Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46085

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 22:30   #511
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The ATE calipers use a pin with a rotating collar that corrodes into the fixing hole in the caliper and will only go in in one direction (and probably never come back out). (Speaks the voice of experience from then Exxo Valdez.)
That got me thinking so i investigated the HBoF while in the "library" earlier. Bear in mind this is for my 760 and i don't know if the ATE calipers were changed for that from the 240 but apprently the piston in the caliper has to be set using a fairly simple 20deg angle gauge tool at a certain rotary position.

Putting 2 and 2 togehter and perhaps coming up with 5 (as i've never had a rear caliper problem on a Volvo so have never investigated further) would i be right in thinking the pin you refer to only allows the piston to retract when in that 20deg position - rather like a keyway on a shaft and pulley?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 11:29   #512
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Dave,

I have not tried this and all possible disclaimers are hereby deployed. Including I never did say this.

In a well known supermarket with a four letter name A*** and probably elsewhere such as your usual eBay searches, one can buy a Drain Snake. Long and flexible with a lovely little brush on the end. Workd ok on hand wash basins.

That might help with those scuttle drains you mentioned ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nice idea but probably too large for the (relatively) small scuttle drains that tend to be about 20mm OD, ~15mm ID and therefore much smaller than domestic drains for sinks, basins etc.

Dave, possibly a little good news for you now.

My olde Rabone Chesterman finds the bristle brush head to be 13mm diametrically. 28mm long. e&oe
The supporting wire is coiled. I don't want to measure it. ABOUT 900mm long.

The particular item is from evriholder of California

https://www.evriholder.com/product-page/drain-snake

but made in China

ASDA purvey these for £3 each. Hung on one of those vertical displays they put along the sides of aisles.

This might help you.

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:31.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 14:15   #513
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Dave, possibly a little good news for you now.

My olde Rabone Chesterman finds the bristle brush head to be 13mm diametrically. 28mm long. e&oe
The supporting wire is coiled. I don't want to measure it. ABOUT 900mm long.

The particular item is from evriholder of California

https://www.evriholder.com/product-page/drain-snake

but made in China

ASDA purvey these for £3 each. Hung on one of those vertical displays they put along the sides of aisles.

This might help you.

Stephen

I hope that information might help Dave.

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 09:56   #514
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That got me thinking so i investigated the HBoF while in the "library" earlier. Bear in mind this is for my 760 and i don't know if the ATE calipers were changed for that from the 240 but apprently the piston in the caliper has to be set using a fairly simple 20deg angle gauge tool at a certain rotary position.

Putting 2 and 2 togehter and perhaps coming up with 5 (as i've never had a rear caliper problem on a Volvo so have never investigated further) would i be right in thinking the pin you refer to only allows the piston to retract when in that 20deg position - rather like a keyway on a shaft and pulley?
The pin I was referring to is the one that holds the pads in place; the pistons on the ATE are stepped and incline 20deg off horizontal in the caliper. A mis-understanding/mis-reading not helped by my conflating two separate issues in my original post.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:43   #515
Chris152

Well, we've been putting off the brake pads in favour of driving - the lad can get out on the road again now, all seems to be going well. Earlier this week we made the decision to get on with the brakes in the next couple of days. All good.

Then, the day before yesterday, his mum took him out in it, buy some petrol first (we avoided the red area on the gauge as the fuel pump starts whining then) and head to the beach. But they never left the petrol station - full tank, the car wouldn't start. Fortunately a friend in his land rover was at the same garage at the time and towed it home.

We sprayed a bit of that easy-start stuff in before towing, the ignition worked as long as that was in the air intake, but it seems clear no fuel is getting to the engine.

Ok, so it seems clear to me the fuel pump's given up, quick read of Haynes and we'll order up the parts. Strewth, it's complex! Not so much fitting the new pumps, but testing to see which is faulty. We swapped the fuse in case it was something so simple (No 4 fuse, contrary to what Haynes says); switched on the ignition as I listened at the tank - nothing at all.

I'm surprised it went from a whine at low fuel but none the less driving absolutely fine, to completely refusing to start, like that. But does it sound like I'm correct in thinking this is most likely a pump issue? And if so, are there any other really simple fails that could account for the sudden complete failure to function?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 10:43   #516
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Check the fuel pump relay hasn't come lose Chris, push it down into its socket and then retry.

Having a brain-fart this morning, remind me what engine and what MY this one is please?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 11:19   #517
Chris152

Bizarre as it must sound, but I can't fidn the relay! I know what it should look like, I've taken the cover off both sides under the dash, and can't see one, just wires and regular connectors.
It's a 230E, and I don't know what the MY is - is it the type of injection? I don't know that either, I'm afraid.
Slightly embarrassed at how little I know... :-)

eta - if it's any help, it's a 1990 glt.

ps as for brain farts, I seem to be caught in the midst of a cluster one at the moment - Couple of days ago, my lathe motor developed a fault and will need repairing soon; same day, I took out my Karcher washer to rinse stuff off my van, started a split second and then died; then I got the call from the garage about the car. Not sure what to attend to first. Hopefully, having reached three complete fails in a couple of days, that'll be if for failed motors for a while.

Last edited by Chris152; Apr 29th, 2021 at 11:37.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 11:55   #518
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Bizarre as it must sound, but I can't fidn the relay! I know what it should look like, I've taken the cover off both sides under the dash, and can't see one, just wires and regular connectors.
It's a 230E, and I don't know what the MY is - is it the type of injection? I don't know that either, I'm afraid.
Slightly embarrassed at how little I know... :-)

eta - if it's any help, it's a 1990 glt.
It seems Volvo decided to hid the fuel pump relay (sometimes also referred to as "Main Relay" under the glovebox in yours Chris :

http://volvoadventures.com/howtodofuelpumprelay.html

Quite a bit of info on there including location and diagnostics. As for MY, it's Model Year which isn't always the same as the registration year. I'm taking a guess here that with the 940 already on the horizon by the time yours was made, not much would have changed from the 1988 model featured in the link above so there's a good chance all of it will be relevant and the MY less so.

There's loads to learn about these beasts, we're all still learning and to be fair, you're still in the first stages of your learning curve so don't feel bad or embarrassed, we all had to start somewhere! Who would have said a year or so back you'd narrow down the FTP (Failure To Proceed) to fuel by using some Easy Start to prove it was only fuel stopping the engine from starting? That alone shows you've already come a long way!

Out of interest, have you tried starting the car since it was repatriated to your drive? If not, give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 12:29   #519
Chris152

Unhappy

Thank you, Dave - no question we're learning lots, largely down to the help we've had on here.
But - our car appears to have no Fuel pump relay!
This is a pic looking up to under and behind the glove compartment, from the floor on the passenger side. Is it possible each 240 Volvo made was put together according to a unique design?!
I'll keep hunting...

ps - I tried when we got the car home, and tried to start it just now, turns over but not even trying to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0232.jpg (269.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Chris152; Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:33.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 13:09   #520
Chris152

Found it, I think! It's right up behind the glove box, just a few inches beneath the dash, a green box. I tried to press it together as best as I could, very hard to tell as it's so far out of the way and I have to lay on my back looking up from the bottom of the footwell - I can't figure how to get the thing off its harness, and don't want to break it trying.
Anyway, it still won't start! Is the next thing to check if power is reaching the pumps? Multimeter arriving later today.

Pic in case it helps anyone else looking for the same - that's looking directly up from the floor pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0234.jpg (224.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Chris152; Apr 29th, 2021 at 13:19.