Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator? Warning lights up!

Views : 603

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2021, 23:17   #11
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Thanks everybody.

I made it to the garage easily, the 3 warning lights were still very bright when I arrived, so I drove half way to work and all the way back with the belt snapped. I have been changing belts every 10 thou since my car started eating them but this one has only covered about 9 thou.

What is strange though is that since the mechanic fitted the new belt, on the drive home there is a sort of a very quiet whistle from my engine as I accelerate. Its not a bad noise, its quite a nice noise, but it's not a noise I've ever heard my engine make in almost 10 years of ownership and I am wondering if it is the turbo starting to fail but why would it only start making this noise immediately after new fanbelt fitting?

She's booked in on Tues and Weds for service, belts, cam belt, MOT, brake fluid change, exhaust bracket, all sorts! Plus an estimate for head gasket replacement.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 23:48   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad to hear you made it to the garage and then home afterwards safe and sound without breakdowns Ellie!

The whistle is probably a combination of the new belt bedding in and the alternator working seriously hard to recharge the battery from its severely discharged state. It might have still started on its own power after the new belt was fitted but would have been fairly well depleted.

See how it goes over the next few days, if my theory is right then the whistle will gradually disappear. I know if i've been doing something where the battery is a bit depleted the alternator does growl/whine a bit (and the belts squeal at the moment too - they need tightening but i'm probably going to renew them instead) until it's recharged the battery.

Hopefully your turbo is in rude health and just needs a service to change the oil/filter to keep it quietly and happily running.

Given the timings though and the obvious extra load on the alternator, my bet is on the new belt bedding in, whining a bit because it's new and working hard coupled with a bit of alternator whine. You've probably not noticed alternator whine before partly because it may not have happened before but mainly because you were likely in a state of heightened awareness where any new (or even not so new) noise is more obvious because you had escaped a breakdown.

The other day for example i renewed the handbrake shoes and disc/drums on the rear. Driving up the road for walkies i heard every pothole i hit with any sort of clonk that i was previously used to ignoring but because i was listening in case something hadn't settled right on the handbrake/shoes/pads etc or even a wheel nut (despite the fact i torqued them twice and then rechecked them) come loose, i noticed every single pothole because of heightened awareness.

See how the whine goes, i'm pretty sure it will disappear over the next few days but if it doesn't then investigate.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 12:19   #13
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Cheers Dave, thats put my mind at rest!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post: