Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28818

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2015, 08:18   #51
tt82
Forum Support Team

Surely it would have been easier to just hit the windscreen with a brick/rock and claim a stone was flicked up by a truck on the motorway!

p.s. Is the new windscreen a genuine Volvo replacement of an aftermarket item?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 17:31   #52
Topper

Looks like I'm lucky ....???? .....or ....!!!

Washed the car this morning and noticed ( for the first time ever ) with hose pipe on spray on the outside, water running from roof downwards, toward top of windscreen, and at about 30 mm in on passenger side, a leak has developed from top of screen. It runs about 12 mm down, inside, then drops onto dash above glove box.

After reading everyone's comments :

1. Yes, it's a D 5 .... 2008 .... mileage 73K !
2. Checked carpet ... dry.
3. Checked screen with slight push and ... yes ... movement only at place detailed above.
4. Took it immediately to my brilliant, tame, independent who's reliably and expertly looked after the car for 4 years .. he thinks it's a screen re-bond job ... he knows " a windscreen fitter " .. to check next week.

Interested in N Elliott's comments about getting insurance company to pay .. did that take much pressure ( not the screen !) ??? ... can you say who they were ??? ... premium hike at re-insurance time ? Anyone else followed that route successfully ?

My only thoughts .. as per earlier comments re body twists. returned from France, heavily loaded, about 2 weeks ago, after about 2000 mile holiday with " twists and turns " in the Loire and parking car in baking sun near beaches, and on arrival in UK from the Euro Tunnel, up to London on M 25 /M 26 the worst torrential rain I've ever been in (for about 1/2 hour ... didn't leak then !) ... but I've never had this windscreen fault on any of my Volvo's before, following similar travels.

Be interested in the validity of this problem being a " batch " of 2008 / 2009 vehicles. Looks like I'm faced with a repair of between about £ 100 - 700, unless the insurance Company coughs up. If it's only £ 100 I'll live with it but surely Volvo should know by now...or do we have shades of VW naughties ..???

Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 19:04   #53
HairyMonster

Just had my 2009 XC60 Windscreen rebonded, fitter showed me pictures of the screen showing that it had not bonded properly, all along the top section of the windscreen.

3 Hours and £60 later a dry car
HairyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 12:17   #54
Topper

Can I Ask ...???? ... by who fitted ?

Topper
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 12:56   #55
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post

Topper
National Windscreens did mine for £72 earlier this year. (See on page 2 of this Thread.)
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 18:54   #56
HairyMonster

Quote:

Topper
National Windscreens Newcastle £60.00 Screen taken out cleaned, and refitted.
HairyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 12:05   #57
Topper

On another post here, people are querying that City Braking System ( ADAS ? ) has to be recalibrated after a new screen is fitted.......... what is that about ?? ..... any experience ???

Interested in other comments here also ... on checking further on my windscreen by my "indy", the whole top moves away from body by 2-3 mm ... much to our surprise and consternation ... I'm having a new one fitted ...hopefully, by local company who can / will replace under insurance !

Topper
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 10:30   #58
Topper

Bit the bullet ... had new windscreen fitted by excellent local independent ... screen was chipped slightly so it couldn't be removed for "re-bonding", without possibility of damage..

1. .........because I didn't choose the insurance co's recommended supplier, excess limited by them to a total of £ 100.00 ... not an excess which contributes toward the actual replacement cost ... be careful and check your insurance if you do this.

2. ...........fitters opinion on having removed the windscreen ??? ... the primer had not bonded to body shell, consequently the bonding glue then attached to primer .. but did not attach the screen to the body !!!! ... whole top of screen and part of drivers side pillar was "loose" ... hardly re-assuring. Screen could be virtually pushed out from the inside ... original screen when car supplied !!!!

Topper
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:03   #59
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Bit the bullet ... had new windscreen fitted by excellent local independent ... screen was chipped slightly so it couldn't be removed for "re-bonding", without possibility of damage..

2. ...........fitters opinion on having removed the windscreen ??? ... the primer had not bonded to body shell, consequently the bonding glue then attached to primer .. but did not attach the screen to the body !!!! ... whole top of screen and part of drivers side pillar was "loose" ... hardly re-assuring. Screen could be virtually pushed out from the inside ... original screen when car supplied !!!!

Topper
Following your and other's (including me) experience - so much for the claim that the windscreen on a car is and integral part of the car's strength. Autoglass claim it represents up to 30% of a car's strength, a direct quote from http://www.autoglassnews.co.uk/index.php?id=2020-vision states "Dr Chris Davies, head of technical research & innovation at Autoglass® said, As well as accounting for up to 30% of a vehicle's structural strength, the windscreen has become an interactive tool for sharing information and improving the driver experience."

If Volvo have failed in their duty to ensure that windscreens have been fitted properly it could also be claimed that they have failed to ensure the car has 100% designed "structural strength". As I have commented before on this Thread, I wonder what Volvo have to say about their apparent failure in ensuring that windscreens have been fitted properly and hence they have been selling cars with reduced "structural strength".
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:59   #60
Topper

Has anybody questioned them ( Volvo ) ........ ??? ... why not ???? ... should they be ???

Topper