Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shaking on start up

Views : 975

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:02   #1
MidnightT4

Default Shaking on start up

Well started the car up this morning. first minute was fine then it was as if the car was shaking or engine was firing on 3 cylinders but the revs were fine etc??? any ideas??

I thought maybe spark plugs as i did buy from a non volvo car garage who serviced it.
MidnightT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:40   #2
caveman
Premier Member

are your engine mounts ok?
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:02   #3
MidnightT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
are your engine mounts ok?
cavey
Ill need to have a look. Car has only done 33k so hope they are fine.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:07   #4
MidnightT4

It actually seems to be affecting the revs so maybe it is the plugs as you can hear it struggle
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:16   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Volvo plugs are apparently the best...: Part # 8692070 (I just changed mine that's why I have the part number handy)
I believe from reading on here that it's best to use only Volvo parts on the T4...especially the engine.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:20   #6
MidnightT4

Going to taker them out this afternoon and check them, the ones in are prob non genuine volvo plugs and have to wait a day for my local dealer to get them in but at £29.31 inc vat ill be happy if its sorted as they wanted 76+vat to put it on the diagnostic machine.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:58   #7
MidnightT4

took cover off etc and my plug socket is too damn big :S

So its going to a local diagnostic place to be checked over as volvo want over 86quid just to check it.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 18:25   #8
MidnightT4

Well eventually got a right size socket. took them out and they do look pretty dirty although the are genuine volvo plugs. tips are a bit white.

My local dealer cant get any till friday so i cleaned them up a bit and all seems ok.

Meanwhile im getting a set of bosch platinum tips to tide me over for the week as they mention .7mm gap where NGK say its 0.8:S

On another note when i rev the car up and let it come down there seems to be a whining noise coming from the drivers side which varies to the same speed as the rpm. IT sounds like a pully spinning or something is this normal or should i be worried???
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 18:44   #9
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

My advice is stick with Volvo plugs; non-genuine ones tend to cause more issues rather than fix them. To complicate matters, there are two "types" of Volvo plugs, one made by Champion (in the UK) and the other by Bosch (in Germany). Best avoid the Champion ones because according to my dealer, they seem to have a higher rate of faulty plugs per set, than the Bosch equivalent. You can, of course, get the identical plugs directly from Bosch but I'm not sure what the part number will be.

A "whining" noise from the driver's side could be one of the pulleys associated with the drive / aux belts so best have a good listen with the bonnet popped up and try to identify where its coming from.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:57   #10
MidnightT4

Its hard to really identify where it is in the drivers side of the engine bay but its deffoe there and coming from the general area where all the belts are.

Anyway an update.

Driving home yesterday the car was ok for 4-5mins then started hesitating and stuttering badly when the boost kicks in a 2k rpm. so must defoo be plugs.

As for bosch im only getting them today as they have the proper gap unlike the ngk who say its 0.8mm. Volvo have somewhat uncertanty as to if im going to get oplugs from them this week

When i had the volvo plugs out the part number was a bosch platinum plug number