Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annual Servicing - to service or not?

Views : 1850

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:32   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
I'd guess the build-up of condensation in the engine will always have an impact on its internals, not being brought up to temperature nor run often to clear any moisture will take its toll, and will degrade any oil .... in this case the car does seem to have had some motorway miles in the year ... is that enough? the risk and any mitigation is obviously a call for the owner.

However as its a discussion, if it were me I'd do at least an oil and filter change.
The OP is only talking about delaying for a few months and getting it done in January
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:37   #12
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The OP is only talking about delaying for a few months and getting it done in January
Whilst I'd agree, water is water, and despite how long its in there it can never be good for any engine internals, if it were mine, I'd still change the oil and filter.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:30   #13
mr tickle

For the last 20 years driving turbo diesels I have always changed my oil and filter every 6000 miles, for me that is about 3 times a year. Even then it still comes out very black, I can't imagine anything worse than shelling out a small fortune for a new vehicle (or used) like these and leaving it 12k or even 18k miles to do it. I think a while back audi were doing a 24k miles first service on some diesel models!
Seems to have done well for me over the years, I've never had any engine or turbo fails in that time and all for the sake of an extra £50 a year(assuming you buy the oil in bulk as I do).

I'm of the opinion that the op will be just fine not changing the oil, but in the time that I have spent reading this thread and replying to it I could be about halfway through an oil change anyways!

Finally, as we all have strong opinions on engine oil and service intervals, are we all as religious about changing the other 4 vehicle oils that should never be left unchanged too?
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 12:19   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Water and oil do not mix - so in my logic any suggestion that over a period of light use the moisture content in the oil will be a problem (like it can be with older brake fluid) doesn't stack up. Any condensation within the engine will be cleared on the first decent run - engine oil temps are typically 90 degrees plus. The engine is pretty much sealed when not running so longer periods of standing will not mean proportionately more condensation. The days of milky deposits on the underside of the cap and in the breather are largely gone with manual chokes etc.

Like others I tend to change the oil in my cars more often than the stipulated intervals (based solely on mileage) but when did anyone ever post on here that their D5 engine simply wore out in the absence of a head gasket/cambelt failure? I can't ever recall one.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 9th, 2021 at 13:02.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 13:34   #15
robsterpaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
It needs the service.

As an aside, we have just traded in Mrs Familyman's 2012 XC90 and got £2000 more for it because it had a full Volvo history. The dealer told us that if it did not they would have offered bottom book for it and not a penny more, regardless of the condition, so depending on your car's eventual fate it can very significantly impact on the value. Who wants a large, very complex vehicle with evidence of penny pinching in its history? Not new car dealers, it seems.
Just for the sake of argument, how much did that service history cost you overall vs the independent/DIY route?
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 16:50   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsterpaterson View Post
Just for the sake of argument, how much did that service history cost you overall vs the independent/DIY route?
More than £2k at main dealer prices ! A main dealer in Scotland quoted me £127.50 to fit a new fuel filter
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:28   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsterpaterson View Post
I'm sceptical of that figure - £2,000 - to be clear I'm absolutely not suggesting the post is misleading or fabricated, but I think the sales team have told him that as a ruse to keep the new car in their workshops.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 20:35   #18
garethXC

^ or they had extra 'in' the other car so could over value a PX...
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 23:21   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
It needs the service.

The low mileage is detrimental to the efficiency of the filters, who do not get up to temperature so often.

Similarly, the oil will have a higher moisture content. This comes mainly from ambient humidity, which interacts with the oil over time. The more modern the oil, the more comprehensive the additive package, the greater the hygroscopic properties. As such more expensive oils are, somewhat ironically, worse for this sort of use.

As the oil is not getting as hot for as long there is the greater scope for problems with dissolved, emulsified, and free moisture. An engine that is in use for a low mileage actually has a harder time than one that does average mileage, and this is why most manufacturers class low mileage as "arduous use" and place them on a different service regime.

In addition, many items can degrade as much with time as they do with mileage, particularly seals, bushes and rubbers, and the only way to identify this is to get the car in the air during a service and eyeball/pry at them.

I'd be inclined to service it.

As an aside, we have just traded in Mrs Familyman's 2012 XC90 and got £2000 more for it because it had a full Volvo history. The dealer told us that if it did not they would have offered bottom book for it and not a penny more, regardless of the condition, so depending on your car's eventual fate it can very significantly impact on the value. Who wants a large, very complex vehicle with evidence of penny pinching in its history? Not new car dealers, it seems.
You got nothing “extra” for main dealer servicing on a part ex…

Depending on how long you’ve had the car, you’ve just recouped what you spent on servicing at the main dealer… I highly doubt you’ve pocketed anything. Its there way of telling you that you’re getting a great deal & people fall for it. Its just a sales talk.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 9th, 2021 at 23:26.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 19:04   #20
MidnightBlue

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. I've booked it in for an MOT. All being well, I will leave it for a few months before having it serviced.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post: