Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

high emissions

Views : 6414

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2021, 10:55   #31
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
hi,thank you for the quick reply i did see that video but was not sure if mine was the same process as someone on the forum said that you have to remove the manifold? i am a bit thick(hence my name) is this wrong....and would i have to replace any seals or anything else while they are apart.....and once the injectors are out can i check these myself or would i need to take them to a garage.thanks
I'm fairly sure that video relates to your model, but I wouldn't like to say 100%.

You can test them with is a multimeter in a sense, but that's not particularly accurate because that'll only show that the injectors are getting an electrical connection. Another words, the multimeter test only shows whether the electrical part of the injector (the connector plug at the top) is working or not... it won't show whether the injector itself is actually working. You could have a fine electrical connection, but the injector could still be dodgy basically. You don't need to remove the injectors to test the electric connectors.

The other option to see the operation of the injectors is do a leak back test. You don't need to remove the injectors to do this.

Don't just buy injectors for the sake of it. Test them first & take it from there. If you do remove injectors, you should replace the washers/seals. You can buy a mounting kit for that, but as I said, you don't need to remove them unless you come across one/more than one that's totally knackered.

I don't know your mechanical ability. Its not rocket science to do a leak back test or test with a multimeter. However, I wouldn't start taking stuff apart if you didn't know what you were doing either. That isn't to sound offensive in any way, but you do need some mechanical "know how" to do this.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 20:12   #32
neanderthal
Master Member

i was thinking of changing the head gasket,but my local volvo needs me to strip it down before they can tell me what i need....is there a guide anywhere....its a volvo v50 2.0 diesel 2007.thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 20:48   #33
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
i was thinking of changing the head gasket,but my local volvo needs me to strip it down before they can tell me what i need....is there a guide anywhere....its a volvo v50 2.0 diesel 2007.thanks.
Why would you change the head gasket?

That isn’t something you just “think” of doing.

How do you know there’s a problem with the head gasket?

Its a bit of a drastic change from injectors to a head gasket. Being honest, this isn’t something I’d suggest tackling yourself. If you don’t know how to change injectors, then stay well clear of the head gasket. No offence intended, I’m just telling you the truth.

Don’t just replace things for the sake of it. These things need testing first, otherwise you’re throwing money away.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 20th, 2021 at 20:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 23:11   #34
neanderthal
Master Member

i fully understand where your coming from kev ive seen so many people on here throwing tons of money at garages and still not be fully fixed.so i thought i would try the gasket from what a mechanic said going by the symptons i told him(loss of oil..loss of coolant and frothing.....and at the same time while i have the injectors out send them to him...or find the cheapest option of finding someone with knowledge and vida in yorkshire...and then have a go myself.this is why i am asking for anyone with instructions or advice of how to do certain things or vida.i will not attempt it if i cannot find or get instructions on how to regards

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 21st, 2021 at 00:18.
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 09:33   #35
Keep

Smile

I'm in leeds if u wanna use my vida thing cant pm lol not posted enough times..

Edit just seen ur last post. Coolant and oil mixing you found your problem.
Unless theres some oil cooler that uses coolant on that engine, most likely head gasket.. but there are other parts.

Is there an oil cooler on those engines?
It's a device where coolant circulates around an oil chamber or something like that..

Last edited by Keep; Aug 21st, 2021 at 09:39.
Keep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 09:55   #36
neanderthal
Master Member

hi keep, oil not mixing with coolant thankfully.....the problem i have now though is the car has no m.o.t and is badly smoking i may get pulled over.would you have the skills to be able to diagnose the fault with your vida if i could get the car to you....i dont know if it has an oil cooler.i havent noticed one though regards
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 11:31   #37
Kev0607
Premier Member

Is the car overheating?

Can you see bubbles in the expansion tank?
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 11:37   #38
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Is the car overheating?

Can you see bubbles in the expansion tank?
just going to check the car now and get it up to temperature i will report back soon thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 12:15   #39
neanderthal
Master Member

while running the car up to temperature and with the expansion cap off, there are small amounts of bubbling in the expansion tank.and when i rev the car there is the odd large bubbling coming from the right pipe(nearest to the auxillary belt) of the 2 that lead to the expansion tank....i dipped my finger in the exp tank and it is clear of any oil....once i put the cap on there was hardly any bubbling only when i pressed the 2 small pipes....also blue smoke rising from the back of the engine when revving,as well as lots of smoke from the exhaust.hope i am making sense....car not over heating according to the gauge....its in the middle.....can someone tell me the best way to access the turbo so i can inspect it..volvo v50 diesl 2007 thanks

Last edited by neanderthal; Aug 21st, 2021 at 14:28.
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 14:33   #40
Willber G
Upstanding Member

It might be useful to people to see a video of the engine when it's revving.