Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 Volvo V70 AWD

Views : 3061

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 18:57   #1
kirkwallcity

Default 2010 Volvo V70 AWD

Hi guys,

I purchased my V70 a year ago and earlier this year asked my local independent mechanic to service it and change the brake fluid, transmission oil and service the Haldex system.

A couple of days after this, the AWD Disabled error message came up, so I took it back to him. He confirmed that the AWD pump was knackered, so he ordered a new one. Fast forward to two weeks ago (due to lockdown) and he fitted the new pump. However, since then there has been a vibration from the rear at low speed acceleration. I took it back again and he thinks it is coming from the propshaft and says he will realign it.

A couple of things concern me. Firstly, he said he had to break the pump out when it was changed, despite confirming that they had it out when they serviced the Haldex. Secondly, I am concerned that running it meantime, if there is something wrong with the propshaft, will do further damaged.

Car is a 80,000 miler with full history and has been well maintained by the previous (undertaker) owner.

Thoughts?

Bob
2006 Volvo XC90 D5 SE R5HPM (SOLD)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE SK03FLZ (SOLD)
kirkwallcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 23:39   #2
roundhill

Could have disconnected the propshaft and not marked it. Its been put back in the wrong orientation.
roundhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 23:42   #3
XC70Virgin

Sounds to me like you need someone who knows what they're doing. Prop shaft now out of balance as it wasn't marked. Basic stuff.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 21:14   #4
amazondean
amazondean

As far as i am aware When a prop shaft is balanced it doesn't know where it sits on the car! It is balanced on a machine. It shouldn't matter where it is bolted back up on the car!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:17   #5
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
As far as i am aware When a prop shaft is balanced it doesn't know where it sits on the car! It is balanced on a machine. It shouldn't matter where it is bolted back up on the car!
Not sure I agree - traditional engineering teaching suggests you should always mark the flanges on both the shaft and the flanges on the gearbox/axle to ensure correct re-assembly. Traditionally this was done with a centre punch on both flanges or a hacksaw cutting a small groove into both.
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:42   #6
Whyman
Premier Member

I had problems with mybAWD system when the vehicle was almost 3 years old.

First time pump cleaned out and oil changed, 2nd visit 2weeks later new pump fitted. Approx 2 weeks later another pump fitted and a software update. No problems since then.

Perhapds you need the software update?
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:50   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilit View Post
Not sure I agree - traditional engineering teaching suggests you should always mark the flanges on both the shaft and the flanges on the gearbox/axle to ensure correct re-assembly. Traditionally this was done with a centre punch on both flanges or a hacksaw cutting a small groove into both.
That's only if they were balanced on the car , I don't know of any cars that had propshafts balanced on the car ... They are balanced as a unit off the car so it dosn't matter how you bolt them on ..
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 12:50   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Its been said but the propshaft is balanced as a discreet assembly, despite what some manuals might say (including Haynes) there is no requirement to mark the flanges when removing or put back the same way. If you were splitting the propshaft to change the centre bearing - that would be different.

I'd check the flanges are mated correctly and all bolts are correctly tight, including the centre bearing carrier.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 14:10   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Its been said but the propshaft is balanced as a discreet assembly, despite what some manuals might say (including Haynes) there is no requirement to mark the flanges when removing or put back the same way. If you were splitting the propshaft to change the centre bearing - that would be different.

I'd check the flanges are mated correctly and all bolts are correctly tight, including the centre bearing carrier.
Quite right ! I think this old wives tale ( of which there are many on here ) comes from the 1950s when perhaps propshafts were balanced on the car if there were vibrations on final road test !

Tags
haldex, prop hs