Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is this thing?

Views : 573

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 13:59   #1
Nikolaj83

Default What is this thing?

Hi to everyone!
This is my first post ever since i last year bought my 1988 240. Usually i find all informations somehow, but this i couldnt. I need info about this part - what is it and what is used for... it is located under the left headlight and I know that it is connected with intake manifold using two hoses and seems to have another hose nipple on the bottom i dont know what for... Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1630583572536.jpg (194.3 KB, 33 views)
Nikolaj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 23:12   #2
SwedishScotsman

Default Charcoal canister / filter

Ok, please don’t quote me on this but my GUESS is that it’s a Charcoal Filter that does something with excess fuel vapour before it’s released into atmosphere or routed back to engine via inlet manifold. .

I could be completely wrong (I’m new here too so expecting to be told as much!) but that’s what it looks like to me.

Might be worth reading up on Volvo charcoal filter to see if they gives you any more clue.

Good luck

Oh and if you need one I’m breaking a full 2.3 240 GLT lol 😂 so check my other post for pics
SwedishScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedishScotsman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 09:18   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman View Post
Ok, please don’t quote me on this but my GUESS is that it’s a Charcoal Filter that does something with excess fuel vapour before it’s released into atmosphere or routed back to engine via inlet manifold. .

I could be completely wrong (I’m new here too so expecting to be told as much!) but that’s what it looks like to me.

Might be worth reading up on Volvo charcoal filter to see if they gives you any more clue.

Good luck

Oh and if you need one I’m breaking a full 2.3 240 GLT lol 😂 so check my other post for pics
Good guess, SwedishScotsman.

Looking at the photo and at the OP's location it probably is something to do with emissions; if the OP's car has a B230K engine it's part of the EGR set-up.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 13:25   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd also second the opinion it's part of the charcoal filter system. Would be unusual to find it on a 240 GLT as they were always K-Jet as far as i've ever known and lack the ECU to control the valves to admit the excess fuel vapour held in the charcoal filters for burning off during cruising.

I would guess the OPs engine is a B230F (LH2.4 injection) to control it or as Loki suggested, a B230K with EGR.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 12:31   #5
Nikolaj83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd also second the opinion it's part of the charcoal filter system. Would be unusual to find it on a 240 GLT as they were always K-Jet as far as i've ever known and lack the ECU to control the valves to admit the excess fuel vapour held in the charcoal filters for burning off during cruising.

I would guess the OPs engine is a B230F (LH2.4 injection) to control it or as Loki suggested, a B230K with EGR.
It is 240gl lh 2.2 i think.... Thank you very much for the answers, now i can research more on this part
Nikolaj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikolaj83 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 12:52   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj83 View Post
It is 240gl lh 2.2 i think.... Thank you very much for the answers, now i can research more on this part
If you look on the timing belt cover, it should have the engine code on there, you'll probably also have Lambda Sond on the radiator grille and if so, it's LH2.4, if not and no sign of a cat, Lambda sensor or grille badge, LH2.2. Not forgetting of course it could also be K-Jetronic.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 13:13   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

According to my red Haynes the EVAP system stores vapour from the fuel tank in the charcoal filter when the engine isn't running, and burns it off through the unlet manifold at cruising speed.

It has no electrical connections and the valve works entirely by vacuum.
It was fitted on various engines from 1976 until the end of the run in 1993, including the earlier carburetted engines.
I can find no exhaustive list of why some engines got it and others didn't, but in principle any engine could have the EVAP system.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 14:30   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
According to my red Haynes the EVAP system stores vapour from the fuel tank in the charcoal filter when the engine isn't running, and burns it off through the unlet manifold at cruising speed.

It has no electrical connections and the valve works entirely by vacuum.
It was fitted on various engines from 1976 until the end of the run in 1993, including the earlier carburetted engines.
I can find no exhaustive list of why some engines got it and others didn't, but in principle any engine could have the EVAP system.
Interesting stuff - i've got more experience on the ones controlled by the ECU which let the excess vapour in (again during cruising) while easing the normal amount of fuel metered into the engine to maintain a good mixture control.

Tags
volvo 240