Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2003 dashboard illumination - dim

Views : 711

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2021, 17:05   #1
Paul Sanderson

Default S40 2003 dashboard illumination - dim

We've just started using our first Volvo - an S4 (first series). The car is in very good condition and everything works. There is a knurled rotary adjuster to alter the brightness of the instrument panel, but all it seems to do is alter the brightness of the red pointers and nothing else. If the figures on the dials behind are altering then it is such a small difference that it is difficult to decide if anything is happening or not. The two digital displays (odometer and clock) certainly don't alter.
With my old eyes, I could do with everything being brighter and can't believe that Volvo took the trouble and expense to design in a brightness control... but one that only affects the pointers and not the stuff you actually want to see. In daylight all the dashboard information (dials and digital) is dim and hard to read. Any opinions on how the dashboard lighting can be bettered?
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 18:23   #2
magnuz
Ancient

It maybe that some bulbs have blown,or become blackened ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 02:30   #3
V40T4R

Pictures please
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 09:17   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

All lights on my dash dim - that is everything in the drivers display and all the centre panel including the radio. The only lights that do not dim are the switches on the doors and the red triangle on the hazard switch.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 15:55   #5
Paul Sanderson

Now that you've mentioned the radio and the red hazard triangle, I recall that they're not lit up at all. Clearly I need to check a wiring diagram to see if (hopefully) a fuse controls all the dud items though not the pointers. Replacing a fuse would be an easy solution, but anything beyond that is likely to be a bit tricky, especially if it involves going behind the dash. Once upon a time I'd dive in, but nowadays those days are long gone!
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 16:07   #6
Paul Sanderson

OK, done that with a downloaded pdf. Completely incomprehensible..!
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 01:43   #7
V40T4R

Normal Cars that age light bulbs have broken filament
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 16:36   #8
Paul Sanderson

Does that mean that if one fails then none of the others will work... even though those others are OK? If not, then all would have had to have failed, which seems unlikely.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 17:57   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sanderson View Post
Does that mean that if one fails then none of the others will work... even though those others are OK? If not, then all would have had to have failed, which seems unlikely.
Each bulb can fail independently and not affect the others.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 16:17   #10
Paul Sanderson

That suggests it's not a bulb fault, but something further upstream that affects all. I've a Haynes manual – so that's better than nothing – and although anything electrical is bamboozling to me, I can see that the things that don't light up all run off one section of the diagram. I've no idea if that's just a diagramatic representation or if it actually is one unit, say a fusebox or something. Whoever compiled the diagram didn't trouble themselves to identify it.
Unfortunately, the temp gauge and fuel gauge are in that section as well but both work fine, whereas the radio illumination that doesn't work is in a different section altogether. However, I do know that auto electrical diagrams for what seems to be your car aren't necessarily completely accurate – the manufacturer often makes changes to the way it wires things even in the same model range.