Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B&W Sound System in Ultimate model - very poor

Views : 2907

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2024, 16:29   #1
Marmaduke

Question B&W Sound System in Ultimate model - very poor

I'm now three weeks into my new 2024 XC90 Ultimate.

I'm still learning lots about how to operate it, with lots of delving into the 'manual' in the app... Oh, for a paper version! "Just use search" I hear you say. Well, I don't want to search for something specific, just wander through it randomly in front of the TV, stopping off where something catches my eye... I used to learn a lot from manuals that way, in the old days before companies scrapped paper manuals, claiming they were saving the planet.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the 'top of the range' sound system settings right. I just can't get a proper stereo picture and balance between L and R sound where I'm sitting in the driving position. My 2016 Landrover Discovery had a far better system than this B&W one. In the Discovery, I could move the whole sound stage to the left or right, so that the sound coming out of the L and R door speakers were biased to the right, i.e. giving a perfect L and R sound balance to the driver. The B&W system has no such control. I can highlight 'driver' in one of the settings and that just makes the right speaker louder and the left speaker hardly discernable at all, even if I lean right over to the left past the middle console (not whilst driving, of course...)

I think I've exhausted every permutation of sound setting, but just thought I'd post here in case someone had stumbled across anything that might help.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 19:44   #2
JonathanD
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
...delving into the 'manual' in the app... Oh, for a paper version! "Just use search" I hear you say. Well, I don't want to search for something specific, just wander through it randomly in front of the TV, stopping off where something catches my eye... I used to learn a lot from manuals that way, in the old days before companies scrapped paper manuals, claiming they were saving the planet.
I know exactly where you are coming from!

When I bought my then new V90 five years ago, having heard or read that Volvo Cars no longer included a physical, hard copy manual with new cars I told the salesman I wanted one. It was added to my order at a cost of twenty quid or so if I recall correctly. I know that was then and this is now, but I would be surprised if it is no longer possible to get one. I know you can download it from the Volvo Cars website, but we are talking about a tome running to literally hundreds of pages making DIY printing impractical. Besides, a properly bound and produced version is infinitely preferable...in my humble opinion at least. So it would definitely be worth your while speaking to a dealer.

On your B&W question I can offer no assistance as my V90 makes do with the far more humble, standard stereo equipment.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 21:18   #3
OldEngineer

See this...

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/2...3#post-8085156
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 21:40   #4
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Volvo in their wisdom decided to remove fundamental audio controls when moving from Sensus to AAOS. They kept these removals secret by not publishing any changes in their AAOS based sales materials and specifications. They decided to remove Balance and Fader controls.

I also believe that the real reason for going away from a paper based or PDF owners/user manual is not entirely based on their virtue signalling green agenda, but is rather more cunning and deceitful.

Without a physical copy of a manual, Volvo can easily alter their online manuals text with a few simple keystrokes. I have seen this for myself regards a paragraph of text that was in the 2022 (21w46) XC60 online manual regards the 12v battery, having now mysteriously disappeared. Volvo is now able to change historical information for its own purposes.

“If it’s not in writing, then we can’t be held liable”. "Whatever actions we may wish to take we have carte blanche to do so".
The Following User Says Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 09:17   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
I could move the whole sound stage to the left or right, so that the sound coming out of the L and R door speakers were biased to the right, i.e. giving a perfect L and R sound balance to the driver. The B&W system has no such control.
This is how I have my current car set up and with the fader biased towards the front speakers.

The car I have on order has B&W and I was led to believe it would still have balance and fader controls even though they've been removed from the standard audio system. Clearly this was wrong.

My new car was ordered in Sep 2023 with delivery now expected end June. As I read more about features missing and things not working in AAOS I start to wonder whether I should proceed with the order. I'm going to test drive a Lexus after Easter because if my (and others I know) previous experience with that brand is anything to go by, everything just works (and keeps working).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 11:23   #6
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The car I have on order has B&W and I was led to believe it would still have balance and fader controls even though they've been removed from the standard audio system. Clearly this was wrong.
I believe you should be OK with the B&W level system, as it still retains the Balance and Fader controls, when I last checked.

It was the High-Performance Sound system and the HK system that both had the Balance and Fader controls removed under AAOS.

It may be prudent to go and check a just-delivered car at the dealer with B&W – just to be sure it's still there.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 13:26   #7
Milliner

Quote:
I believe you should be OK with the B&W level system, as it still retains the Balance and Fader controls, when I last checked.
I was waiting in the car when I saw this thread.

Under the 'sounds' setting, I can't see balance or fader options (they were there on my old Sensus car with standard stereo, but I never used it personally).

Only studio gets an option to focus on the driver or all and an option to change use to the middle speakers or the front ones only. A kind of fader/balance of sorts I guess, but not as adjustable as before.

That said, I think it's a superb speaker system. I use 'stage' and it gives a dolby atmos-like effect of surround sound on well produced tracks. Not even considered looking for a fader until I stumbled upon this thread.

For all AAOS' lack of features or ambition, I certainly wouldn't say the B&W sound system is a problem.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 13:31   #8
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post

It was the High-Performance Sound system and the HK system that both had the Balance and Fader controls removed under AAOS.

It may be prudent to go and check a just-delivered car at the dealer with B&W – just to be sure it's still there.
The Author of this post has clearly stated that his brand new 2024 XC90 with B&W system does not have the balance and faders, is that not clear enough?

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 16:36   #9
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
The Author of this post has clearly stated that his brand new 2024 XC90 with B&W system does not have the balance and faders, is that not clear enough?
Oh dear, the thread police are out in force… Please don’t take offence, as none was intended. It’s a sad woke world…
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 18:19   #10
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Oh dear, the thread police are out in force… Please don’t take offence, as none was intended. It’s a sad woke world…
If I knew what this woke thing was then maybe I would take offence but as I'm not really old (or really young) I have no idea what its all about.

I just want people to actually read the whole post before making replies that either contradict or don't actually answer the original questions.
Comments like 'when I last checked' aren't of much use to people as no-one knows when it was that you did 'last check' and it has obviously moved on since then.

And before you start claiming victimisation here, I'd say the same to anyone doing similar as I like to keep things inclusive.....

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post: