Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lacking Power Significantly

Views : 4692

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2013, 20:30   #1
imz

Default Lacking Power Significantly

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here.

My DPF on s40 2.0d (108k) was replaced about 13 months ago and little did I realise but it seems since then the car has had issues.

The main issue is there is a significant power loss, the car feels like it is just holding back but revs (takes some serious effort) over the 2800 mark so not in limp mode.

I have repeatedly checked fault codes over the months and nothing indicating power loss.

Throttle body seems ok, but what is the best way to diagnose faulty one?

EGR was changed for a new one so feel hopefully it can't be that and if it was would it not throw fault code?

Plenty of mechanics have looked at it but feel it is boosting fine so are ruling out boost leaks and turbo.

This has gone on for over 20k miles now so dont think it can be clutch etc.

Could be the torque that has vanished my but I am not too techy so not sure???

There is no fault code for DPF pressure sensor so I think that would be fine, otherwise I read it would be in limp mode???

Unplugged MAF yesterday and car started to kangeroo and was not driveable so I imagine that is not at fault - Plugged it back in.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing the issue I have, the car holds back and will not rev up freely and softly like it should.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance
imz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 20:55   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Although it has been checked a hundred times already it really really sounds like boost hose, vacuum pipe and or intercooler/pipe related. Basically I think you are either loosing boost or air somewhere.

The other possibility is the TCV.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2013, 16:42   #3
138gat
138gat

I had a similar problem and changed the TCV for a new one from volvo, about £50 ish with vat
Problem not solved so swaped the TCV's round, top to bottom and vice-versa and got full power and boost back
Nozzles on new TCV's are slightly smaller and tapered so possibly not giving an air tight fit
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 138gat For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2013, 18:03   #4
imz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138gat View Post
I had a similar problem and changed the TCV for a new one from volvo, about £50 ish with vat
Problem not solved so swaped the TCV's round, top to bottom and vice-versa and got full power and boost back
Nozzles on new TCV's are slightly smaller and tapered so possibly not giving an air tight fit
Hi thanks for response. I already tried this after probably reading your post elsewhere but unfortunately this did not work.

Thank you for your help much appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2013, 18:06   #5
imz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Although it has been checked a hundred times already it really really sounds like boost hose, vacuum pipe and or intercooler/pipe related. Basically I think you are either loosing boost or air somewhere.

Hi Sony,

I think you're right and I have it booked it in to get it checked over again.

Is there any way I can test the TCV and also for boost leaks using VIDA, a little impatient to wait for garage to do their checks. If there is please can you tell me how.

Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2013, 20:19   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Unfortunately VIDA is of no help here unless there is a code stored pointing to a cause.

If you have a boost, vacuum or intercooler leak then it is good old fashioned hands on checking over all pipework and paying great attention to the folds and underneath of pipes as well as under jubilee clips. It is amazing how small a rip, tear or hole has to be to cause havoc. Some rips only show themselves when the pipes are flexed by some load going through them so to look at it may initially appear fine on a quick inspection.

TCV, you may well pick a 2nd hand one up cheap from a breakers or dismantlers. It is not a bad idea to have a spare one of these around. You can then change one then the other to see if any of them are faulty.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2013, 20:31   #7
imz

Quote:
Unfortunately VIDA is of no help here unless there is a code stored pointing to a cause.

TCV, you may well pick a 2nd hand one up cheap from a breakers or dismantlers. It is not a bad idea to have a spare one of these around. You can then change one then the other to see if any of them are faulty.

Hi Sony,

Thanks again. Does the TCV usually throw a fault code?

Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 20:21   #8
gswede

Check your exhaust manifold nuts.
Not sure if you have a CBV on that turbo assy but if you do, make sure to check the hose going to inlet plenum. On the petrol turbos (t5) it is notorious for coming loose, as it is not fastened. If loose, vacuum leak is the result and no fault codes thrown..
Lastly, how is the pcv checkvalve doing - further more, the pcv itself?

I drove around with a faulty pcv for years without it being noticed during service or otherwise, no code. It was all masked by a faulty checkvalve.

Last edited by gswede; May 23rd, 2013 at 20:25.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 20:32   #9
imz

Quote:

Hi Sony I had the car smoke tested today and there is absolutely no leak anywhere other than a little nozzle type thing on top of the throttle body from which smoke was escaping, is this normal?

The above was not from either of the two ports in which the vacuum pipes are attached.

There was air bubbles in the fuel lines and he suggested this may be the cause, of the power loss or possibly fuel starvation. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 20:57   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

What size bubbles are you talking about and how many? Is it a constant stream of big bubbles or just some little bubbles now and again?

Depending on when you last had the fuel filter changed then it may be worth a change. Just out of interest what fault codes have you been getting?

Does it actually feel like the car has gone into limp mode when it happens but just no light on the dash?