Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 GL fifty shades of grey turbo conversion

Views : 16203

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2021, 20:21   #151
Ian21401
Premier Member

Well done Luke.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 20:59   #152
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Great news Luke - 50 shades of Grrrrrrrrrrrr! will change to 50 shades of G..........one!
Haha, hopefully it won't be back any time soon apart from to fit the rear seats from an S90 to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Loved reading this thread Luke. You have saved the car from the crusher and saved the engine/gearbox which now live on in other vehicles. A very motivating post.

Any other projects?

Have a well deserved rest!

James
Thanks James

I've got to finish off my 940 by early next week!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290481

Then I've got the 760 turbo saloon to restore. A mate of mine has also informed me of a 760 turbo auto estate barn find so I'm hoping to hear about that soon.

There's also Dave's Rover to do hopefully all being well.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 16:17   #153
360beast
Go redblock or go home

S90 half leather half alacantra rear seats fitted with limousine head rests. Customer will have to get the centre head rest retrimmed as I doubt we will find a saloon middle head rest in grey leather.

Thank you to RWDKev for supplying the head rests and child seat and for picking the S90 seats up for us, top man!!!

Photos in the links below.

https://flic.kr/p/2mbYX6E

https://flic.kr/p/2mbYX6V
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 16:51   #154
volvo always
Premier Member

Kev is a top bloke! Sorted me a rear leather seat and helped fit it!

Thanks. Kev.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jul 18th, 2021 at 16:53.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 15:02   #155
360beast
Go redblock or go home

She's baaaaaaaack...

Customer phoned me up complaining of a knocking noise, he brought it over to me and I was surprised he actually made it over, I jacked it up and span the one wheel on the back and you could see the diff physically shaking! This was Sunday evening, I told him he there was no way he was going home in it as it could potentially end very badly.

Luckily I had a 3.54 ratio axle that he wanted fitting at some point anyway as his is a 3.91 ratio so 70mph is roughly 3200rpm so his economy is in the very low 20's as he mainly does motorway driving.

So I ordered castrol 80w90 epx GL5 oil from amazon with guaranteed next day delivery, yesterday I had to get the job done as he needed the car for the Tuesday.

The owner came down to give me a hand with it.

Unfortunately I couldn't start the axle swap until 1pm, being 50 shades it fought me the whole way on every bolt possible but by 7pm the axle was in and everything was connected back up. The oil still hadn't arrived and the owner had removed the diff cover, drained the oil and cleaned it internally with degrease to remove any bits of filth. The diff pinion was also seizing after 3 turns, after being sat outside for over a year there was surface rust on about 6 teeth on the crown wheel, the owner cleaned the rust off and hurrah it all worked as it should. So we had no choice but to wait for the oil to arrive, we went and got a Chinese while waiting

So at about 9pm the oil arrived, I chucked it in and we took it up the dual carriageway, absolutely spot on, no issues at all! One very happy owner and one very knackered me.

I didn't take any photos as I was more interested in getting the job done but the customer took a photo as the new axle was lined up ready to lift in to place.

2021-09-14_02-40-39 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Last edited by 360beast; Sep 14th, 2021 at 15:46.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 15:10   #156
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad those 6 teeth cleaned up ok and solved the problem on that 3/4 turn diff Luke!

I'm surprised he actually made it to yours having heard the sound it made on your video!

He'll probably complain it's not so lively with the 3.54 diff in there but he'll not complain about the improved economy!

When are you opening the sweepstake for how long it takes him to break something else on it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 15:50   #157
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Glad those 6 teeth cleaned up ok and solved the problem on that 3/4 turn diff Luke!

I'm surprised he actually made it to yours having heard the sound it made on your video!

He'll probably complain it's not so lively with the 3.54 diff in there but he'll not complain about the improved economy!

When are you opening the sweepstake for how long it takes him to break something else on it?
The best bit is it had been making noises for a week before he got to me!

It has barely made a difference on the performance front tbh, if anything it is better as you can hold it in each gear for a bit longer.

Hopefully it won't need anything major doing for a while, next big job he wants to do is get a stainless steel exhaust for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 17:36   #158
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The best bit is it had been making noises for a week before he got to me!

It has barely made a difference on the performance front tbh, if anything it is better as you can hold it in each gear for a bit longer.

Hopefully it won't need anything major doing for a while, next big job he wants to do is get a stainless steel exhaust for it.
I found similar when i put a 3.54 in my 760, marginally sluggish when the loud pedal is first planted then the torque makes better use of the taller gearing.

Can't believe he waited a week (or more?) before getting it to you!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 17:41   #159
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Last time 50 shades was here I noticed that the fuel hose that someone had replaced from the fuel filter to the rail was perishing, I believe it is because it isn't e10 rated.

So new e10 hose was ordered and fitted, I also changed the fuel filter while there as it looked like it hadn't been done for a while, I believe it was the original one after removing it.

2021-10-24_05-34-34 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 21:06   #160
360beast
Go redblock or go home

50 shades owner came over a few days ago as he said it was sluggish to start and was worried it was the starter motor on its way out. Luckily nothing was wrong with it and it was starting fine so nothing needed to be done. I did however do a drain check to make sure it wasn't draining and it was only pulling 30 milliamps so I've got no reason to suspect the battery is being drained.

He did say that he has never owned a car as nice as this and he absolutely loves it, he wants to get a stainless steel exhaust made for it next and to also swap the lights to clear lights. So if anyone knows of any clear saloon tail lights around let me know and also a boot spoiler but that's likely to be as rare as hens teeth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: