Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

newbie Q - flog it or keep it

Views : 1065

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 21:32   #1
alancole

bought a '65 222s a year ago for £800, cosmetically OK (few bubbles) not broken down since battery replaced. I don't do high miles and something reliable with load carrying ability is good (leave 912 for mid-life crisis)

Went fine but at MOT failed on various mech stuff (had already done a few bits with a mate) - £500ish and welding (front outriggers) £500ish

Garage (with good rep and priced accordingly) advises £1500 welding needed in 1-2 years (floorpan by trailing arm mounts)

I have not a clue about cars old or new. I love it but don't want to be pouring cash into it. Seems my options are:

1. sell it without MOT £? }and buy something
2. sell it with MOT £? }cheaper to run without character
3. keep it for the long haul, get the enjoyment and accept the costs.

errr that's it. Have I judged this right? Any helpful comments/ideas/opinions gratefully received
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 22:25   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

I don't know where you are, but if you are anywhere near west London, take it to Noddy at Deanocraft, for an expert appraisal from someone who spends all his time working on classic Volvos.

167 Stamford Brook arches
London
W6 OTQ

work number: 020 8748 8099
mobile number: 07725043234

email: zen7102@zen.co.uk
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 22:49   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

To replace both front outriggers and repair floorpan and inner sill in this area. The repair in my experience (and I have done a few) should take about 4 hrs for the pair + about £50 for the repair panels) The only additional time would be for removing seats and matting and refitting. Even allowing for this it would be difficult to spend 8hrs on it unless you have a bottomless teapot!

The other welding you describe should in all probability be about a days work depending on what is needed - I would not expect more than 2 days. I suppose it all depends on where you live and what hourly rates are like - in our area you are likely to pay £30-35 per hour other areas it can be higher. Sometimes it can be possible to find an independent welder for less. You need to be sure that all the rotten metal is cut away and not patched over.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 22:54   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Or you could have bought yourself an arc welder for £35 and done the welding yourself..
Making sure not to turn the car into a pool of liquid metal while doing so..!

I would have thought that anyone serious enough to want to restore/maintain and old beauty such as these would have ready access to welding equipment of some sort??

Try to do the restore as there are a finite number of these around..
Or pass/sell to someone who is able/willing to undertake the work..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 22:54   #5
alancole

ta. I'm in Edinburgh. Welding seems to be £30 hourly - 2 days for outriggers (IIRC)
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 22:58   #6
alancole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
I would have thought that anyone serious enough to want to restore/maintain and old beauty such as these would have ready access to welding equipment of some sort?
As I said, I have not a clue about cars old or new.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 00:31   #7
austingipsy

Alan,
theres a garage in dundee i've used before that does very cheap but excellent welding. Its just one guy that welds up everything from morris fg vans to jags and modern stuff as well.
He sometimes takes a while because i think he always takes on too much work but i guess thats the trade of for a good price.
You can still drive the car to get repaired after failing the mot so if its mechanicaly ok its probably possible.

If you don't mind waiting a few days i can find out if hes free. i can't do anything just yet as i'm in the middle of projecting an animation film festival at work and its hellishly time consuming. I'm of on monday and tuesday though so i could check.

Was it just welding, did you mention there was work needed on the oily bits as well?
ian.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 19:59   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Or you could have bought yourself an arc welder for £35 and done the welding yourself..

Des. . .
Just a quick point - I know volvo metal is thick but even so a arc welder will just blow holes through it.

For anyone interested in welding cars a mig is the tool for the job on diy level. A tig welder is the best but is more expensive and takes a bit more to pick up correctly.

I think you are being quoted way over the top for the work needed. There are a few plces such as ourslefs who will do a good job and take take an arm and leg off you for doing it.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 00:23   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Just a quick point - I know volvo metal is thick but even so a arc welder will just blow holes through it.
As I said, puddles of molton metal!!!

Welding is an art best practiced on something that is not your car...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:01   #10
julie

hi im a welder and have worked in the motor trade this price is well over the top. i would sugest talking to others in your area there is normaly someone who welds cars for local garages/owners at a much lower rate.
julie is offline   Reply With Quote