Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The sound of water sloshing in the bulkhead

Views : 3477

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:14   #1
ElMagnifico

Default The sound of water sloshing in the bulkhead

Hello everyone.

Re V70
I wonder can you advise me?

Over the past week or so, whenever I've turned left or right I've heard the sound of water moving across the bulkhead (when turning left it moves from left to right and vice versa).

There are no wanrinig lights displayed and no sign of leaking anywhere that I can see.

Has any one come across this? If so, what do I do.

Grateful for any advice or guidance.

E.M.
ElMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:16   #2
mattn388gfc
mattn388gfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMagnifico View Post
Hello everyone.

Re V70
I wonder can you advise me?

Over the past week or so, whenever I've turned left or right I've heard the sound of water moving across the bulkhead (when turning left it moves from left to right and vice versa).

There are no wanrinig lights displayed and no sign of leaking anywhere that I can see.

Has any one come across this? If so, what do I do.

Grateful for any advice or guidance.

E.M.
how old is it
mattn388gfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:27   #3
jeff.warner
VOC Member

Hi.
Is it from where the wipers live? because either end of that tray are'nt there drain holes, they may be blocked causing rainwater to build up and consequently slosh about, maybe I'm wrong!

96 850 GLT 2.5ltr.20V Estate Auto.
94 960 3ltr. C.D. Estate Auto.
740 GLE Estate Man.
740 GL Estate Man.
240 GLE Estate Man.
jeff.warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:12   #4
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Like Jeff W said there are drain holes in the wiper scuttle probably full of leaves or pine needles & other crap. If you look in the corners down behind the inner wheel arches you will see 2 rubber hoses attached to metal tubes (not the ones attached to the plastic scuttle cover) these are the ones that are probably blocked to do the job properly you will need to remove the plastic scuttle cover & clean out all the debris oh & while your in there check out your pollen filter on the passenger side of the scuttle under a black plastic cover

HTH
Jim

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:07   #5
The Hitcher
Born Again Old Timer

Sure it will be the the drain pipes, i recently had to replace the wiper motor on my Clio due to these blocking up, which was bloody annoying i can tell you! I think on the volvo' you get a warning like you have had or a wet floor before the real damage occurs
French cars!

What happens if climate change is a big hoax and we end up making a better world for nothing?
The Hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:19   #6
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Only other escape route for the water is down the air intakes ... so the car might get a bit humid!

Anyone know if there are drains from the bottom of those air intakes behind the bonnet?
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 13:27   #7
julienhoulton

Smile plenums

IJulien (VLV70)

Last edited by julienhoulton; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 14:29.
julienhoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 17:50   #8
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I had this on my new S80 last year - required a drain hole to be created, but also ended up need to refit windscreen as clearly water was both getting in (exactly where I don't know) and not getting out easily. Volvo have a bulletin on the subject so your dealer knows what to do ..
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 18:20   #9
john d
VOC Member

If you should find that the rainwater drains aren't the cause of the problem, you might want to check the drain from the bottom of the heater/air con unit.

I have had symptoms similar to yours on my 1998 V70 - sloshing water when going round bends. I found it was due to a build-up of water in the bottom of the heater/air con unit, either due to the ingress of rain water, or more probably because of a build up of condensate from the cooling coil. As far as I can tell, the problem occurred because the drain connection was blocked, or was air locked.

From memory, to get to the drain, you need to remove the plastic trim panel from the side of the passenger foot-well, then lift the carpet and foam backing out of the way. You will find a cranked rubber drain pipe running from the bottom of the heater to a connection discharging through the bottom of the car. Pull the discharge connection off and by sealing a length of tubing (wide bore electrical earth sleeve and insulating tape should do it) to the rubber drain, suck/siphon the collected water out.

Good luck.

John
john d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 21:07   #10
ElMagnifico

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll have a look when it's light in the morning.

mattn388gfc; it's 2001.

Fingers crossed.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

E.M.

Last edited by ElMagnifico; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 21:11.
ElMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote