Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5R boost question / help please

Views : 6431

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 20:15   #21
Pupbelly

This afternoon I decided to have a blitz on the vacuum lines to the turbo control valve, clean the throttle body, check and clean the multi block connectors to the turbo control valve and boost control valve to try eliminate the issues detailed in the other thread of mine about the orange arrow flashing which seemed to point towards a throttle position sensor issue. This involved removing all manner of hoses and tubes but the result appears to have made for a smoother initial start etc but I’ve not yet been for a run.

So regarding the boost…. All vacuum lines replaced with silicone from turbo to boost control valve. Whilst I had the boost control valve off I decided to blow through it. Blowing through the ‘red’ line was hard work and gave a weak flow out of the yellow port. Likewise blowing through the yellow port gave a weak exit through the red.

Should it be hard work or should it be a free flow? Or does the electrical connection shift a valve and increase the flow based on information from the car?

Maybe the boost control valve is dodgy? Can anyone help please?

I’ll see what it’s doing tomorrow as we’re out and about and taking the T5R.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 21:18   #22
ITSv40
VOC Member

Soon after I bought my C70 it started to surge on full acceleration. It was as if I was flooring the accelerator and then lifting my foot off completely then flooring it. I fitted a new boost control valve and cured completely, it now surges through the full range smoothly. I noted the number on the old valve and bought a new one off ebay - genuine Pierburg.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 21:32   #23
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Soon after I bought my C70 it started to surge on full acceleration. It was as if I was flooring the accelerator and then lifting my foot off completely then flooring it. I fitted a new boost control valve and cured completely, it now surges through the full range smoothly. I noted the number on the old valve and bought a new one off ebay - genuine Pierburg.
I’d be glad of a bit of surge! Bugger all surge at the moment!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 13:39   #24
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
The TRV has a diaphragm inside which can split or pinhole. A diaphragm and spring kit is freely available on eBay. Get one made by Kinegawa (they are the original manufacturers) and costs about £30 or so.
Hi John, that's useful info, but I've had a bit of a search and can't find it, is there any chance you could post a link to one or more sellers of this? I might need to do this on mine, and replacing the diaphragm appeals a lot more than replacing the whole thing. Cheers!
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 20:37   #25
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Hi John, that's useful info, but I've had a bit of a search and can't find it, is there any chance you could post a link to one or more sellers of this? I might need to do this on mine, and replacing the diaphragm appeals a lot more than replacing the whole thing. Cheers!
Try doing a search for Volvo on the Kinugawa website.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 21:34   #26
Pupbelly

I was curious as to what the turbo control valve was so decided to saw one in half to gain an understanding. I can’t upload the photos from my phone so I’ll try from work tomorrow for my laptop but it seems to be a magnetic type gadget but to be honest I’m none the wiser how it works!
I thought it would be a diaphragmed valve or something but it’s far from that.
Pics to follow.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 08:55   #27
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/ge...rkitcover.aspx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263690837...MAAOSwwBha-6kS

The eBay listing says Saab but if you scroll down to applications you'll see it covers Volvo and all TD04 turbo applications

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 09:26   #28
Pupbelly

Quote:

The eBay listing says Saab but if you scroll down to applications you'll see it covers Volvo and all TD04 turbo applications

Regards
John
First link doesn't work.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 09:36   #29
Pupbelly

After a bit of research I've ordered a Pierburg boost control valve 9465528 which I am lead to believe is used on the Focus ST too OEM part numbers ‎FORD 1371924, FORD 6M5G9K378AA, VOLVO 30670449, VOLVO 9465528.

Meant to fit and plug in with no modifications. Should be interesting, but deemed a 'upgrade' to the regular round barrel three port valve.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 10:38   #30
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:

Regards
John
Aha! the first link doesn't work but the second is fine - thanks very much, that's the fella!

Cheers