Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Temp High reduce speed

Views : 950

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 14:42   #1
taxi driver

Default Engine Temp High reduce speed

Been having some engine temp problems with my V70 163BHP 2010. Thermostat and temp sensor have been changed. Live data shows temp of 112deg providing I switch A/C off and drive at 55-60 mph.
Last week I took the car for diagnostic check at non-franchise Volvo and they reported the following.
1) Glow plug relay faulty (Glow plugs working on 2 cylinders) All new fitted 6 months ago
2) Regen unsuccessful
3) Cooling fan control errors.

I spoke to the mechanic and he explained that the glow plugs are used to carry out a regen, in my case this was not being completed and the car was constantly running hot trying.
The cooling fan control unit was not switching the cooling fan as and when required.
This all makes sense, I was aware when starting in cold weather the engine was lumpy.
3 days later and they haven't got back to me with a price.
A few questions:-
Does a new relay need to be coded to the car? If not where is it situated? and can I just replace it?
If I can replace the relay Is it possible to jump the cooling fan control unit? for test purposes to try and force a regen? (100% fan).
Thanks
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 17:40   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would personally want to deal with them one by one to see what the impact is....

So I'd get the glowplugs sorted - this might cure the regen (it is a plausible explanation).

Once that's bottomed - do you still overheat?

The fan running or not I don't think will make any difference at 55-60 mph, the air going through the rad at that speed will be many times greater than then fan could ever manage. That said you don't want to overheat in summer traffic either, but I'd check the operation of the fan once the plugs are sorted. You'd also want it working if you force a regen through VIDA.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 18:23   #3
taxi driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I would personally want to deal with them one by one to see what the impact is....

So I'd get the glowplugs sorted - this might cure the regen (it is a plausible explanation).

Once that's bottomed - do you still overheat?

The fan running or not I don't think will make any difference at 55-60 mph, the air going through the rad at that speed will be many times greater than then fan could ever manage. That said you don't want to overheat in summer traffic either, but I'd check the operation of the fan once the plugs are sorted. You'd also want it working if you force a regen through VIDA.
Do you know if fitting a new relay requires programming through Vida?
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 20:38   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi driver View Post
Live data shows temp of 112deg
View the live temperature data after opening all vents, climate temperature dials on maximum heat and climate fans on full blast.

If coolant temperature doesn't drop significantly and if the air out of the vents isn't noticeably warm/hot, you've probably got a clogged heater matrix which may be solved with forward and reverse flushing.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 21:53   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Do you know if fitting a new relay requires programming through Vida?
I've never done one I'm afraid so can't answer...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 22:52   #6
taxi driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
View the live temperature data after opening all vents, climate temperature dials on maximum heat and climate fans on full blast.

If coolant temperature doesn't drop significantly and if the air out of the vents isn't noticeably warm/hot, you've probably got a clogged heater matrix which may be solved with forward and reverse flushing.
The heater controls and selected temp work fine. Even if the matrix was blocked, surely this would just replicate the car temp being selected to low and wouldn't cause the water temp to rise.
Also the confusing thing is that when the car is stationary but engine running, the temp immediately drops a few degrees. No loss of fluid. I even drove the car for 60miles last week at 60mph and no overheating warning came up. As usual when car parked up the cooling fan sounded like a jumbo jet. When live data of cooling fan is monitored it does increase from 23%>97% which indicates the ECU has instructed the Cooling fan control module to ramp up speed.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:17   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
The heater controls and selected temp work fine. Even if the matrix was blocked, surely this would just replicate the car temp being selected to low and wouldn't cause the water temp to rise.
That's not how your cooling system works.
Definitely read what I said again and if you do that, you'll make a bit of progress then we'll see from there.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:57   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Diesel engines produce less heat than petrol engines and it would be quite normal on a cold day if you have the cabin heater on and the car is stationary for a while for the temp gauge to drop below "norm" slightly - especially on the smaller 4-pot FoMoCo engine cars.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 10:34   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Diesel engines produce less heat than petrol engines and it would be quite normal on a cold day if you have the cabin heater on and the car is stationary for a while for the temp gauge to drop below "norm" slightly - especially on the smaller 4-pot FoMoCo engine cars.
Yes I know.
I'm asking the OP to observe temps in different circumstances to see if his car behaves like a normal car.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 12:14   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Yes I know.
I'm asking the OP to observe temps in different circumstances to see if his car behaves like a normal car.
I was responding to the OP when he said "Also the confusing thing is that when the car is stationary but engine running, the temp immediately drops a few degrees. "
1976 Massey Ferguson 135