Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 tensioner

Views : 884

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 12:47   #1
tinytim
V70 LPT SE

Default V70 tensioner

Hi Guys,
wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.

i was given a V70 (phase 1) estate 2.5 lpt as my honda concerto wasnt large enough for my ham radio gear. I was coming out of a roundabout when the engine just died. no bangs or clatter, just died, swiftly put car into N (auto) and gently cruised into the headgerow to get it out of the way. Took some photos of the (whats left of) tensioner, i will be checking the valve operation after taking off the cam cover.

Does anyone know if tensioner failure on the V70 is a deathly omen?

The belt, incidently, was still attached around the camshafts and crank and was turning WITH the starter after we prised the belt cover out of the way by the roadside.

Photos are on my FB album page and can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=15fc9e26fb

Hopefully all is not lost.

regards
Tim
tinytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 13:11   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yes you need to check the valve operation (or do a compression check - more accurate) but I'm sorry to say that this is very much an interferance engine, and you'll be VERY lucky to get away with no damage IMHO.

Can't see the photos I'm afraid, you have to have a farcebook account to view them, so can't comment more.

Just shows that it's important to replace the tensioner when doing a belt change, not just the belt itself. And the idler too IMHO.

All the best.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 00:05   #3
dinky1
Volvo lump in a renault!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
Does anyone know if tensioner failure on the V70 is a deathly omen?

The belt, incidently, was still attached around the camshafts and crank and was turning WITH the starter after we prised the belt cover out of the way by the roadside.

Photos are on my FB album page and can be seen here:
Two very important things here..

1) Which belt and tensioner are you on about? - Cambelt or auxillary belt? It's not clear from what you're saying. You mention the cambelt still being on the pulleys so I can only assume you might mean the aux belt. If it snaps and gets tangled on the cambelt (it can jump in under the guard and get entangled) then the engine (if the same as the 850 petrol) is FUBAR valve wise. The cambelt might still be on but it can cause it to jump teeth and all sorts If its the cambelt and the tensioner temporarily gave way (or has failed but holds under manual engine turning) then your engine will also be fubar (again, if its the same as the 850 petrol).

2) If you want help, please post pics on a site like tinypic and then link to them here NOT ON FACEBOOK! Facebook isn't the centre of the universe for quite a few of us who don't have accounts and thus can't see your pics. If you want us to help you, you need to help us by giving us a fighting chance!
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 15:36   #4
tinytim
V70 LPT SE

Hi,
i have had to leave the v70 in storage until i get some funds sorted out. Divorce is quite costly isn it....

I will try to attach some photos to this rather ageing thread in just a moment. I have taken off the cam carrier and have managed to depress the buckets in turn to check for valve stem bending, all of the buckets move freely fully down to fully up so i am thinking about replacing the cambelt and tensioner just to see if i will get lucky. My father has had a tensioner go on him a few years back (volvo v70) and he was quite lucky, a quick check on the timing and a new belt / tensioner saw the car fire up shortly afterwards. He is always replacing the cambelt and tensioner together every 2 years regardless of miles driven. I also have a few other issues such as ETM rough idle and the amazing inability to get anything to read the obd data. I will start separate threads on those issues later. Back to the photos!

http://wykeradio.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=803
tinytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 09:41   #5
Rob.D
Captain Mainbearing

Unhappy All The Fun Of The Fair!

Hi Tinytim,
WOW! I'm damn glad I replaced mine when I did. Did you not notice an awful racket coming from the front end beforehand? Mine made an "orrible" noise when I started-up in really cold weather.

From the sound of things money's really tight, but it would be a good idea to replace the idler gear bearing whilst you're changing the tensioner, as these are the two "most common" items that fail on the front end of the engine. But that said, I had to replace the crankshaft pulley on mine, as the rubber vibration damper was cracked! Good Luck!
Rob.
'89 740 Estate, '82 240 Estate.
Rob.D is offline   Reply With Quote