Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine loses power and dies

Views : 454

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2022, 18:41   #1
Malcolm10

Exclamation Engine loses power and dies

My V70 D5 2004, started a little sluggishly last Saturday on the drive, then 500yards along the main road it died, no power, stiff steering. Red warning light "Engine service required urgently". I managed to pull to the side of the road, kept trying to start it but nothing doing. Battery still had a good charge. Other Random messages also appeared sporadically whilst trying to start. Locked up tried again and also tried second being left overnight it has started first time.
Now this had happed once before but car restarted, told my Volvo trained mechanic about it before the service in November 2021. He could find no evidence of what exactly had occurred.

Not sure what the problem may be, seems like a fuel issue but its now working, could be electric as I saw several error messages included the ABS being switch off temporarily.
On both occasions the weather was wet and cold, it broke down in almost exactly the same spot from a cold start. The car had not been left for days without use.
No real exact matches in the forum I can find, but I am considering:
Fuel pressure control valve
Fuel transfer pipe and fuel filter (diesel is still getting to injectors though)
Fuel filter
Fuel pump relay

Any help greatly appreciated as its quite scary when everything goes dead.
Malcolm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 19:03   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Fuel filter first chap !

A whole £1 says it’s that!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 13:03   #3
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

When "Engine Service Required Urgently" is displayed, there will be a fault code associated with this. My suggestion is that you spend £100 on an iCarsoft i906 reader. Others use VIDA which is more comprehensive but for a quick diagnostic at the roadside I find it unbeatable and it is specifically for Volvo and Saab. There is no translating of codes required, it says what the faults are and you can reset them. (Whether they stay reset depends on the problem being fixed of course).

Just the other day I got the same message as you and it told me it was the fuel pressure control valve. It turned out to be a loose connection to the valve. I'm not saying that yours will be as simple as that one, but it would be a big step to narrow down the cause. Without knowing the codes, you are really stabbing in the dark and you may end up spending money on parts that you don't need to replace, not to mention your time.

For me, it was well worth the £100.
-----------------------------------------------------
V70 D5 2004 163bph

Last edited by Roy V70 850; Jan 11th, 2022 at 13:20.
Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roy V70 850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 16:59   #4
Malcolm10

Thumbs up

Thank you both. I have ordered a fuel filter and I think I can borrow a ICarsoft machine, but I will order one for the future. With the fuel filter I won't know if the problem is cured but it probably needed it as I cannot see one recorded in the service invoice. I have a few error codes to look for so hopefully I will get it cured. Its still starts and runs well today.

Malcolm
Malcolm10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine stops, no power, warning light