of my mind tells me Volvo used a strange non-standard size for the high-pressure fuel hoses and barbs which is a pain to find - worth bearing in mind.
There's a short piece of rigid fuel line out of the pump into the accumulator. Mine had a tiny leak and I just took the old bit to the motor factors and got a piece of overbraided hose the same ID. I've heard you can get the part from Volvo but it's hideously expensive (though it probably includes the joints, banjo, etc.). Standard fuel hose is rated to 300psi though, as I said, which is more than enough. I don't know the ID of the hose but can measure the spare bits if necessary.