Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHEV Increased range

Views : 19189

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 14:17   #91
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop north View Post
Hello - I joined this forum years ago but once I test drove the XC90 in early to mid-2015 on launch I found the tyre noise unacceptable so I went elsewhere

Now come back having seen this thread on the longer range which make the XC90P8 (or whatever it is called today) possible. I am trying to find out what the effect of the PHEV is on boot space as have seen two different stats for that - 640 litres and 770 (the latter being what diesel / petrol versions have, I think). The original claim was that PHEV did not affect boot space because the battery was in the transmission tunnel (if I remember correctly). Which makes it hard to see why the space would be different. Can anyone with a PHEV enlighten me, please?

Will be having a test drive in a couple of weeks but thought worth asking here as google seems not to be my friend in this respect!
You are correct in saying the batteries do not affect the storage space on T8 PHEV's as these are stored in the centre of the cabin where you would conventionally find the transmission tunnel.
However, on T8's, its the ERAD (Electronic Rear Drive Axle) that does eat into some of the storage volume as per the figures you quote.This is due to the Electric motor, gearbox and associated drive units and clutches are bigger than a conventional rear axle/differential you would find on a standard AWD configuration.
This only means the boot floor cover sits slightly higher on the T8 and you loose storage space (and the ability to have a space saver spare) under the floor cover but rest assured, the XC90 boot is still a massive space.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 15:02   #92
segakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzibkit View Post
We ordered a V60 early/mid July and have now been told we'll be getting the new battery and motor. I thought that might interest those who have cars at various order stages.

I'm assuming the dealer is correct of course!
Have they given you an indication on build date/delivery yet? I thought the new ones were only coming in 2022 so would be interesting to know if they are already coming through.
segakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 16:02   #93
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop north View Post
Hello - I joined this forum years ago but once I test drove the XC90 in early to mid-2015 on launch I found the tyre noise unacceptable so I went elsewhere

Now come back having seen this thread on the longer range which make the XC90P8 (or whatever it is called today) possible. I am trying to find out what the effect of the PHEV is on boot space as have seen two different stats for that - 640 litres and 770 (the latter being what diesel / petrol versions have, I think). The original claim was that PHEV did not affect boot space because the battery was in the transmission tunnel (if I remember correctly). Which makes it hard to see why the space would be different. Can anyone with a PHEV enlighten me, please?

Will be having a test drive in a couple of weeks but thought worth asking here as google seems not to be my friend in this respect!
If you download the pricelist off the Volvo website it gives you the boot volume for both versions of the XC90 so you can see the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Automatic Only For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 19:16   #94
milzibkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by segakid View Post
Have they given you an indication on build date/delivery yet? I thought the new ones were only coming in 2022 so would be interesting to know if they are already coming through.
We only need the car for January and at the moment the dealer - whilst being non-committal and a bit vague - is still saying it should be January.
milzibkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 19:23   #95
milzibkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
If you download the pricelist off the Volvo website it gives you the boot volume for both versions of the XC90 so you can see the difference.
The V60 PHEVs appear to have the same size boot as the non-PHEV variants. I hope they do anyway!
milzibkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 22:01   #96
Oop north

Thanks - I do have a downloaded price list so will take a look. I think the near vertical tailgate should mean that stacking high works well. So many EVs lose out on this by having very raked rear screens
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 22:02   #97
Oop north

Sk546 - thanks. I hadn’t thought about the motor. That does seem to be an issue with quite a few EVs having high floors in the boot - Hyundai ioniq5, Kia ev6, bmw iX
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 20:37   #98
Howie1880

Just as a bit of info for everyone the new longer range batteries will come with reduced power on the petrol side.
For example the existing T6 is 253hp petrol and 87hp electric totalling 340.
The new version will have 143hp Electric but the petrol will be derated to 202hp totalling 345hp.
This has been done to reduce emissions according to my dealer.
So whilst you are getting a more powerful electric engine and better range you are also losing 50ish hp from the petrol side

Cheers
Howie1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 21:15   #99
segakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1880 View Post
Just as a bit of info for everyone the new longer range batteries will come with reduced power on the petrol side.
For example the existing T6 is 253hp petrol and 87hp electric totalling 340.
The new version will have 143hp Electric but the petrol will be derated to 202hp totalling 345hp.
This has been done to reduce emissions according to my dealer.
So whilst you are getting a more powerful electric engine and better range you are also losing 50ish hp from the petrol side

Cheers
Thanks for the info that’s useful to know. Presumably it is electronically derated rather than physically and therefore could be remapped to increase that power. Albeit you probably wouldn’t want to have to talk to your insurance company about anything like that.
segakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 21:26   #100
Howie1880

Yeh the dealer I spoke to seemed to think it was just an ECU remap rather then changing any physical parts so assuming it’s possible to remap the current Volvo ECUs then could be able to get the missing horses back!
Howie1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie1880 For This Useful Post: