Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Turbo conversion

Views : 1044

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 23:09   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvC View Post
Entirely NOT helpful lol. I don't need anymore temptations. Have you known anyone to do it in the UK?
The way i see it is if you're going to be tempted, be tempted by something that not many others will have and even better if it's something you can't get "off the shelf".

The LS 400 1UZ is still tunable but with a starting figure of #250bhp and that lovely V8 rumble (they sound nice decatted with straight through boxes, one in my village like it) and torque, you may not want to go too mad on the tuning. To get a red block, even a turbo one to 250bhp, you've still got to spend money and put more stress on the engine.

If the 240 you buy was registered before cats were mandatory then even fitting a newer engine wouldn't alter the emissions so you could decat it and only have to get it under 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC for the emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I do

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread...ke-best-noises

Have a read of this thread.... a good read even if you don’t want to take that route.

Cheers
Thanks for that, definitely a good read but i had to stop or i would have been buying a "spares or repairs" LS400 on fleabay and making engine mounts etc to drop it in my 760...........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 01:57   #12
StvC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I do

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread...ke-best-noises

Have a read of this thread.... a good read even if you don’t want to take that route.

Cheers
I just finished it lol (3 hours). 100% not studying for a Philosopphy Assignment due in on Thursday lol.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StvC For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 02:03   #13
StvC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The way i see it is if you're going to be tempted, be tempted by something that not many others will have and even better if it's something you can't get "off the shelf".

The LS 400 1UZ is still tunable but with a starting figure of #250bhp and that lovely V8 rumble (they sound nice decatted with straight through boxes, one in my village like it) and torque, you may not want to go too mad on the tuning. To get a red block, even a turbo one to 250bhp, you've still got to spend money and put more stress on the engine.

If the 240 you buy was registered before cats were mandatory then even fitting a newer engine wouldn't alter the emissions so you could decat it and only have to get it under 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC for the emissions.

Thanks for that, definitely a good read but i had to stop or i would have been buying a "spares or repairs" LS400 on fleabay and making engine mounts etc to drop it in my 760...........
Yup, I think you're right but I am limited somewhat by who I can find to do the work and what price they will charge. Of course I'd love to do it myself, but I have way too much else on outside of the car world.

I was planning a cheeky front wing exit exhaust which would be obnoxious, so all your points re catalytic converters are pertinent.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StvC For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 11:30   #14
heckflosse
Premier Member

Go for an older engine and then the MOT emissions test is based on the age of that rather than the shell it sits in. So , pre 75 SBC it is then..
Turbo redblocks are fun and can still loook factory enough to be a classic rather than modified

Last edited by heckflosse; Mar 31st, 2021 at 13:21.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 20:53   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

What year 240 are you thinking of putting it into?

If the car is pre cat then no need for one and if the engine being used is pre cat then no need for one
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 18:07   #16
heckflosse
Premier Member

Just a thought on Emissions, my 265 shell is 1979, engine was 1988 230 ET, no cat and a Classic Swede exhaust . Using LH2.4 now on the 230 turbo engine,. CO was only just over 1% anyway and HC nice and low at idle, so dont fret too much. If you have to have a Cat is it really such a problem? You can get high flow ones I believe.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote