Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 D5 Pulsing turbo boost at high RPM

Views : 775

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2023, 20:16   #1
purplemk

Default 2002 D5 Pulsing turbo boost at high RPM

Hello everyone
I have been reading through the threads regards turbo issues but as yet haven’t found anything that quite matches the problem I'm having.
V70 D5 2002
Engine revs fine up to about 2500 RPM but at about 3000 the turbo vacuum actuator starts pulsing on and off / full movement constantly, the hoses to the intercooler can be seen to bulge and release every couple of seconds.
The engine revs don’t alter much but the boost pressure is on and off constantly
When driving underload / accelerating hard at that point it will drop into limp mode and restrict revs to 2500 RPM
I have checked for vacuum leaks / hoses / actuator / VNT movement all ok

my question is what controls the boost actuator / boost pressure?
As far as I can tell the "boost control solenoid" at the front of the engine is simply a open or closed valve, closed at idle open at revs, but what controls the amount of movement on the turbo actuator / boost pressure?
or has anyone had this symptom before?

I have a Icarsoft pro but for some reason I can't read the ECU fault codes just get "link error" although I can read the live data such as boost pressure / actuator % etc etc
Any ideas much appreciated
purplemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 20:05   #2
ca2n

Since you can monitor boost pressure, perhaps note what the max value is when it is cut off? It could be the computer protecting the engine from an overboost situation. From memory, maximum boost is around 31 psi.

The solenoid/valve near the air filter box regulates when vacuum is supplied to the engine pads. It regulates this with engine speed and is pulse-width modulated.

The other solenoid/valve near the starter motor is what controls the VNT operation, depending on several parameters including, but not limited to, engine coolant temperature, engine load, throttle position, engine speed, etc.

Last edited by ca2n; Oct 31st, 2023 at 20:19.
ca2n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ca2n For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 18:31   #3
purplemk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2n View Post
Since you can monitor boost pressure, perhaps note what the max value is when it is cut off? It could be the computer protecting the engine from an overboost situation. From memory, maximum boost is around 31 psi.

The solenoid/valve near the air filter box regulates when vacuum is supplied to the engine pads. It regulates this with engine speed and is pulse-width modulated.

The other solenoid/valve near the starter motor is what controls the VNT operation, depending on several parameters including, but not limited to, engine coolant temperature, engine load, throttle position, engine speed, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right about it cutting out to protect the engine, its difficult to be sure but it seemed to over boosting judging by the way the intercooler hoses expanded and contracted, I haven’t managed to record any actual figures when its pulsing but during normal driving i got 17 psi max.
unfortunately the instrument cluster is also failing intermittently so I wonder if that could possibly be upsetting the ECU?
purplemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 11:46   #4
ca2n

The intercooler hose that runs underneath the engine does expand with boost; I wouldn't find that unusual.

My guess is the 17 psi that you have read is the gauge pressure, which combined with atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) gives a total pressure of 31.7 psi, which is still within limit. Although the design maximum pressure is around that value, I am not sure how much overboost (3 psi, 5 psi, 10 psi?) is allowed until a code is triggered. It would still be interesting if you can get a max value of the boost when the code is triggered. I too have it on my D5 but have just got used to it; it's probably sticky vanes on my turbo which is not a priority for me at the moment to get sorted!

Failing of the instrument cluster (DIM) is not uncommon among the P2 models. There are services you can get to get them fixed.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 13:34   #5
Mike A

I assume you have checked vacuum on front and back engine mounts....I had same problem changed the tcv behind the starter mounted on engine block ....cured .
Note be careful around starter live contacts either disconnect battery or cover with rubber mat ..trust this is of some help
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote