Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member with speedometer problem

Views : 119

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2024, 14:10   #1
Keith FS

Default New member with speedometer problem

Hello everyone, I have a 34 year old 740 GLE in fair condition which I purchased from a friend in UK 11 years ago. I have a home in France and my wife and I moved our permanent residence to France in August 20. The car is now French registered as a "Vehicule de Collection" which requires the car to be over 30 years old, the main advantage is that it only requires a Controle Technique (French MOT) every 5 years.
My problem concerns a non functioning speedometer, I had problems with the odometer recently and changed the very small gears in the speedo, this worked for a while but now the speedometer has ceased to function completely. I found the lead to the sensor in the differential was damaged and replaced the plug and damaged wire. This did not do the trick so I purchased a sensor and received Volvo part no 1398321, (quite expensive) this was for a vehicle with ABS, and mine is not ABS. I did fit the new part but that did not work, they are quite different. I have searched ebay etc but the only reference I find is that the part I need is "no longer available" I have attached an image which seems to be the part I require. If anyone can suggest a source I would be very grateful. The ABS sensor is available should it be of interest to anyone, photo attached (grey background)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 740 speed sensor.jpg (17.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ABS Speed sensor.jpg (80.0 KB, 6 views)
Keith FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 15:54   #2
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default OEM vs aftermarket

The sensor with grey background is sold here in The Netherlands as the original Volvo OEM sensor. The other sesnor is sold here as an aftermarket replacement one. Both are sold as replacement for p/n 1398321, so apperantly they are interchangeable. The only thing the sensor does, is reading the holes in a ring as they pass by when the wheels are rotating, and send a pulse to the speedometer. The ABS computer (if fitted) uses the same signal (it controls the front wheels individually and the rear wheels as a pair). This has no influence on the sensor itself.
The aftermarket one is 120 Euro, the OEM one 189 Euro.
https://www.estateservices.nl/volvo-...-v90-1999.html
https://www.estateservices.nl/volvo-...-v90-1998.html
The information is in Dutch, but the pictures are universal and Google translate will get you through the rest. ("starre as" means live axle).
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: