Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

high emissions

Views : 6395

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2021, 14:42   #41
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
while running the car up to temperature and with the expansion cap off, there are small amounts of bubbling in the expansion tank.and when i rev the car there is the odd large bubbling coming from the right pipe(nearest to the auxillary belt) of the 2 that lead to the expansion tank....i dipped my finger in the exp tank and it is clear of any oil....once i put the cap on there was hardly any bubbling only when i pressed the 2 small pipes....also blue smoke rising from the back of the engine when revving,as well as lots of smoke from the exhaust.hope i am making sense....car not over heating according to the gauge....its in the middle.....can someone tell me the best way to access the turbo so i can inspect it..volvo v50 diesl 2007 thanks
What colour is the smoke?
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 14:45   #42
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
It might be useful to people to see a video of the engine when it's revving.
uploaded now short video https://youtu.be/oWuILHkNRZc

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 21st, 2021 at 16:12.
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 14:59   #43
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
What colour is the smoke?
manly white and some blue....it smokes blue when revving it when looking at the back of the engine cant show exhaust as on my own....short video https://youtu.be/oWuILHkNRZc

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 21st, 2021 at 15:55.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 16:15   #44
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
manly white and some blue....it smokes blue when revving it when looking at the back of the engine cant show exhaust as on my own....short video https://youtu.be/oWuILHkNRZc
Look at the engine cover in your video… its wobbling on its own. That looks odd.

Looks like something underneath that cover is causing it to move. The injectors are underneath that cover, you haven’t got a leaking one have you?

Or is the cover not fully secured in place, causing it to move with the engine vibrations?

There doesn’t seem to be any oil in the coolant… that’s a good sign. Take your dipstick out & look at it. Is there any sludge on it?

Temperature gauge is normal… that’s another good sign.

Has the car lost coolant at all?

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 21st, 2021 at 16:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 17:18   #45
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Look at the engine cover in your video… its wobbling on its own. That looks odd.

Looks like something underneath that cover is causing it to move. The injectors are underneath that cover, you haven’t got a leaking one have you?

Or is the cover not fully secured in place, causing it to move with the engine vibrations?

There doesn’t seem to be any oil in the coolant… that’s a good sign. Take your dipstick out & look at it. Is there any sludge on it?

Temperature gauge is normal… that’s another good sign.

Has the car lost coolant at all?
its funny seeing that cover doing that..i took the engine cover off and pushed it back on.started the car and seems ok.....dipstick nice and clean.....looking at the engine from the front of the car inector 1 looks oily looking the others are nice and dry....only lost coolant when i removed the pipe at the top back of the engine(the one that joins the egr valve)...i haven't been able to take the car for a run but got the car up to temperature and the coolant has stayed at the same level very short video of excessive smoke from exhaust thanks...https://youtu.be/h4bzfYkkXqc

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 21st, 2021 at 17:42.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 19:14   #46
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
its funny seeing that cover doing that..i took the engine cover off and pushed it back on.started the car and seems ok.....dipstick nice and clean.....looking at the engine from the front of the car inector 1 looks oily looking the others are nice and dry....only lost coolant when i removed the pipe at the top back of the engine(the one that joins the egr valve)...i haven't been able to take the car for a run but got the car up to temperature and the coolant has stayed at the same level very short video of excessive smoke from exhaust thanks...https://youtu.be/h4bzfYkkXqc
Maybe the cover wasn’t clipped on properly.

I don’t think you have a head gasket issue. No coolant loss, no sludge on the dipstick, car isn’t overheating, no oil in the coolant reservoir.

Can you smell any exhaust fumes in the coolant reservoir? Obviously, be very careful when doing this. Let the car cool down before you start sniffing in the reservoir lol.

That amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust isn’t normal though.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 21st, 2021 at 19:17.
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 21:04   #47
neanderthal
Master Member

thanks again for your reply i will check that out in the morning and let you know thanks for now
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 22:42   #48
Kev0607
Premier Member

Worth a try, but I’m still not convinced its a head gasket problem.

Something at the rear of the engine is spewing out smoke as you rev it, or so it seems.

Check for any split pipes/hoses. I think some of the turbo pipework is around that area. Also, look underneath the car whilst someone revs the engine to see if you can see anything like where the smoke is coming from.

Is your intercooler in good condition? i.e No leaks or cracks.

Bad intercoolers and/or split pipes can cause smoke.

Does the car need much oil, as in do you need to top it up frequently?

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 21st, 2021 at 22:51.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 19:20   #49
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Worth a try, but I’m still not convinced its a head gasket problem.

Something at the rear of the engine is spewing out smoke as you rev it, or so it seems.

Check for any split pipes/hoses. I think some of the turbo pipework is around that area. Also, look underneath the car whilst someone revs the engine to see if you can see anything like where the smoke is coming from.

Is your intercooler in good condition? i.e No leaks or cracks.

Bad intercoolers and/or split pipes can cause smoke.

Does the car need much oil, as in do you need to top it up frequently?
apologies for the late reply had a look at the car this afternoon and found oil leaking from a pipe at the back of the engine(see pic 1 and 2) so removed these(see pics 3 and 4)and gave them another clean out.all seems fine.slight smoking from the back of the engine, i think thats from cleaning the egr and the other thing out that attaches to it....as mentioned in my other messages i lost most of my oil so added a litre of oil(thats all i had)....on first starting up a small amount of blue/grey smoke comes out of the exhaust but after around a minute there's lots of white smoke.....while revving the car i noticed a lot of bubbles in the fuel line.....is the intercooler in front of the radiator.if it is i cant see to know if its leaking or cracked.....checked all hoses and the one that joins the turbo i could see a small amount of fresh oil on the pipe....would it swing more towards the turbo.....if yes anyone have instructions or a video of how to remove it....it looks a big job thanks....https://youtu.be/xLV7MiA16rk https://youtu.be/184xmH5Y5wo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210822_100256.jpg (122.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20210822_121759.jpg (286.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20210822_121827.jpg (369.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210822_130849.jpg (287.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210817_134600.jpg (318.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 22nd, 2021 at 19:55.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 00:53   #50
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Do not start your engine if you don't have the correct amount of oil in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willber G For This Useful Post: