Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another rookie question...

Views : 441

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 18:37   #1
1star

Default Another rookie question...

Is the rear screen wash from the same res as the from screen or a separate tank?

Mine isn’t working.
1star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 18:43   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

Same tank but different pump.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 18:54   #3
1star

Ah ok, cheers...possibly pump gone then?
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 20:01   #4
J liddy

Is it possible to test by switching pumps then see what happens as it coud be something else is there any sound from both. Pumps my rear washer got blocked i used a low pressure airline to clear it
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 08:29   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Check the driver's footwell for moisture. The pipe often splits as it enters the passenger compartment but you'll need a head-torch to see the pipewrok and to move the driver's seat all the way back. Many moons ago I did a post on repairing this with some thin brass tube.

If the well is dry then check the non-return valve which, IIRC, lives in the D-pillar.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 11:00   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

First thing to do is ascertain whether the pump is working before you go ferreting around for other causes.
So access the washer reservoir and pumps. On my 940 it’s behind the FNS headlamp under the air cleaner. As previously stated there are two pumps. It may be obvious from examining the pipework from the pumps which one is front and which one is rear.
Unplug the wiring from one of the pumps and use a couple of wires from the battery to apply power to ascertain if the pump is actually working. If one isn’t working then you have found the cause.
If they are both working then reconnect the wiring and check that the pump runs when the switch on the stalk is operated. If not then that is the cause.
If the pump is working then check that the jets at the rear are clear. I cannot remember how to remove them but I think that the pipe to them can be accessed by removing the roof rear trim panel. If so then try removing the pipe and operating the switch to check whether fluid is pumping through.
Then it is time to start checking for leaking/blocked pipework between the pump and the rear end. It is obviously a long pipe run and trim will need to be removed to access it.
Hope this helps.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 29th, 2021 at 11:26. Reason: Add text
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 12:20   #7
tofufi
Premier Member

On my car, the rear nozzle has a much greater tendency to block than the front. Normally removing the nozzle at the rear of the car and blowing the nozzle through (and running the rear washers without the nozzle for a few goes) solves it

tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 19:35   #8
1star

Hey thanks everyone...I’ll get on it at the weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1star For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 11:51   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

Lack of use tends to build up some growth of something in there (usually a white goop). Also there tends to be black mould grow in the tank and filters.

There is a 1 way valve near the rear light cluster, this failed in mine (maybe blocked). Its a good place to check if you have flow.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 14:32   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

I once had a problem with a blocked inline filter on the front washers. Impossible to clear so invested in a new one and changed my washer additive. I do not know whether there is a filter in the rear system.
I had been using a certain washer additive for years when I could see the washer bottle and simply dumped the required amount of additive in then filled up with water. When I acquired my Volvo, because I couldn’t see the washer bottle I made up the required strength in a 5 litre bottle then added that to the washer bottle and stored the remainder in the garage. I later found that the unused mix whilst stored in the garage was forming a gelatinous scum and upon inspection found that the fluid in the car’s washer bottle was doing the same. That is what had caused the blocked filter. I gave the system a good clean out whilst replacing the filter and changed my additive to Halfords own brand as an experiment. Several years later, still no problems.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote