Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136032

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 7th, 2021, 12:00   #471
Smiffy2

I,ve had the 850 T5,XC90,and two XC60's
The latest is the MY14 R Des pro auto,4 awd,D5,Polestar,and a raft of other
extras. Currently 75000 miles on the clock.

It is a fabulous car and ticks all the boxes for me
Smiffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 13:28   #472
Tom Corbett

Hi All.
Just bought my 2014 XC60 SUV and here learning to navigate the forum, when I actually need to be getting on with something else(!!).
So far I'm reasonably pleased with the car which I bought to pull our caravan. Won't be using it much around town (everybody has two cars nowadays? (joke!)) for which we use my wife's Toyota Yaris.

Selling points for us. -
E6 emissions and £30 tax.
Heavier than other similar cars which helps with caravan stability.
Came with tow hook but not factory fitted and needing a supplementary tow skt (but not the car's fault of course)
Decent price and low mileage (again not to do with the car itself).
Decent established car dealer who can hopefully be relied upon to sort out problems.

But things I don't like and almost put me off the sale -
ALL the gimmicks!! I don't need them or want them. I'm used to electronic hand-break from my VW Passat, but I constantly ask the question -WHY? And as others here have said it is counter intuitive. Almost had a couple of accidents driving it home from the dealers!
Didn't come with a printed handbook because it is on the radio display.
No spare wheel but one of those silly foam tyre repair kits. What happens when I rip a tyre, as I once did, hitting a roadside rock?
Instrument display -- just give me proper mechanical dials please! I know I can change the display but I haven't figured that out yet -- see manual on the radio as stated above. Irritating.
No jack. The guy selling me the car said not needed because of foam tyre repair -- Bull ****ting me? I will be going back if not true, so something to find out somewhere here.
Internal noise -- clonks about like a delivery van (ok, noise is a bit of a subjective response). Haven't been able to isolate it yet but it is not the tail gate or anything moving about in the rear. Garage says not from chassis but I'm not sure. Will keep on looking. Appears to be a problem with Volvos from what I have read on line. But it is quite a bit worse than my previous much older 2007 VW Passat

But in general we are pleased with the XC60. The things I don't like are pretty much universal with other manufacturers anyway. Will report back here when we have taken the caravan on holiday.

Last edited by Tom Corbett; Aug 10th, 2021 at 13:38.
Tom Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 13:58   #473
Deck1ng
Master Member

There is an online manual you can download on pdf file, all 380+ pages, or buy a second hand manual from a well known auction site.
I’m sorry you find the car so not to your likening, the salesman was obviously selling sand to the Arabs last week. As a very happy owner, I would say don’t believe everything you read, yes every manufacture will get a battering occasionally, just because you have a rattle in the boot doesn’t make it an inherent problem with all Volvos.
I really hope you come to love the car you have purchased. Like I love mine.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 15:09   #474
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
There is an online manual you can download on pdf file, all 380+ pages, or buy a second hand manual from a well known auction site.
I’m sorry you find the car so not to your likening, the salesman was obviously selling sand to the Arabs last week. As a very happy owner, I would say don’t believe everything you read, yes every manufacture will get a battering occasionally, just because you have a rattle in the boot doesn’t make it an inherent problem with all Volvos.
I really hope you come to love the car you have purchased. Like I love mine.
you can also get the paper manual from the parts department .. much easier to read than a pdf and you will find info in the handbook which you do not find elsewhere...
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 23:03   #475
JGEM

I really like the electronic handbrake - the only issue I have is the stupid position of the control, but after 7 years, 160,000km in the XC60 I've got used to it.
I never release the handbrake manually (no need to), so I only ever touch the control to set the handbrake on. Maybe you are trying to "over control" the handbrake and treat it like a handbrake lever and hence the confusion. Try just using the control to set the handbrake and see how that goes is my suggestion.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 18:54   #476
VolvoGirlYorks

Hey All,

Just picked my R Design Nav D4 Auto 2016 XC60 up today, well happy.

Wanted one about two years ago, but bought a V40 SE Lux instread. The V40 was written off before Christmas however helped keep me very safe indeed so for me, it is Volvos all the way now.

Only one question / concern from me........and in the grand scheme of things, it sounds pathetic, lol

Are Electric Folding Side Mirrors standard kit? Mine doesn't seem to have them or if it does, they are not working. Can't find the Activate and Deactivate in My Volvo and holding down the L and R buttons doesn't move them either.

Now I could be being very thick and have not done something, lol

In any case, so happy to finally have the car i have always wanted.

Cheers,

Zandra
x
VolvoGirlYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:09   #477
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGirlYorks View Post
Hey All,

Just picked my R Design Nav D4 Auto 2016 XC60 up today, well happy.

Wanted one about two years ago, but bought a V40 SE Lux instread. The V40 was written off before Christmas however helped keep me very safe indeed so for me, it is Volvos all the way now.

Only one question / concern from me........and in the grand scheme of things, it sounds pathetic, lol

Are Electric Folding Side Mirrors standard kit? Mine doesn't seem to have them or if it does, they are not working. Can't find the Activate and Deactivate in My Volvo and holding down the L and R buttons doesn't move them either.

Now I could be being very thick and have not done something, lol

In any case, so happy to finally have the car i have always wanted.

Cheers,

Zandra
x
PonteCarlo??
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 22:10   #478
MartyButler

Have my 2014 XC60 D5 AWD manual now for nearly 4 years.
Really like the car and it ticks all of the boxes I ask for in a car, I live in the country so the ground clearance is great, good for towing a trailer (1st is a nice low gear) Leather seats is great with 3 kids, Heated windscreen and seats are brilliant for this time of year.
As for problems, I have done 45,000 miles in it and the car has 132,000 miles (a vet had it before me) like all cars even if its only servicing things have to be done and I am lucky enough to enjoy doing them.
Done most things in the last 4 years, shocks, brakes, timing belt etc but I would class these as wearing parts.
Have done 2 sensors in the last 2 months Rear wheel sensor in Nov and Fuel Vol Control sensor in Dec hadn't done one up till then and hopefully that's it.
Driving over 30 years and have had Fords, VW's, Audis and BMWs and am really impressed by what you get with Volvo in terms of build quality and level of spec.

Just as a note if you have an AWD car please don't forget to service the Haldex unit, it is often overlooked.
MartyButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 22:13   #479
MartyButler

"Are Electric Folding Side Mirrors standard kit? Mine doesn't seem to have them or if it does, they are not working. Can't find the Activate and Deactivate in My Volvo and holding down the L and R buttons doesn't move them either."

Try checking the fuse, even if the mirrors aren't programmed to fold in when you lock the car, holding down the L+R should work.

PS Enjoy the new car
MartyButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 00:10   #480
suke

We also have a 2014 D5 63,300 miles.
So far this year we have had a new propshaft £1,000 and today a new engine £6,500.00
because of a cracked block.
suke is offline   Reply With Quote