Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Suspension Refresh

Views : 484

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 12:11   #1
Benjybh

Default 850 T5 Suspension Refresh

Hiya all,

Back in November I bought a a 1996 850 T5 CD Auto, in great condition with an excellent service history. It's been good fun for the past 5000 miles or so but I'm beginning to get frustrated with how much it lollops and rolls around corners, whilst still being viciously firm over potholes.

I've had the geometry checked and set, with minimal improvement, and it has good, new-ish tyres on its 17" Volans (205/45). I believe it has the optional lowering kit specced, which I'm sure doesn't help, but at the same time I have very little confidence with it when making swift progress along some Welsh A-roads. There is also a laughable amount of play in the steering - I can probably get a good 10 degrees each way with no effect on the front wheels.

Any ideas where to start with making it handle a bit better?!

I'd rather not plough huge amounts of money into it either - the car's not worth that much, as we all know...!

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Benjybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 13:19   #2
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Have you looked at replacing the shock absorbers? i replaced all four on mine, £30 each for the rear and £55 each for the front, plus all coil springs, had tracking done (£30) two rear coil springs (£30 each) and that solved any issues i had with the car swaying.

Also you say the car isn't worth much, but it makes sense to spend a few hundred quid on fixing suspension issues, as whats the alternative? sell your volvo cheaply, buy another used car and then realise you have problems to fix on that?

I would have a look at the shocks first, you will be able to see any leaking and you can try the shock test by bouncing each corner of the car to see how it responds.

Also, i know its simple but often overlooked, but tyre pressure, as if they are uneven then that causes issues.

Last edited by blackrevolver; Apr 29th, 2013 at 13:22.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote