Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying C30 with MOT advisories on suspension bushes

Views : 2426

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2016, 16:41   #1
Tomahawk
Volvo S40 (2005) owner

Default Buying C30 with MOT advisories on suspension bushes

Hi all, I was looking for some advice on buying a C30.
It is a 2009 Volvo C30 1.6 SE 3d

I had a look at its MOT records and it has had the same advisories for the last two years, but passed both times.

nearside front lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
offside front lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

It only did 2k miles in between those 2015 & 2016 MOTs so I am a little spooked by it.

My questions are, should I even bother haggling for this car?

If so, how much should I expect to pay to repair the bushes.

Thanks in advance
T
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 16:50   #2
Welton
Premier Member

These sound like the main (rearward) bushing of the lower wishbone and are a common failure point. They are a fluid-filled bushing and once worn will give a weird feel to the steering, judder or clonk under braking and exaggerate torque-steer not to mention affect tyre wear and suspension geometry.

There's lots of aftermarket replacement wishbones (you can't replace the standard bush alone unless you want poly bushes) and they all seem to be of similar quality, I've got some Firstline ones which have been on for 3 years or so.

Cost-wise you could budget around £300.00 ?? to replace the wishbones but be warned that the ARB droplinks will probably need replacing as these often have to be cut off due to seized threads etc during the process.

Once fitted you will need wheel alignment resetting so it's not an insignificant sort of job especially if you also find the inner tyre edges worn.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 17:17   #3
Tomahawk
Volvo S40 (2005) owner

Really appreciate your info. Thank you.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 17:59   #4
miksu

I suppose we are talking about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VRaLtuxf8k

Yes it does wear, I am surprised they even paid attention to it. Pretty much all cars have similar structure and similar failure and it really comes down to your own preference when you want to have it replaced (before it starts clonking and making noise that is).

It can be replaced separately if you really want (to save money).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ufB-1ttzM

IMO wheel re-alignment is not necessary, depends how you do it though. If you disassemble the entire suspension strut, steering tie rod and knuckle then yes but that is not necessary. So on a budget DIY it is a £20 job.

Last edited by miksu; Dec 14th, 2016 at 18:06.
miksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 23:56   #5
Bigchewie

I would use it as a bargaining chip age of car ( you haven't mentioned mileage) is an age in my experience with different marques that suspension components fail, i would even say use one of those online repair quote sites, to get a rough price or if you have a local trusted garage ask them and use that as a starting point as a minimum discount. you could actually see it as a good thing that you are getting a heads up on what could have been an unforseen repair at next MOT time or when a knock comes around, at least if you go for it you will know it may happen before you get it fixed
Bigchewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 02:41   #6
Tomahawk
Volvo S40 (2005) owner

Smile

Thanks for all the info. Still deciding on what car to buy ... 😬
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 19:19   #7
paddyred
Master Member

I did both wishbones on my V50 a few months back which are identical wishbones. I paid £30 each for new non-Volvo wishbones (the whole wishbone not just the bushes) from my local parts place. There are 3 bolts holding it on and you will need a ball joint separator (max £10). Just make sure you buy the wishbones with the correct diameter tapered pin on the ball joint. Took about 15 minutes a side for me. Very simple job.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 09:28   #8
Montana
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
I did both wishbones on my V50 a few months back which are identical wishbones. I paid £30 each for new non-Volvo wishbones (the whole wishbone not just the bushes) from my local parts place. There are 3 bolts holding it on and you will need a ball joint separator (max £10). Just make sure you buy the wishbones with the correct diameter tapered pin on the ball joint. Took about 15 minutes a side for me. Very simple job.
What brand did you go for? 21mm balljoint?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 20:15   #9
DavieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
Would you mind doing a quick write up of this please?
DavieC is offline   Reply With Quote