Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux input older volvo xc90

Views : 20972

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:21   #1
Bigice

Default Aux input older volvo xc90

Hi guys, I have finialy made an aux inoput for my 2005 xc90,

All I did was fit a relay into the FM reciever at the back of the car on the circuit board capacitors and when i plug in my mp3 it swtiches off the radio input and plays my mp3 player.... All audio contols work and sounds great. best of all it only cost a couple of quid....

I will try and post a diagram up later
Bigice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:34   #2
Funky Diver
FD

Cool, will be interested in seeing this
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 15:06   #3
Mike A

Would be very grateful if you could do write up with photo etc
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 20:44   #4
Bigice

will sort out some pics and a write up, it does involve removing your am/fm reciever from the roof of the xc, and two capacitors from the main board, but the effort will be woth it, I am at work all weekend so will try and sort out some pics next week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigice For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 16:28   #5
In Reverse

Great, looking forward to a bit of a write up or some pics.

My CD changer is broken so hopefully wont be listening to French radio this summer again.
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 10:09   #6
Bigice

ok, so I am not that good at explaining things but I will have a go, The pics I have done in paint so I hope they make sense.....

First thing to do is remove the FM reciver in the back of the roof, then remove the TMC and GPS ( If you have them ). Then remove the metal surround so you can get to the circuit board.....

First Pic.

Remove the caps and remember which way round they went....

Solder some flying leads to the tabs left behind on the circuit board.. and wire up a relay ( relay must be DPDT )with a switch as in the second diargam.

I have labbled the tab numbers for you to copy.

What this circuit does is cuts out the FM signal and replaces it with the mp3 signal, all of the orignal radio controls work and so does the sat nav and reversing sensors.

You can use a 3.5mm auto switching jack if you dont want an extra switch on the dash but have used a switch as I have my parrot plugged in all the time.

I take no responsiibillity if you brake you car......

The idea came from the BMW forums

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=587778

Hope this helps, I carnt take propper pics as the wife has the car at the min, Might get some time next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3b129du-480.jpg (71.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg fmmp3.jpg (55.4 KB, 31 views)
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 10:37   #7
timh30

What is energizing the relay to switch between fm and aux ?

Update - I see you talk about a separate switch/12v supply to energize (from your first post it sounded like it switched automatically as you plugged in the mp3 player?).

I've seen a link to a Russian site that used the AM channels - would this not better (assuming it is still using the Left and Right channels separately) as I guess most people don't use AM very often, so it could be hardwired in and you'd only need to switch the head-unit to AM to activate ?

Last edited by timh30; Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:59.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 10:56   #8
Bigice

I have fitted a switch on the dash that I have soldered from the 12v socket on the dash, the radio plays till i hit the switch and then the mp3 plays.

You can get an auto switching 3.5mm input jack, so the radio plays until you plug in the mp3 lead and then it switches over, this dosent need any power....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS...561858175.html
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:16   #9
timh30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigice View Post
I have fitted a switch on the dash that I have soldered from the 12v socket on the dash, the radio plays till i hit the switch and then the mp3 plays.

You can get an auto switching 3.5mm input jack, so the radio plays until you plug in the mp3 lead and then it switches over, this dosent need any power....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS...561858175.html
Thanks,

I guess using that switching socket (which is mechanically activated as you plug a jack in?), you need to wire the fm signal up to it as well and then wire back the output - so you get fm if nothing connected or the mp3 if the jack is plugged in. I'd worry that if you want the jack near the dash, you'll have the fm signal running another 12feet or so back and forth in the car, making it susceptible to interference.

Did you consider tapping into the AM channels (like the Russian link) - for me/my wife, we don't use AM at all, so that would be ideal for the aux in?
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:21   #10
Bigice

You are not switching the FM signal at the dash switch , all you are doing is applying 12v to the relay which is 2mm from the circuit board.

I tried the russian site info however he must have had a differnt reciver as when I plugged in my mp3 player you would get AM music and mp3 player together, so I came up with this idea instead. I guess when u have an mp3 player or parrot bluetooth that can play ipod, usb, line in, you will not use the cd player only radio and aux input?

Cheers pete