Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 brake lights fault

Views : 287

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 14:12   #1
ns1234567

Default V90 brake lights fault

Hello

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this please - the centre brake light works - but the two at the side don't - checked the bulbs and they are fine...

Thanks
ns1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 16:20   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1234567 View Post
Hello

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this please - the centre brake light works - but the two at the side don't - checked the bulbs and they are fine...

Thanks
Renew the bulbs, clean the contact springs on the bulb holedr to bulb connections including the outer earth connection inside the bulbholder, clean the contacts on the lamp assembly where the bulbholder contacs them and test.

Chances are the old bulbs are U/S but you could simply try rubbing the base contacts across the grain of your jeans, this will clean them surprisingly well.

Make sure they go back in the correct way, the pins on the side are designed so they can only be fitted one way easily, some people force them in the other way ruining the bulbholder and interposing the tail and stop light functions which is just plain wrong.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 15:48   #3
derek vivian

Default V90 brake lights

I had this problem a couple of years ago and discovered it was an earth cable fault. Worth double checking this and I hope it sorts it for you.
derek vivian is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post: