Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sad story. Can anyone help.

Views : 962

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:55   #1
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Default Sad story. Can anyone help.

Hi All.The subject is a 2004 2.0 litre V40 sport. I took it in for a service and MOT .It needed 2 new tyres and a rear brake caliper and a couple of minor corrections and the work was all completed. Whilst the car was outside the garage's workshop overnight awaiting collection by my daughter who was using the car at the time, someone stole the catalytic converter and in doing so ruined the entire exhaust system,leaving it a mangled mess. The mechanic owner of the workshop,who is a friend of my daughter has agreed to replace the exhaust and I have offered him a contribution,because his insurance will not cover him. The problem arises with the replacement exhaust.The replacement exhaust bears the same part no.as the original but I am told it doesn't fit,in particular the down pipe is not the same. No explanation is offered by Volvo and the mechanic says he may have found a "rare downpipe" advertised as a volvo part on E-bay but it is £1000 just for the downpipe. Can anyone explain this please?
acousticplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 15:44   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Youre a generous man offering to contribute. It was in the mechanics care, entirely his responsibility. He should be the one running asking why bits don't fit.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 15:52   #3
XCR
Master Member

Tell him you will collect it once it is done. Give him seven days after which you'll be hiring a car and sending him the bill.
Get some legal advice regarding small claims court.
Ask to see the eBay ad for the £1000 downpipe too.
Somethings not right here....
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 16:29   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

When I read your thread title I thought you were starting a crowdfunding just giving page. As others have said: something isn't right here. A quick ebay trawl found several 2004 V40 downpipes listed for between £30 - £50. There is nothing special about them.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 16:51   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

a good exhaust company could build a full custom exhaust for less than £1000 i think they just dont want to fix it .sounds like an excuse so you will take it somewhere else
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 18:42   #6
XCR
Master Member

Any further comments OP ?
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 19:12   #7
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Hi.Thanks for your thoughts.I'm waiting to hear further from the guy and will report as soon as I can. He is well known to my Daughter and her partner,having looked after their three vehicles for many years,so trying to be as fair as I can. One thing that just occurred to me is that the car is 2004 registered but has my personal plate on it which shows as a 2001 registration. Is it possible or likely that any changes were made between 2001 and 2004, although he does assure me the part number is the same?
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 20:54   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

I'm not certain if there are any changes, but it is unlikely. Any changes would have been made in around 2000 when the model changed from the Phase1 to Phase2. 2004 was the runout year, so most likely they were emptying the parts bins not redesigning components. There was a mild facelift in 2003 when the three spoke steering wheel and redesigned instrument cluster was introduced but that was about it.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 13:33   #9
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Hi All. I'm pleased to say that I have my v40 back. She is fully serviced with a brand new MOT and a new exhaust. Not quite sure of the mechanics of the exhaust replacement but I'm told,with the help of a Swedish website,the guy was able to identify the correct part number and sourced it through his local supplier. There is however some not so good news, he thinks that the VVT pully needs replacing. I'll post a separate thread about that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acousticplayer For This Useful Post: