Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 51430

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2020, 16:02   #441
TomSaintJames

Turbo and of course LH2.4 - yes Dave! The OH and I spoke about it a while back and whilst we are changing the engine anyway, the opinion was why not do it all now instead of going through a similar process in the future. A fair question, the next question was how soon can we have it back on the road? I mean, sure, as quick as you like after the bin store is built, the Lexus/Hearse/AX have all their water-ingresses fixed, the AX starter motor replaced (so it starts normally rather than bumped), the house rewired then decorated, the kitchen replaced, the garden shed finished... The list goes on! Never mind monetary stuff. So not long then? lol.

I can at least get the hearse waterproof over the next few weeks and start on the Penta engine. Well, perhaps in January?

Luke was kind enough to take us for a joy ride in his 9psi (i think) 2.3 turbo 940, it pulled very well! Without expensive new/different pistons etc to lower compression, the penta will be limited in boost (4psi?) but I'm hoping it can achieve a decent power figure and most importantly a big lump of torque, especially with a good cam. The Penta on twin carbs is rated at 155bhp, so perhaps 170 odd or more is achievable with LH2.4 at 4psi? I know this mod has been done before, but most people on turbo bricks etc seem to go for massive power figures and are well into their engine rebuilding and machining work. I either have to pay for the work or learn to do it myslf so am somewhat limited! Saying that, i'll certainly give most things a go.

Would you volvo folks recommend trying to lower the CR to make the most of the project? If so how would you do it?
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 17:04   #442
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking at your list there Tom, a bit of priotising it into what's quick, easy and relatively cheap could shortne it considerably very quickly and easily.

For example, changing the starter on an AX/106 is a 20 minute job on the 1.1 petrol models, can't remember the diseasel versions but shouldn't be that much different.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-A...5/252598094432

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-S...R/284107141545

One used, one new. Something in the back of my mind says some models had a 9-tooth drive pinion, others had 11-tooth so might be just as easy to remove your existing one, count the teeth and then order once you've checked.

That's a definite thing you can get sorted. Other stuff like making those things waterproof and building the bin store, you probably need better weather than we currently have to do them. That probably means putting them on the back burner for a while but have you got anywhere dry to work on the Penta?

The LPT turbo is nominally 4psi +/-1 and the HPT is 8psi +/-1 according to the 7/900 Data Pocket (after converting to UK units) and i can't remember the CR for the Penta engine but you should be fairly safe at that level. Probably give you about 175-180bhp and a lot of torque.
As far as i know Luke has an MBC in his 940 (or is planning on one) and the turbo does make a difference.

If you decide/need to lower the CR on the Penta, i believe Volvo supply a special head gasket to correct the compression ratio on heads that have been skimmed so might be an option. If you decide to go down the LPG route though you will probably get away without lowering the CR as it has a higher octane rating (~105) and as the red block is more of a slogger than a screamer (unless you majorly modify it) the LPG should have enough time to burn at maximum power without detonation.

A few options there, do your other leaky vehicles have sunroofs?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 19:41   #443
360beast
Go redblock or go home

It was very nice to meet you too Tom, glad I could help you out with some extra goodies too.

I'll dig out a rear anti roll bar and the brackets as I don't think the 700 series had a rear anti roll bar, that will help keep the rear end in check when you've got a lot more torque to contend with.

I've seen people turbocharge the original 10:1 compression B200E engines in the 360s before with about 10psi so I'm sure a conservative 7psi with the penta block should be more than fine.

Glad you enjoyed the ride in the 940 (got to love the turbo noises it makes!) yep MBC set to 8psi. I was hoping to have fitted the IPD turbo cam I bought for it and raised it to 12psi by now but working on other peoples cars has been a priority... who would be a self employed mechanic hey!!!

I've seen it done on other cars (can't recall any redblocks though) where people have fitted two headgaskets to lower the compression too, might be worth looking in to.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 20:28   #444
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It was very nice to meet you too Tom, glad I could help you out with some extra goodies too.

I'll dig out a rear anti roll bar and the brackets as I don't think the 700 series had a rear anti roll bar, that will help keep the rear end in check when you've got a lot more torque to contend with.

I've seen people turbocharge the original 10:1 compression B200E engines in the 360s before with about 10psi so I'm sure a conservative 7psi with the penta block should be more than fine.

Glad you enjoyed the ride in the 940 (got to love the turbo noises it makes!) yep MBC set to 8psi. I was hoping to have fitted the IPD turbo cam I bought for it and raised it to 12psi by now but working on other peoples cars has been a priority... who would be a self employed mechanic hey!!!

I've seen it done on other cars (can't recall any redblocks though) where people have fitted two headgaskets to lower the compression too, might be worth looking in to.
If memory serves the only 700s that got a rear ARB as standard were the 740 Turbo and the 740 GLT 16v, i think it was 1995 when the 940 got rear ARBs across the range although some more got them as standard.
It's a well worthwhile improvement as well, really tames the back end and reduces body roll.

I'm still thinking about doubling up on the front ARB at the moment, maybe even the rear one as well.

I can't find a part number for the thick head gasket i was on about but using two instead is another option.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 20:41   #445
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If memory serves the only 700s that got a rear ARB as standard were the 740 Turbo and the 740 GLT 16v, i think it was 1995 when the 940 got rear ARBs across the range although some more got them as standard.
It's a well worthwhile improvement as well, really tames the back end and reduces body roll.

I'm still thinking about doubling up on the front ARB at the moment, maybe even the rear one as well.

