Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bargain Mintex Brake kit

Views : 1932

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2016, 20:56   #21
foeism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
Sorry fella, but you're gonna need to explain what you mean?
Sorry my bad. I thought these were rear discs and pads, hence why I was asking, but now realise these are fronts!
foeism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 08:45   #22
Tunneruk

Time to update this thread ....

The first set of Mintex I fitted lasted about 20k miles but they were warped or hot spotted and pretty awful. I put this down to my Missus driving style (as she drives the car most) She has got into the habit of coasting down slip roads and coming down from motorway speeds with her foot on the clutch and using no engine braking I have since explained the error of her ways

I bought another identical set of Mintex discs and pads and fitted them recently and I'm sorry to say that they've rather quickly gone the same way, lumpy and vibey under braking. They've only done 4k miles and they're already horrible.

So .... more than happy to eat humble pie for those that warned me and I certainly won't be buying any more Mintex kit in the future.
Tunneruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 20:43   #23
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

I'll agree with Tunneruk. I replaced 4 discs and pads over a year ago with "Mintex" discs and pads. After a short while I got a shudder on the front under light pedal application. Greased up all the sliders, little or no difference. Pedal was a bit hard and unresponsive but worked fine to get it through the annual test.
I just replaced the fronts with drilled and grooved discs and new Mintex pads. £25 more than the standard items. Significant difference in braking response and feel to the pedal.
I'm glad I paid the extra.
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 08:14   #24
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes, I had problems in the past with mintex discs warping. They were fitted correctly, checked for run-out amd initially fine, but wore fast and warped. They were genuine, from my local motor factor. I also got mintex drums, they were oval! Id fitted the bearings and used them by the time I found out, so wasnt messing about returning them.
Mintex pads came on,my last car, and tbf they worked well, but looking at the disc they werent being kind to it.

Imo there's a reason Mintex stuff is cheap.

Back to the discs, I replaced them with Apec discs, much better quality in appearance, and had no problems at all with them.

Mintex are part of tmd friction now btw, have been a long while, tmd friction is Pagid, Textar, and another I dont recall. I think tmd have 're-aligned' mintex as their economy brand (my viewpoint)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 20:04   #25
monk3yfurr

I also fitted that same set, juddering within 2k miles! Now fitted Apec discs and all's well.
monk3yfurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 21:54   #26
Tamworthbay

Mintex do a range of stuff, their basic run of the mill range is ok and cheap but not great. Some of their more advanced stuff is fantastic, I have used their 1144 compound pads on numerous rally and race cars and they are second to none. Sadly they are now listed as not road legal due to changes in allowable compounds in road pads. But on one of my minis they seemed almost vcapable of getting the car to do an endo when combined decent slick tyres. As with most things you get what you pay for. EBC greenstuff are a decent compromise for road use.

Last edited by Tamworthbay; Sep 1st, 2018 at 22:29.
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 22:21   #27
AndyV7o
Premier Member

As I say, Mintex seem to have been repositioned as a budget brand, albeit a 'stealth' budget brand in that they appear to be a premium brand at an astonishingly good price...
As has been said, ya get what ya pay for.
I wont buy mintex.
Id rather buy Apec, their discs are good from experience, and just took a full set of (worn out) apec pads out of my wifes car which stopped very well indeed (though I didnt get them hot, thats reputedly their failing point, have been known to set on fire with very hard use, though not designed for that)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote