Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S60 "Clicking" Noises while Accelerating

Views : 5914

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 19:51   #1
kmacdaddy

Exclamation Volvo S60 "Clicking" Noises while Accelerating

Hello, I am new to the forums and apologize if this question seems obvious or has been answered already. I have done some searches to find a solution and have found many varying answers, so I wanted to post a thread specific to my situation to see if anyone can help. My car is a 2003 Volvo S60 2.5 with turbo.

Over the last few weeks, there has been a "clicking" noise that seems to be coming from the front of the car when I accelerate close to or past 2,000 RPM's.

The clicking noise stops when I let my foot off the accelerator and coast. The problem also does not happen (very much if at all) when going downhill. Also, the clicking does not happen if I put my car in park and rev the engine, same goes for when in neutral.

Essentially, it only happens when accelerating on flat ground/ Uphill and when I reach around 2,000 RPM's. The sound is substantially louder and more noticeable when the car is cold. It goes away as the car heats up, but not completely, it just becomes much quieter and less noticeable.

Any ideas what this may be? I have a road trip coming up and want to diagnose and fix before the trip. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by kmacdaddy; Apr 4th, 2014 at 20:09.
kmacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 20:20   #2
kmacdaddy

Default Here are some videos of the problems

Here are some videos I have recorded for the issue at hand.

This video is me in park reving the enging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwgf...ature=youtu.be

This video is of me driving. You may need headphones to hear the clicking, you can hear the clicking from 0:08 - 0:12 of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5Y...ature=youtu.be

Any help is much appreciated
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 23:15   #3
oragex
Premier Member

the noise is not apparent on the posted video. does it sound like a mechanical noise, or like an acoustic noise?

if the later, it might be that the engine is pinging, which is caused by an ignition issue.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 00:01   #4
kmacdaddy

Default Mechanical

I would say mechanical sounding, though I'm not sure what you mean by acoustic. The clicking is faster as the car speeds up.

I haven't been able to record a better clip of the sound, you can briefly hear it at 8 seconds if you blast your speakers but it's tough to notice.

Research I've done sounds like CV joint maybe?
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 03:09   #5
oragex
Premier Member

If it's the cv joint, the easy check is to slowly drive the car in a parking lot, steering wheel fully at right and at left, will hear a clicking noise. Otherwise it's maybe a pre-ignition pinging caused by high temperature inside the cylinders.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 17:50   #6
marathon22

Default I hear the clicking noise on my car

Are you still having issues with the clicking noise on acceleration of your volvo s60. I have an s60 front wheel drive E Engine that's 1 year old. I hear the random clicking when accelerating up hills, making turns and at higher accelerating speeds.

The dealership has heard the noise but can't fix it, it's very annoying. have you had it diagnosed yet?
marathon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 22:03   #7
Neil_

I've got a faint bell ringing in my head about clicking noises from s60 driveshaft solved by replacing with xc90 driveshaft bolts - can't remember the exact symptoms/causes but probably worth a search in these forums.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...aft+xc90+bolts

Scroll down to post by DownUnder - is this similar to yours?

Last edited by Neil_; Sep 4th, 2015 at 22:06. Reason: Did a quick search - I'm probably barking up the wrong tree
Neil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 22:14   #8
charles p

The clicking drive shaft noise happens when accelerate or lift off. It's a single "click" and not road speed or engine speed related.
When I suffered this on a 53 plate D5 I followed the chosen path of replacing the drive shaft bolts and correctly torquing in new ones. Halfway across France on the way to Barcelona the bloody click returned so I just put a socket on the bolts and did them up "really tight" (ie way over the specified torque). They never made a click noise ever again.

Charles
charles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 22:21   #9
Neil_

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
The clicking drive shaft noise happens when accelerate or lift off. It's a single "click" and not road speed or engine speed related.
When I suffered this on a 53 plate D5 I followed the chosen path of replacing the drive shaft bolts and correctly torquing in new ones. Halfway across France on the way to Barcelona the bloody click returned so I just put a socket on the bolts and did them up "really tight" (ie way over the specified torque). They never made a click noise ever again.

Charles
Brilliant!
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 20:46   #10
tony209
Master Member

Just check that the bearings aren't worn on one of the pulleys
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 s60, acceleration, clicking noise, engine 2.5 t5, volvo s60