Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 poor performance - ECM-603D

Views : 1680

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:18   #1
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Default T5 poor performance - ECM-603D

Hi all,

Anyone experienced 'ECM-603D Turbo Control - Too low pressure'?

Symptoms on my car are hesitance at low revs in second gear and sporadic boost when higher up the revs, seems to fade on and off, sometimes holding, other times letting go early. I replaced my TCV at Volvo ~4 years ago now and have another on order. 4 years doesn't seem like very good life expectancy, so doubt this'll fix it.

I also had ECM-1230 air mass - Signal too low a while back but cleaning the MAF seemed to fix this. I've also had the boost pipes pressure tested and they were fine so I don't think it's that.

Anyone any ideas before I start chucking money replacing random sensors.

TIA.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 12:19   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

defenitly wait to see if that new TCV you have ordered will fix it or not. These TCV's are known to go anyway (I always have a spare and recently changed mine as well)

Does sound like a sensor issue though, unless there is a leak. Did you have the garage smoke test it? probably check the pipes for any splits / leaks.

If the MAF sensor isnt throwing any codes might be an idea to look at the MAP sensor as well? I think I have a spare sitting around somewhere.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 12:57   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Have a look at this thread for some ideas:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ighlight=stage

Also consider the fuel pressure regulator. Mine ran like crap and had no codes.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 22:24   #4
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
defenitly wait to see if that new TCV you have ordered will fix it or not. These TCV's are known to go anyway (I always have a spare and recently changed mine as well)

Does sound like a sensor issue though, unless there is a leak. Did you have the garage smoke test it? probably check the pipes for any splits / leaks.

If the MAF sensor isnt throwing any codes might be an idea to look at the MAP sensor as well? I think I have a spare sitting around somewhere.
Yeah, PSL pressure tested the system and said it was fine.

They did say I had a 'tired turbo' but I've not heard of that before. I've had turbos die on cars before and they're not like this, this just feels sensor related.

Did your MAP go bad or did you replace for preventative maintenance?
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:34   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yeah, PSL pressure tested the system and said it was fine.

They did say I had a 'tired turbo' but I've not heard of that before. I've had turbos die on cars before and they're not like this, this just feels sensor related.

Did your MAP go bad or did you replace for preventative maintenance?

my TCV? no not entirely I just replaced it as these are known to go, but after replacing it the car was defenitly a difference.

my MAP is an RSMK2 MAP now and my MAF is an RS MAF, which is why those parts were changed. But I did think that my previous OEM MAF was on the way out as well.

Had loads of MAF issues on previous cars.

Yeh sounds odd for a tired turbo, but will be good to see how it is after the new tcv.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 13:46   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Any update on this one, FM?
Having the same ECM-603D code since few weeks, originally it was thrown with MAF sensor code (and with some acceleration surges), now it only persists on its own and apart from car feeling a bit sluggish it perfectly fine.

MAP sensor is 73k miles old, Bosch
TCV is 33k miles old, Pierburg
CBV is 33k miles old, Volvo
MAF sensor is probably original or not replaced since I got the car (90k miles+)

I have feeling I whould start with MAP sensor and see how it goes, would love to do smoke-test but so far havent found any garage around that does this nearby me...
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 17:24   #7
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Any update on this one, FM?
Sadly not, I've got a new TCV but have been short on time recently. Hoping to fit it on the weekend as the car is too hot to work on when I get home during the week.

I noticed during the week though, occasionally when flooring it I can hear a screech kinda noise when I take my foot off boost and the wastegate opens, I wonder if my wastegate is on it's way out......but then that wouldn't explain the low rev hesitancy - It's a weird one!
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 18:09   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Sadly not, I've got a new TCV but have been short on time recently. Hoping to fit it on the weekend as the car is too hot to work on when I get home during the week.

I noticed during the week though, occasionally when flooring it I can hear a screech kinda noise when I take my foot off boost and the wastegate opens, I wonder if my wastegate is on it's way out......but then that wouldn't explain the low rev hesitancy - It's a weird one!
Gotcha, well please update if you try, interested to hear if helped.
I most likely will start with MAP sensor, will drive for few more days to observe codes and behaviour and will try replacing this to see how it goes.
mine cut offs on high revs, Vida codes usually indicates error appears over 5k rpm from what I noticed...
no harm checking wastegate in your case, but not sure if that would throw the code, maybe...
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 21:01   #9
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Bit of an update but not with any real outcome.

Still not had any time to fit the TCV (never buy a project house ) but I did notice today after a cold start I get a screeching noise when on boost. I could only reproduce this 1-2 times before it went away and could no longer repeat it, so it only happens when the engine is cold I guess.

The engine ticks a little on cold start too so wondering if it's an exhaust manifold leak. Would explain the screech on boost and ticking on cold starts but doesn't explain the lack of boost when hot as usually the leak would close up.

It's booked in on the 29th so will see what the garage says.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 10:44   #10
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Thinking about it, worst case it could be the turbo

Would have thought it would make a noise all the time though not just when cold.