I can't find a part number for the thick head gasket i was on about but using two instead is another option.
I've got plenty here Dave if you need any!
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 20:56   #446
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've got plenty here Dave if you need any!
May well take you up on that Luke, looking into making some front ARB bushes and drop links to connect two ARBs, correct me if i'm wrong but the D bushes have small brackets that sits inside the D brackets?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 22:09   #447
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
May well take you up on that Luke, looking into making some front ARB bushes and drop links to connect two ARBs, correct me if i'm wrong but the D bushes have small brackets that sits inside the D brackets?
They do indeed, I'll see if I can find some and whatsapp you a photo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 22:20   #448
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
They do indeed, I'll see if I can find some and whatsapp you a photo.
Thanks for that, it gives me a few ideas if it's what i think it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 21:08   #449
TomSaintJames

Thanks for the replies Dave and Luke. I had a bit of a rant! It all gets a bit much sometimes and abviously the reasoned logical approach is the way to go.

Ths morning I confirmed the AX starter is gonner, a known good battery went on and no cranking. I mean to order a new one today but it was a crazy day at work - I barely even got lunch!

A rear ARB sounds like a great idea, the Hearse did wobble about at the back end a bit , not that it was ever very easy (or probably safe!) to drive with abandon.

I'll look into HG alternatives, that sounds a more user-firendly and cheaper way to lower the CR, as we're not going for hoooomongous power figures and as it will be used for long high speed journies, it'll need to be in a 'reliable' state of tune. Good news on the LPG, the wonder fuel! A bonus with it being more readily available on the continent too.

Unfortunately only the Lexus has a sunroof, and i'm 99% sure it isn't leaking there. 1st parts to check are the roof rail mounting gaskets at the rear, apparently a known leaking point as the rubber shrinks over time. There are 5 or 6 other 'well known' points too though! We do love the car so I don't mind doing stuff with it.

I think meeting Luke and experiencing his breathed on 940 has given me a bit of a nudge with the Hearse, being in Luke's 940 was a very very different experience than being in the Hearse!
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 22:12   #450
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Thanks for the replies Dave and Luke. I had a bit of a rant! It all gets a bit much sometimes and abviously the reasoned logical approach is the way to go.

Ths morning I confirmed the AX starter is gonner, a known good battery went on and no cranking. I mean to order a new one today but it was a crazy day at work - I barely even got lunch!

A rear ARB sounds like a great idea, the Hearse did wobble about at the back end a bit , not that it was ever very easy (or probably safe!) to drive with abandon.

I'll look into HG alternatives, that sounds a more user-firendly and cheaper way to lower the CR, as we're not going for hoooomongous power figures and as it will be used for long high speed journies, it'll need to be in a 'reliable' state of tune. Good news on the LPG, the wonder fuel! A bonus with it being more readily available on the continent too.

Unfortunately only the Lexus has a sunroof, and i'm 99% sure it isn't leaking there. 1st parts to check are the roof rail mounting gaskets at the rear, apparently a known leaking point as the rubber shrinks over time. There are 5 or 6 other 'well known' points too though! We do love the car so I don't mind doing stuff with it.

I think meeting Luke and experiencing his breathed on 940 has given me a bit of a nudge with the Hearse, being in Luke's 940 was a very very different experience than being in the Hearse!
No worries Tom, that's one of the beauties of the forum because any of us also run more than one car and have all been there, done that, got the T-shirt and book and sold the film rights for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing!

With the Lexus, if the roof rail gaskets are a known leakage point, don't mess about, just order some new ones from Toyota/Lexus. Remove the rails, clean, polish and wax the paintowrk where the gaskets sit and smear some silicone grease on the gaskets before fitting. Wipe any excess that might squeeze out off.
Also see if you can locate the sunroof drain hoses and give them a good inspection, wouldn't be surprised to learn Toyota/Lexus use a similar rubber elbow/valve effort to what Honda/Rover did and the downpipe from the sunroof has pulled out of one or more of the elbows.
Also worth removing the tail light clusters, give the rubber gaskets a good soak and then vigorous handwash in hot soapy (strong washing up liquid solution is good) water, squeezing to help get the dirt out and the air back in to the gaskets, rinse thoroughly and then dry thoroughly. Same procedure on cleaning, polishing and waxing the paint where the gaskets meet then smear some silicone grease on the gaskets and if possible, fit them back to front, left side on the right cluster, right side on the left but back to front so they match the shape.
Usually there is a ridge on the back of the cluster which helps form the seal, by doing it back to front you are pressing onto gasket material that won't have had the ridge in it before.

Not always possible, the 7/9x5 tail light gaskets can't be turned round because of a large lump at the bottom so check your gaskets before trying it.

The back end wobbling from side to side a little is a characteristic of a live axle with Panhard Rod set up, nothing to worry about. One end of the P rod is bolted to the chassis, the other to the right of centre just on top of the axle.
As the back end goes up and down, the P rod swings in an arc that helps keep the axle roughly central but because the end is fixed to the chassis, obviously that arc pulls the axle to the left at the top and bottom of its travel.

That pic shows a slightly different design of Panhard (silver) Rod, fixed on the right and going all the way over to the left but if you use your imagination you can see how it would move the axle sideways as it goes up and down. The better version is the Watts Linkage, not really needed for the hearse but something Luke might think of to improve the handling :

https://www.speednik.com/wp-content/...-21_665499.gif

Click that link to see how the Watts Linkage works and it will help you visualise the Panhard Rod and how it moves the axle sideways a little.

With the hearse you've arguably got the slowest, least performance orientated model of the 700 range (without including the fact it spent a lot of its time driving at 10mph in a cortege!) so anything a bit livelier is going to feel vastly different but the 7/9xx range really does benefit from more powerful engines, total transformation really.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: