Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just when you think all is sorted - A3 (ABS) fault code 443

Views : 1347

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 14:03   #1
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Default Just when you think all is sorted - A3 (ABS) fault code 443

Hi All,

After a drive in the T-5R on Sunday to keep the battery topped up, the ABS and TRACS lights came on. Read the codes just now and it's giving me:

443 - Electrical or Mechanical fault in hydraulic modulator pump motor.

That's the worst case code really as it could mean a replacement ABS pump unit if that's had a major failure. Has anyone had this problem and what "fixes" are there (apart from a new unit)?

Thanks
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 14:26   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It doesn't sound like the typical symptoms but have you considered the common problem of 'dry' solder joints in the ABS controller? with a broken connection in there it could throw up a false fault code.

I can empathise with 'Just when you think it's sorted', I've just replaced both wishbones, ARB droplinks, a steering rack gaiter and a CV joint boot on mine for the MOT, took too long as I had problems getting parts and working in the snow etc. The CV boot was stretchy one but in cleaning the crap away before trying to fit it I must have brushed too hard at the ABS reluctor ring and brushed away a rusty tooth as the ABS now fires every time between 20 and 10 mph, at least all the nuts and bolts should come undone easier this time round

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 15:16   #3
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
It doesn't sound like the typical symptoms but have you considered the common problem of 'dry' solder joints in the ABS controller? with a broken connection in there it could throw up a false fault code.
Hi Dave, I've just read of dry solder joints as a possible cause of this problem, so good call,

I'm going to go through the system from fusebox through to pump and check fuses, clean all connectors of the control module and the modulator/pump unit and see where that gets me.
If its a dry joint in the control unit, that should be easy enough to fix but if its in the modulator unit I guess it will have to be taken out to inspect and fix if necessary. Or can it be done in situ - anyone know?

Regards
John
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 22:32   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

If it is a 'dry' joint (emphasis on if) a possible quick bodge fix is to wedge something like a bit of card between the plug and the unit to push the plug to one side, the 'dry' joint is actually where the solder has cracked which occurs mostly where the pins for the plug fit into the circuit board, pushing the plug to the side pushes those cracks back closed. As I say it's all a bodge but for me it meant I could drive for a couple of weeks without a code. Fixing the dry joints requires splitting the module box open which I did in a brutal manner but you do need to remove the control module box from the car, no need to remove the pump unit and brake lines as it can be unbolted from the pump unit relatively easily.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 00:07   #5
Cookeh
Premier Member

Sounds like damaged/missing insulation on the pump power wires to me (the two wires running from under the top of the black casing into the ABS module connector). The wiring here often deterioates, leading to shorts.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 10:39   #6
Monty rudge

Default abs

Hi i had similar problems with c70 and traced it to pump motor. Removed pump motor and took it a part cleaned inside of gunge and reassembled it works fine. Important point when removing pump from abs module be very careful.
Monty rudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monty rudge For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 18:39   #7
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Thanks for suggestions so far. I'll be following up on these over the next week. Meanwhile, if anyone else has ideas or experience of this problem, please keep on posting.

John
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:13   #8
attilat5

Hi John

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wondered if you managed to resolve your abs error code issue?

My abs and tracs light came on and I did a scan and it came up with the same DTC as you.

Hoping its just dry solder joints.
attilat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:48   #9
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilat5 View Post
Hi John

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wondered if you managed to resolve your abs error code issue?

My abs and tracs light came on and I did a scan and it came up with the same DTC as you.

Hoping its just dry solder joints.
Yes, I resolved it - an easy fix. Turned out to be two simple issues. The earth strap at the back of the engine was loose so tightened it up. And whilst I was at it, I cleaned all the pins on the main multipin ABS connector using switch cleaner and "air in a can". Bingo, all was well again and has been ever since.

The 850 doesn't suffer the dry joint problem to any great degree (though it can happen rarely). It's the s/v70's that have this problem. The ABS unit changed and it's this later one that suffers the most.

Regards
John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 22:44   #10
attilat5

Very helpful and glad to hear you got it sorted!
attilat5 is offline   Reply With Quote