Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5R boost question / help please

Views : 6424

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:36   #41
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Admittedly I’ve not done that yet which could be a daft move. There is an OBD2 socket and that shows not codes but not sure if that give a full diagnostic?

I’ve not sussed out the under bonnet diagnostics thing yet so that may be a route to look at. Just checked, don’t think there is an under bonnet diagnostic box - because it’s got OBD??

I’ve just fitted a brand new boost control valve this evening but not started the car or taken it for a drive yet as we’ve got stuff on tonight. I’ll take it to work tomorrow and see if anything has changed.
I didn't know any T-5R's had an OBD II port? I know 1995 was an overlap year when they changed. Production data I have says the T-5R was built between August 1994 to July 1995. Mine is a late May 1995 car (so one of the last built) and I have the underbonnet set-up. I thought they didn't switch from the underbonnet diagnostic unit to an interior OBD II until after the T-5R production run..... or did a few slip through?

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 11:37   #42
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
I didn't know any T-5R's had an OBD II port? I know 1995 was an overlap year when they changed. Production data I have says the T-5R was built between August 1994 to July 1995. Mine is a late May 1995 car (so one of the last built) and I have the underbonnet set-up. I thought they didn't switch from the underbonnet diagnostic unit to an interior OBD II until after the T-5R production run..... or did a few slip through?

Regards
John
I'm still in learning mode about what car has what bits, however I have a coin holder in front of the gear stick which has an OBD2 connection underneath it. In the engine bay there's no black box near the ECU (O/S wing) that I can see unless I'm missing it?
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 15:24   #43
s1monc

All T-5Rs are OBD1. 850R OBD2. T-5R doesn’t have the coin holder, 850R does. Maybe someone has converted your T-5R to OBD2, it’s quite easy and common to do. I fitted OBD2 port to my Gul and put it in glovebox but the OBD1 still works as well.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s1monc For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 15:29   #44
s1monc

Vacuum hoses for turbo diagram

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-850-...hoses-diagram/
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 16:20   #45
richmac

Hi,

Interesting problem. Some thoughts for those with more expert knowledge on here than me to comment on:

1. Air system diagnostic - induction smoke test?
2. Exhaust and/or intake manifold leaks?

Given the amount of work that's been done on the car, could it just be confused:

3. Hard ECUs reset, incl. g/box?
4. Full ECUs software reload/update at Volvo?

Best regards.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 20:26   #46
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1monc View Post
All T-5Rs are OBD1. 850R OBD2. T-5R doesn’t have the coin holder, 850R does. Maybe someone has converted your T-5R to OBD2, it’s quite easy and common to do. I fitted OBD2 port to my Gul and put it in glovebox but the OBD1 still works as well.
Well that’s proper weird. The car is a T5R registered October 1995 I think from memory, but there’s no diagnostic area in the engine bay and there’s certainly an OBD port under a rubbery coin holder in front of the gear stick. All paperwork suggests T5R and it has the T5R sticker in the petrol flap.

I’m confused now! Is it a model on the cusp or T5R and 850R maybe?

Last edited by Pupbelly; Sep 17th, 2021 at 20:50.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 20:43   #47
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmac View Post
Hi,

Interesting problem. Some thoughts for those with more expert knowledge on here than me to comment on:

1. Air system diagnostic - induction smoke test?
2. Exhaust and/or intake manifold leaks?

Given the amount of work that's been done on the car, could it just be confused:

3. Hard ECUs reset, incl. g/box?
4. Full ECUs software reload/update at Volvo?

Best regards.
That’s the next stage. I’ll take the car to the guy who looks after my Impreza, he worked on Volvo before moving to Subaru. I don’t have vacuum testing gear or smoke testing kits so he should be able to carry out these test.

This afternoon I have taken all the intercooler hoses off, checked them and refitted them. Nothing to report unfortunately. The intercooler appears to be fine, no visible cracks or issues. No issues with the throttle body pipe work either and the hard pipe down to the turbo is fine. Whilst doing this work I disconnected the battery to power down the ECU for a few hours and whilst the pipe work was off I replaced the throttle position sensor.

I spoke with the people that did the turbo work and it had a new core and a Forge release valve thingy which is piped to a nipple just below the inlet manifold.

I’ve not driven the car yet but it did start up just fine after reconnecting everything.

Interesting that you mention about manifold leaks, I can’t work out if the inlet manifold is leaking a little, there’s a noise which sounds like an click/chuffing/clacking sound that increases with the revs which makes me wonder if the intake has not been fitted correctly or nipped a gasket possibly??

It’s bloody annoying. The car has seen very little use and certainly not abused but it’s lacking something but I’m getting to the point I can’t think of anything more that can be checked.

We’ll take it out tomorrow and see if the throttle position sensor and removing and refitting the intercooler hoses and disconnecting the battery has done anything.

How is a hard rest done out of interest??

Anyone got any thoughts before I admit defeat and ship it off to Mr Subaru??
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:00   #48
s1monc

I’d just take it to the guy you use if he’s any good he will find the cause very quickly, they are pretty simple cars, won’t be anything much.
Find out if it’s still running the stock ECU, quite a lot swap to the later 4.4 ECU as it has better knock sensor management and less chance of bending a rod if you up the boost a bit. ECUs are cheap for these.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 12:05   #49
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Well that’s proper weird. The car is a T5R registered October 1995 I think from memory, but there’s no diagnostic area in the engine bay and there’s certainly an OBD port under a rubbery coin holder in front of the gear stick. All paperwork suggests T5R and it has the T5R sticker in the petrol flap.

I’m confused now! Is it a model on the cusp or T5R and 850R maybe?
It won't be that it was on the cusp of T-5R / R production as there was a gap of some months between cessation of the T-5R and the introduction of the R. The R didn't launch until the spring of 1996.
So 3 possibilities:
1. A very few OBDII T-5R's may have been built by the factory at the end of the production run. - Very possible and if your memory is correct about your registration date being in October then yours would have been one of the very, very last off the production line
2. Someone has converted the car to an internal OBD II. Possible, but I cant see why they would remove the underbonnet code reader.
3. It's not a T-5R but been made a lookalike - I would think unlikely as it would involve substantial work and costs. Stickers and badges are easy and cheap but you would have to change all the seats as these are unique to the T-5R as are the wheels and some other detailed items. If its registered as a T-5R then it almost certainly is. You can always do a vin check and look at all the build plates on the car and decode them for peace of mind - plenty of sources on how to decode the plates on the internet. Also, look at the engine number - it should be a B5234T5 followed by the serial number.

My guess is that it's No 1 of these possibilities as car manufacturers can, and often do, do running changes mid build programme. We used to do it at Ford all the time when I worked there. Annoying whenever you are trying to track down correct parts.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 18:57   #50
Pupbelly

Thought I’d take some photos of the OBD and under bonnet area. The engine code checks out as it should be.
The registration date is Wednesday 25th of October 1995.

Something special or a rogue build

Coolant bottle replaced with a genuine Volvo one today and a bottle of Cataclean added to see if the cat may be sooted up….but I think I’ll send it in to my Subaru guy, if it’s the exhaust that’s blocked, it’s a good excuse for a nice stainless replacement.

Oh and a set of Volvo front discs and pads ordered too.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Sep 18th, 2021 at 19:01.