Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE

Views : 1540

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 22:49   #1
Chas

Hello

I drove,until last Friday, a 11.2000 registered V70 2.4 automatic with 54k on clock - I'm a private hire driver and use the car mainly for Airport Tranfer work - hence high milage which

I was on 'cruise control' at around 60mph and about to exit M42 when I encountered Total Engine Failure (Blow Up). No problems had been obvious - no oil pressure loss, no overheating - just 'bang' lots of smoke etc. - lucky to be alive - maybe !

The car had been serviced just fourteen days earlier.......

The engine has yet to be dismantled and fault diagnosed but the car is presently with a Volvo dealership awaiting warranty claim proceedure.

Has anybody any similar experiences ? All views and any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Charles Sadler

ps My last Volvo, 850GLT Auto - just sold - had done 200k+.............

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 16:53   #2
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: V70 TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE

Has the timing belt been relaced at a recent service ? failure of it would be as you describe!!

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 20:19   #3
JamJar

Having been there I agree with jaytee

145s
760 Turbo
850 GLT
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 20:44   #4
alexzoutsos

Why would the timing belt be done early thou? The intervals is 80k on those cars I thought - unless it was done early as a preventative measure but a dodgy belt was fitted - how ironic :)
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 22:49   #5
Chas

No it hasn't - no need. Volvo adise me that the crankcase has split - only one similar uncident known to them and that was down to driver abuse of which I was not guilty !!!
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 22:50   #6
Chas

Volvo adise me that the crankcase has split - only one similar uncident known to them and that was down to driver abuse of which I was not guilty !!!
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 22:52   #7
Chas

Volvo adise me that the crankcase has split - only one similar incident known to them and that was down to driver abuse of which I was not guilty !!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:28   #8
Networkguy

Default RE: V70 TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE

>Volvo adise me that the crankcase has split - only one
>similar uncident known to them and that was down to driver
>abuse of which I was not guilty !!!

Just think yourself lucky that the car is under warranty. This sounds like a very expensive repair.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2002, 17:48   #9
Chas

Well I have news........An engineer, in fact two engineers have concluded that the failure was caused by the engine HYDRAULICING - is there such a word ?

A couple of days prior to the failure I had hit some deep standing water on the road which resulted in a stalled / stopped engine. I managed to restart it and noticed no apparent problems. I covered some 330 miles before the engine finally 'gave out'

The engineers tell me that normally such an occurance would result in an immediate failure but just occasionally the engine will 'Limp On'for some time before 'giving up'- This appears to have happened in my case.

It now appears that if what is suspected was the cause then I am covered by my normal Motor Insurance which is with Norwich Union. I have registered a claim and await the outcome.

Incidentally, Volvo advise that such damage WOULD NOT BE COVERED under the warranty !!!!!!!!!! Understandable I suppose as Volvo's
do not yet produce a 'Four Wheeled Boat'...................

Regards
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:20   #10
Mav_UK

Me thinks I know what they mean - was the water deep enough to go into the air intake? If you get water into the pistons then it's V bad, as water doesn't compress other things give way instead. So if that's the case I can see their point, although I think modern cars have stupid designing putting the air intake so low........

Stu