Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

interesting 1800

Views : 577

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 10:55   #1
amazon69
Premier Member

Default interesting 1800

Spotted this and there are a couple of things to note...the price it fetched, and the lovely IRS from an MX5. I would love to do the latter to either my amazon or 1800s

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...pXfvdavHLXytS8
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 19:29   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I remember seeing a build thread for the car.

Shocking to see the money it fetched considering the engine choice
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 20:02   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

For sure. Where was the build thread? I'd like to look more at the mx5 rear cradle. I was looking at all the pics on the BAT site/link, and some of the work is a bit hapdash I'd say. I'm sure it's quick and probably handles ok but you're right, it is surprising given that motor and the fact that it's not eat your dinner off it clean underneath etc. Different culture US wise when it comes to modding cars though, we're very uptight about it over here compared to the Americans.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 18:37   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

In the car auction world, I think this would qualify for the phrase 'a well sold' car. Interpretation - the buyer was too keen.

I don't think the Ecotec LNF turbo engine is a reason to question the value of the conversion. Presumably, if it was lifted with the transmission from a donor such as a Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky it comes as an integrated package. It may not be as rare as other engine options; but the performance should more than suffice.

As Amazon69 alludes, it is an odd mix of shiny and sloppy. It is almost as if towards the end of the project as the 'big ideas' got completed they got tired of the project and dealing with the niggly details so just slapped the final bits together. The finishing in the trunk and the mess under the dash are a disappointment. That fuel pressure regulator with external gauge mounted near the rear wheel - seriously? Of greater concern is that the underside of the car and remaining original suspension parts all look to be original, as in they have been untouched in the last 58 years. Who knows what nasty surprises reside under the undercoating.

Rather than the engine, I think the overall finished quality of the project would put this car in the maybe $40,000 range tops. It is definitely not a concurs restoration. More of a shiny on the outside restomod being light on the resto part.

Definitely well sold.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote