Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights, blinkers, stop lights quit working

Views : 975

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 13:06   #1
mirizlivpor

Unhappy Headlights, blinkers, stop lights quit working

Hi guys,

Last night while driving all of a sudden the headlights, blinkers and stop lights quit working on my '06 V70. Hi-beam works, rear lights work and the third stop light (at the top) works. The third stop light though remain lit even after the car is switched off and locked. It remains lit for 1-2 minutes and goes off. The error message says to check the stop lights. All bulbs and fuses are OK. About the blinkers - when I press the lever up or down there is nothing on the dash and the blinkers don't blink; when I press the harard lights button, the button itself and the blinkers don't blink, but the lights on the dash are on and the clicking sound is present. I read in some threads about a shunt in the CEM that could burn, but no one reported so many faults like in my case. Do you guys have any clues? I couldn't get a good look at the CEM, just was barely able to pull the fuses out and check them. I wasn't sure how to detach it and also around the whole assembly under the steering wheel there is a cable tie?! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
mirizlivpor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 14:12   #2
gillypop

Might be water ingress problem which can show all sort of wierd problems.

I posted the following some time ago which may help:-

Do you have telltales and messages still on (mine would not start - messages immobilizer, brake failure, anti skid, power system all urgent service). If yes you may need the PPC diagnostics tool.

Remove wiper arms (mark their position)- might need to wiggle quite a bit to get off or use a puller.

Disconnect battery

Remove the small pieces of trim either side of the windscreen. Each side is held in by 2 push in clips.

Remove the 4 plastic rivets that hold the plastic panel down that goes across the car in front of the windscreen. These can either be pushed down or pushed up (then pulled out). They are quite a tight fit and will probably drop somewhere difficult. I used cable ties when refitting until I could get replacements.

You might have to remove the wiper linkage (not sure) but its 1 nut and disconnect connector.

You will see a box on the drivers side which has a cover on it. unclip and remove. . This will have a gasket on it and this is the point where water got into on my car (but could also come in from the harness on the right). You should see 2 screws when looking down on the CEM remove these. disconnect all the connectors - the 2 on top - from outside of the car. To disconnect the interior connectors of the CEM remove the trim under the steering wheel. Put the seat as fully back as possible and then using a torch you should be able to see the connectors to the CEM (4 or 5 i think look at my piccies). When the connectors have been removed the CEM can be removed. The CEM is held in a bracket and can be rotated downwards and out .. can be fiddly but don't force it.

The reason I fixed this myself was that I considered I had nothing to lose. The worst outcome for me would have been to get the vehicle towed to Volvo and a big bill for a replacement CEM (which I was facing anyway). To fix this problem cost me £20.

I used standard PCB lacquer used for environmental protection. Can be obtained via the web.

The other mod I did was to use some sealant in addition to the gasket on the lid of the CEM cover.

THE OTHER RISK IS THAT IF A NEW CEM IS REQUIRED OR YOU MANAGE TO DAMAGE IT FURTHER I AM NOT SURE HOW THEY CAN RETRIEVE VEHICLE DATA FROM THE CEM.

Also there may be a cable tie under the dash that might need cutting by tbh was along time ago.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)

Last edited by gillypop; Aug 15th, 2013 at 14:18. Reason: addition
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 14:35   #3
mirizlivpor

Thanks for the hint. I'll check for any moisture, but I doubt that's the cause - it hasn't rained in a few weeks and the temp goes as high as 36C.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:01   #4
mirizlivpor

There is no moisture around the CEM, but something else had happened. I only started the car last morning for about 30 seconds and then it sat the whole day. In the evening there was some red fluid on the driver's floor mat. After checking my fluids I topped the power steering fluid with about the same amount as there was on the floor.

I tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, but to no avail.

Tags
blinkers, headlights, quit, tail lights, working