Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V Power or E10 unleaded

Views : 1429

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2021, 22:08   #1
peter312

Default V Power or E10 unleaded

Since buying my T4 engined V60 new last year, I have only ever used Shell V Power. I have only done this in the perhaps naive belief that it will keep the engine’s internals cleaner than standard unleaded, making it last longer.

If I swapped to standard unleaded, I would only use branded fuel. Does anyone have any experience of comparing how a 2020 T4 runs on ordinary unleaded with running on V Power? Will I lose any MPG and will the engine “coke up” quicker if I run the car on a branded unleaded?

I mainly drive on A roads and on the Motorway at 60 to 65 mph getting an indicated 43 to 44 MPG and intend to keep this car for many years.

Many thanks
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 22:14   #2
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter312 View Post
Since buying my T4 engined V60 new last year, I have only ever used Shell V Power. I have only done this in the perhaps naive belief that it will keep the engine’s internals cleaner than standard unleaded, making it last longer.

If I swapped to standard unleaded, I would only use branded fuel. Does anyone have any experience of comparing how a 2020 T4 runs on ordinary unleaded with running on V Power? Will I lose any MPG and will the engine “coke up” quicker if I run the car on a branded unleaded?

I mainly drive on A roads and on the Motorway at 60 to 65 mph getting an indicated 43 to 44 MPG and intend to keep this car for many years.

Many thanks
Mate branded v unbranded and lower vs higher RON is not going to keep that engine any cleaner. All fuel in this country is of a high standard unless you’re unfortunate enough to find yourself buying fuel from somewhere with a low turnover and it’s been sitting around in the storage long term.

Out of interest does it say in your manual that 97 Ron plus is recommended for better performance? I dont think I can tell much difference on mine between 95 Ron and 99 Ron. I would love someone to do the test with the modern volvo engines as to whether the Ron actually makes any meaningful difference.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 23:21   #3
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Mate branded v unbranded and lower vs higher RON is not going to keep that engine any cleaner. All fuel in this country is of a high standard unless you’re unfortunate enough to find yourself buying fuel from somewhere with a low turnover and it’s been sitting around in the storage long term.

Out of interest does it say in your manual that 97 Ron plus is recommended for better performance? I dont think I can tell much difference on mine between 95 Ron and 99 Ron. I would love someone to do the test with the modern volvo engines as to whether the Ron actually makes any meaningful difference.
Apart from when I first got my V60 T5 I have used Tesco Momentum (99 RON)
I changed from the 97RON fuel as I felt the engine ran much smoother, and, although marginal, I think the fuel consumtion is better. That is subjective, I don't have any definitive figures to support that viwe.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 23:33   #4
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Apart from when I first got my V60 T5 I have used Tesco Momentum (99 RON)
I changed from the 97RON fuel as I felt the engine ran much smoother, and, although marginal, I think the fuel consumtion is better. That is subjective, I don't have any definitive figures to support that viwe.
I’m on tesco 99 Ron too. I’m pretty certain there has been no noticeable difference between that and v power.

I’m feels smoother on the 99 vs a 95 Ron, but like you that’s anecdotal and frankly I can’t tell whether I’m imagining it or not..!
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:17   #5
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

I seem to remember that some years ago there were some good articles on the ‘actual’ added additive contents and their percentages that fuel retailers provide e.g. Shell, Esso…) The supermarkets are harder to confirm as I believe they can buy direct from the refinery or from one of the main fuel retailers e.g. Shell, or even a mix.

I seem to remember that what comes out of the fuel refinery is generic – plain old BS unleaded petrol or diesel.

However, once each fuel retailer receives their generic fuel from the refinery, they then add in their own specific cocktail of additives at their own specific percentages. (Refinery's can also do this on behalf of the retailer at source)

So, for the most part “petrol is petrol” but you then have the individual additive cocktails and percentages of each fuel retailer to think about.
You are most likely getting a better product – based on the additives and percentages, from one of the main fuel retailers e.g. Esso, BP, Shell, rather than from the supermarket retailers.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:58   #6
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

There is no more energy content in higher octane fuel. What the rating indicates is a greater resistance to knock, the early combustion of the fuel-air mixture that causes cylinder pressure to spike.

When higher-octane fuel is used the modern engine controllers can take advantage of the elevated knock threshold and dial in more aggressive timing and higher boost pressures to improve performance. ( that is my simplistic understanding)

So the first part of the decision is whether your engine can take advantage of that. Some can and some can't. I am pretty certain, without checking, that according to the manuals, the T4 is recommended to use higher octane fuel to 'get best performance'.

I am surprised that the myth of branded fuel still persists. This link outlines the position and explains about additives.
https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/news-i...ermarket-fuel/

So in summary you may see marginal improvement in mpg but how much depends as ever on your driving style, you may notice it feels more responsive to the throttle and you should notice that the engine 'feels smoother'. It is nothing significant though. I find I can justify the extra costs on the basis of a marginal improvement in mpg (31 to 33 mpg) and the 'feel'.
We use it in both the T5 S60 and the T2 V40 and the dofference is noticeable.

Hope that help but basically try and see if it is worth it for you.

Finally I am surprised that the myth of branded fuel still persists.
https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/news-i...ermarket-fuel/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ovlov04v For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:35   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Compared to gasoline, the energy content of ethanol is lower.
So probably fuel with 5% ethanol has more energy content than fuel with 10%.
At least in Belgium, RON95 (E10) contains 10% ethanol, 98RON (E5) has 5% ethanol.
This can explain the better fuel consumption of E5 fuel.
When I use 98RON, the lower fuel consumption about compensates the higher price.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 14:14   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Or fill up from a station that has just had a delivery to near empty tanks within two or three hours of you filling your car. In which case all the sludge that inevitably build up at the bottom of even the best underground tanks will still be in suspension and transferred into your car's fuel tank. It's a lottery as to whether this happens to you and the extent to which the fuel might be contaminated .
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 10:24   #9
peter312

Thank you for all of your comments. With particular reference to:

Quote:
my car’s manual states:
  • RON 95 can be used for normal driving.
    RON 98 is recommended for good power and low fuel consumption

As you can probably guess from my original post, I tend to drive a quite gently now that I am a little older so I am not so concerned about speed or acceleration, as long as the car runs smoothly. Shell, amongst others, make certain claims about how their higher octane fuel also helps keep the engine cleaner and I’m trying to establish whether that means it is better at doing that compared to their regular fuel. I appreciate that other fuels are available and that I probably have some perhaps unfounded hang ups about supermarket fuels. Where I live, it’s basically Shell or Morrisons.

Kind regards

Peter
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 10:50   #10
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

^^^^^^^^;
All the brands additives are broadly similar. Those companies, Shell, Esso etc whose business is oil/gas probably have better overal systems for design, quality control etc with regard to additives. They also likely use greater volumes per gallon and have closer tolerances on their specs. So you coud argue that it is a better product with greater consistency of supply. But-----

For example, Shell, BP and Esso all have premium grades and you will find followers of each who report subjectively that their vehicle runs best on----

As to your comment about acceleration etc. Remember this is not a remap of your engine, the claims are about keeping the fuel system in best order and your engine running smoothly. Thus extracting best use of the energy available in the fuel.
I realise this is an advert but it is worth a read to understand what Shell says it is supposed to do.

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/v-p...-unleaded.html

p.s. Yes it will keep things cleaner than regular fuel.